U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:31 PM

14 posts, read 35,868 times
Can anyone tell me about the Pocono Mt. Lake estates or the Pocono Mt. Lake Forest?? I had recently looked at houses in both places. Are they good areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM

22 posts, read 51,399 times
Default Other options?

We found a great property which also had a failed perc test... we made an offer contingent on getting a septic permit (to secure the land) and then hired a soil scientist to run the test and design the system (and we ended up w/ a peat moss based system - which is fairly new technology, but more expensive than a traditional system).

In the end - it depends how much you want the land (and how unique the property really is)... but there are likely options.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,166,631 times
Move on to another property. Water is probably the most destructive force on earth.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,909 times
I just bought property in show low what does a perk test cost?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 PM

44 posts, read 77,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
A $50.00 bill should get it to perk !!!!! Poconosmama is right, sad to say !!! Thats
how the land around the Lake Winola, Falls area gets perked !!!
If only that were true!!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,672,667 times
Alternative systems won't always work on every property and they are much more expensive than a traditional system.

I really would strongly urge you to find another lot. What happens if you get it to pass now but then...come some wet December, your septic fails/backs up...??

Not giving legal advice here - but that's not a bad idea, to consult a real estate attorney...sometimes in the fever to "save a few bucks" and "spend as little as possible" people end up making mistakes that are very costly, and cost thousands more than it would have to pay a little extra up front to begin with...even if the extra money ended up letting you know that you couldn't use the property.

(Hope that made sense, haven't had my coffee yet. lol)

Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM

9,228 posts, read 7,487,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyna-or-no View Post
We found a great property which also had a failed perc test... we made an offer contingent on getting a septic permit (to secure the land) and then hired a soil scientist to run the test and design the system (and we ended up w/ a peat moss based system - which is fairly new technology, but more expensive than a traditional system).

In the end - it depends how much you want the land (and how unique the property really is)... but there are likely options.

we have a client who came to us to build a home, and have their own lot. When they bought it, they were told that tapping into the community sewer was no problem, until we went to get our building permits. It was at this same time that the community they bought their lot in had just put a moratorium on anything to do with the community sewer, whether that was tapping in, or extending the line. This very much upset the couple, but we told them we'd do everything we could for them, so we ordered a probe and perc test. The first probe failed, and so we also brought in a soil scientist to determine if an alternate (other than sand-mound) system could be used. It was determined through two soil scientists that their lot was approved for a drip irrigation septic design....so it does pay to hire one, just to see if there are any possibilities...that is if you already own or are really wanting a certain property. However, even hiring a soil scientist is no guarantee that your lot will qualify for an alternative system.

Systems such as the drip irrigation or peat moss systems are more costly than a traditional sand mound....but if you have the means, there may be an alternative...

Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM

80 posts, read 132,185 times
They do perc test in December.
I sat in my tree stand one hunting season and watched a guy haul buckets of water into the woods and dump them in a hole.
I got down and asked him what he was doing. Said perc testing because the property owner next door was thinking of developing.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:44 PM

417 posts, read 753,458 times
A perc can be done almost any time of year .. face it for what is being done ..
It must work any and all times of year ... !

I got a nice piece of land .. when I bought it it perced standard and now .. I am leaving the east coast altogether ..

Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM

3,062 posts, read 5,005,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
It was determined through two soil scientists that their lot was approved for a drip irrigation septic design

Systems such as the drip irrigation or peat moss systems are more costly than a traditional sand mound....but if you have the means, there may be an alternative...
With the drip, did they also get away with leaving the trees in place? It was my understanding that was an additional benefit, getting away from the ugly mound... but I've never seen one actually put in, so am wondering if it worked that way in practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania