Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM

29 posts, read 132,910 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information regarding good neighborhoods and property values in Dunmore? Especially on or around 6th St. would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 02:43 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,726,888 times
I'm looking for that also!

Old 01-18-2007, 06:28 PM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Thumbs up Dunmore---A Fine Place to Call Home

In general, the entire community of Dunmore is a very tidy, well-kept former streetcar suburb to the city of Scranton. There's a small downtown area known as "Dunmore Corners" with a bridal shop, candy shop, banks, restaurants, and other small businesses. The "Hollywood" neighborhood, near to the campus of Marywood University and the "Green Ridge" area of Scranton is the more "sought-after" part of the town, in my opinion, due to its historic homes and tree-lined streets. There's also a few subdivisions in town, including Mount Margaret Estates, which is a very posh community located near to Lake Scranton, as well as the Swinick Development, which is the tract-housing you can see behind the sound barriers on I-81 near the I-84/I-380 split. It was recently announced that Bishop O'Hara, Dunmore's Roman Catholic high school, would be closing at the end of the schoolyear as part of a major effort by the Diocese of Scranton to reduce its expenditures, so whether or not that will have a ripple effect on the town proper (i.e. a spike in school taxes to rent trailers and increase staffing for emergency classroom space due to the sudden influx of high school students and/or a whammy to nearby businesses that relied heavily on traffic from the school) still remains unclear at this time.
The wage tax in Dunmore is lower than the 3.4% wage tax in Scranton, making it a popular "big small-town atmosphere" alternative to the Electric City. In general, Dunmore is mostly just home to single-family dwellings, some older stately mansions converted into apartments and/or offices, churches, parks, and the Dunmore Corners business district. The 6th Street area is in a more well-established, working-class portion of Dunmore to the south of Dunmore Corners. This particular neighborhood lacks the historic character of Hollywood and Green Ridge, but it's still in a tranquil setting, and prices are probably much less inflated here as well. Dunmore has its own public school district, as well as being home to Marywood University, the Scranton State School for the Deaf, and a YMCA. It's very convenient to I-81, Center City Scranton, and the Viewmont Shopping District.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:48 PM

Smile Some Dunmore Listings

WBAdvocate, I'll tackle you first before addressing "I Love PA." Since you're so fond of your current home in South Wilkes-Barre, I'm assuming you're inquiring for a potential multi-unit investment property and/or a "flipping" venture. Here are some properties currently listed by the Greater Scranton Board of Realtors that may pique your interest:

1743-1745 Jefferson Avenue. 2-Family Home (Up/Down). $209,900. Total Annual Taxes: $2,747. 39' x 109' Lot. 2,640 Square Feet. Built in 1939. 2-Car Detached Garage.

1517 Quincy Avenue, Hollywood. 3-Family Home (2-Unit + Efficiency). $169,900. Total Annual Taxes: $3,126. 35' x 163' Lot. 2,592 Square Feet.

1804 Electric Street. 2-Family Home (Up/Down). $159,000. Total Annual Taxes: $1,888. Irregular Lot. Built in 1950. 2-Car Detached Garage.

417 Smith Street. 3-Family Home (2-Unit + Apartment). $139,900. Total Annual Taxes: $2,400. 50' x 101' Lot. Built in 1925.

237 South Apple Street. 2-Family Home (Up/Down). $129,900. Total Annual Taxes: $1,682. 60' x 146' Lot. 1,200 Square Feet. Built in 1960.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up Some Single-Family Dunmore Listings in Development Settings

I LOVE PA, here's a few options for you in Dunmore. I know you said you were looking ideally for some sort of development-style setting, so here's your only two options first before I show you some others.

607 Shirley Lane, Swinick Development. $319,000. 10 Rooms, 3 BR, 3 BA. 160' x 180' Lot. 1,958 Square Feet. Built in 1976. 2-Car Attached Garage. Annual Property Taxes: $3,360.

312 Erie Street. $299,900. 10 Rooms, 4 BR, 3 BA. 75' x 119' Lot. 2,508 Square Feet. Built in 1996. 2-Car Attached Garage. Annual Property Taxes: $3,200.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Smile Non-Development Listings

416 North Blakely Street. $345,000. 9 Rooms, 4 BR, 2.5 BA. 100' x 170' Lot. 2,202 Square Feet. Built in 1856. Annual Property Taxes: $2,060.

1733 Jefferson Avenue. $299,900. 7 Rooms, 4 BR, 2 BA. 44' x 181' Lot. 2,124 Square Feet. Built in 1910. Annual Property Taxes: $1,866.

505 Boyle Street. $285,000. 10 Rooms, 4 BR, 2.5 BA. 48' x 128' Lot. 2,600 Square Feet. Built in 1920. Annual Property Taxes: $2,984.

429 West Drinker Street. $250,000. 10 Rooms, 4 BR, 1.5 BA. 71' x 90' Lot. 2,300 Square Feet. Built in 1890. Annual Property Taxes: $2,680.

1106 Monroe Avenue. $239,900. 10 Rooms, 5 BR, 2.5 BA. 40' x 160' Lot. 1,838 Square Feet. Built in 1930. Annual Property Taxes: $2,300.

1730 Jefferson Avenue. $235,000. 6 Rooms, 3 BR, 3 BA. 33' x 91' Lot. 1,823 Square Feet. Built in 1935. Annual Property Taxes: $2,403.

1513 Clay Avenue. $159,000. 6 Rooms, 3 BR, 1 BA. 40' x 150' Lot. 1,554 Square Feet. Built in 1924. Annual Property Taxes: $2,714.

221 Green Street. $135,000. 6 Rooms, 3 BR, 1 BA. 90' x 180' Lot. 1,360 Square Feet. Built in 1930. Annual Property Taxes: $1,050.

As you can see, real estate prices, overall, in Dunmore tend to be on the pricey side for Lackawanna County due to the town's quiet reputation and convenience to Center City, I-81, and the Viewmont Shopping District.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:17 PM

It would be my pleasure to head on up to snap a photo tour of Dunmore as well if any of you would be interested? I'm been working myself to the bone lately between King's and Lowe's, but I should have some free time next week.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,726,888 times
Many Thanks as always to the very knowledgeable ScrantonWilkesBarre guy!!
I am familiar with Dunmore, we had our hearts set on Schoolside Estates not far from Dunmore in Throop, but have decided against it due to the battery plant issue. Some people think I am crazy because it happened so long ago, but it just doesn't sit well with me, especially seeing on a google map how close it is to Underwood Rd. the way the crow flies. Also the fact that so many people think it has been capped and it still is not, 15 years later. I love the look of Dunmore, but many of those beautiful houses have very small lots and I will need to put on a first floor addition for my parents. The house on Erie St., you say that is in a development, where abouts? I'm familiar with the Swenick Development, I do like that area but I was hoping to stay in the $250,000. range. I'm guessing that is not possible.
I'm wondering if I should be looking in Clarks Summit maybe. I have been looking on Realtor.com, I am wondering where you find your listings, with interior pics and sq. footage and taxes.
Boy, am I picky!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Many Thanks as always to the very knowledgeable ScrantonWilkesBarre guy!!
You're quite welcome! I enjoy answering questions from people on this forum about the area I've grown to love (I just wish there were more inquiries like yours and less of the bombardment of "How are the Poconos?") LOL! Nevertheless, I'll still answer those inquiries as well. As far as "very knowledgeable" is concerned, I'm trying my best for a 20-year-old. LOL!

Quote:
I am familiar with Dunmore, we had our hearts set on Schoolside Estates not far from Dunmore in Throop, but have decided against it due to the battery plant issue. Some people think I am crazy because it happened so long ago, but it just doesn't sit well with me, especially seeing on a google map how close it is to Underwood Rd. the way the crow flies. Also the fact that so many people think it has been capped and it still is not, 15 years later.
Your concerns are quite valid, and I wouldn't consider you crazy. I mean, there are people buying up homes left and right near me in Blueberry Hill Estates and Quail Hill, both of which are located on old coal dumps, and I often wonder if the ground beneath these communities is as "solid" as I'd like it to be. There's more to consider than just an attractive setting and reasonable price, and I applaud you for thinking "outside of the box."

Quote:
I love the look of Dunmore, but many of those beautiful houses have very small lots and I will need to put on a first floor addition for my parents.
Not everyone was meant to live in one of those older homes. I mean, they'd work for my future soul mate and myself as young "eccentric" types who'd love to be able to walk places, but when you're talking about a situation such as yours, then circumstances change. You might want to consider one of the top/bottom duplexes that I showed to WBAdvocate, as you could live above or below your parents to keep them under tab.

Quote:
The house on Erie St., you say that is in a development, where abouts?
Well, it's not in an "official" development; it's located at the end of a dead-end street in an area of a few newer homes in a hidden neighborhood near I-81 and Mount Margaret Estates. It's located near to the eastern ends of Ash Street and Mill Street, and is northwest of Elmhurst Boulevard. I'd post the mapquest link for you, but I can't figure out how to resize the image to fit the bandwith limitations on this forum, so you might just want to MapQuest
"312 Erie Street."

Quote:
I'm familiar with the Swenick Development, I do like that area but I was hoping to stay in the $250,000. range. I'm guessing that is not possible.
Well, homes in Swinick don't hit the market very often. I wouldn't say it's "impossible" to find a home in there for $250,000, but it's just something you'd have to wait around for and then pounce on.

Quote:
I'm wondering if I should be looking in Clarks Summit maybe.
Clarks Summit is also nice, but it's even steeper in price, overall, than Dunmore is. Clarks Summit is within the Abington Heights School District, and the schools' reputation alone helps to boost property values to being the highest in Lackawanna County outside of Glenmaura. Also consider the fact that it would lengthen your commute to the Moscow area considerably.

Quote:
I have been looking on Realtor.com, I am wondering where you find your listings, with interior pics and sq. footage and taxes.
I like http://www.northeastpamls.com , which is the web site for the Greater Scranton Board of Realtors. They seem to offer much more thorough information.

Quote:
Boy, am I picky!
I admire your discretion. A lot of people I consult on here just pick up and pack their bags from NYC without doing nearly enough research, and then they regret their decisions. A home will most likely be the costliest investment in your life; why rush?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 AM

29 posts, read 132,910 times
Thanks, so much, SWB...you are a wealth of information. I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to post your replies. I was inquiring about Dunmore, not for myself, but for some friends who might purchase a home there. Of course, I'm not leaving Wilkes Barre, as you guessed. Because of my busy schedule, I don't have time to get over to Dunmore and thought someone would answer my request for information here.
I also wonder what impact the closing of the Catholic schools will have on the area. I guess time will tell.
Thanks again!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania