Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Unfortunately he is long dead (I don't have any memory of him) and I lost my Dad 5 years ago too. My aunt who lived in Lee Park and Nuangola was the keeper of those things and she died last year. The uncle who was the co-owner though, was the father of my Dad's cousin who was a state senator there for a long time from the 60's to the 80's.
I would love to see pictures of the place too! I was only there as a baby and have no memories of it all.
I rooted around and ran across this tidbit but have no clue as to how to obtain a copy of the book mentioned (below). I'm almost certain that I stumbled across a couple of fairly crummy pics of the park somewhere on line. I'll post the site if I can find it again.....

link:
http://www.rcdb.com/pd1213.htm (broken link)

Amusement Park: Sans Souci Park (1905 to 1970)
Hanover Park (1893 to 1904)
Hanover Grove (1880 to 1892)

Address: Sans Souci Parkway
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania USA
Parks nearby: Existing · Defunct · All
Notes: There was a very limited printing of a self published book by Charles Ciesla called simply "The History of Sans Souci Park". Anyone have a copy of this book?
Location: Today, the Hanover Area Junior-Senior High School exists where the park was.

Past Roller Coasters (4): Name Type Design Opened Closed
Ariel Railway Wood Sit Down 1905 1927
Bear Cat Wood Sit Down 1928 1970
Kiddie Roller Coaster Wood Sit Down 1928 -
Wild Mouse Steel Sit Down 1958 1970

.....I personally recall several rides there...a terrific 'dark' ride (cars winding thru haunted house); classic Dodge'Ems bumper cars; a wonderful classic "Tumble Bug" (of which only 2 or 3 remain); classic Caterpillar with canopy covering the riders, then re-opening; Rollo Planes...that went upside down I think; Ferris Wheel, WildMouse, swimming pool, kiddie rides and a pavillion that hosted many a singer/group that went on to great fame such as Neil Diamond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,700 times
This should brighten your day mistyriverranch. I didn't find any photos but was shocked to find a guy who makes roller coaster models and has just released the Bear Cat! Here's the link---just use the drop down for "Select a Model from the Quick Jump Menu"; itis a veryfaithful reproduction of the Bear Cat right donn to that wicked 350 degree finish (Partly covered over as you'll see.......) This made my day!

http://www.rollercoastermodels.com/faq.html

Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
This should brighten your day mistyriverranch. I didn't find any photos but was shocked to find a guy who makes roller coaster models and has just released the Bear Cat! Here's the link---just use the drop down for "Select a Model from the Quick Jump Menu"; itis a veryfaithful reproduction of the Bear Cat right donn to that wicked 350 degree finish (Partly covered over as you'll see.......) This made my day!

http://www.rollercoastermodels.com/faq.html

Wow....very cool!
I think it's a little ironic that they ended up building a school on the site. From an amusement park to a school. How depressing.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
^^^^ A 'fly-by-night' operation ?????

rocky glenn was owned by a man named jack sterling at one point. when he died his son-in-law took over and didn't care what happened there. it was a great place to grow-up at and since the fires that took place there wasn't much hope of ever having it great again. at one time there was talk of building high rises there but the airport shot that down. if the sterling family still own it they should sell to another amusment park. mr. sterlings son-in-law use to own roth novilty. if its still in operation it was wilkes-barre off of river rd.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 AM

188 posts, read 156,374 times
Do we have any former Dodgem Kings out there? Any pictures of the Dodgem House at Nay Aug?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,263 times
Like so many others I too have fond memories of the Park and its wonders. I especially remember they had the best French Fries I ever had. Unfortunately She will never be brought back and we can only contribute that to the greed of the powers to be through out the area who wanted nothing more than money from the park. They did not care one bit of the destruction that they caused. As long as it made their life easier is all that mattered. To Ben Sterling, his wife, Gibby and Gretchen, thank you for a wonderful wonderful period in my life. I will never forget.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,576 times
i live in moosic and have fond memories of the park as a child. i still frequent the park only now it is to go hiking riding bikes and take my own kids fishing there. it is a beautiful place being over run by peoples garbage. i have taken to taking photos to document what it is becoming. nature is taking over and making it beautiful again. i am a photographer and would love to share pictures with those interested. email me @ [EMAIL="mchristianmoosic@aol.com"]mchristianmoosic@aol.com[/EMAIL] for a link to my my space

Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopbottomhal View Post
Skee ball and the roller coaster......2 reasons why I always enjoyed Ghost Town In The Glen!
I remember the "shoot-outs" with the cowboys down near the lakefront and the rollercoaster.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:27 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-exeter View Post
rocky glenn was owned by a man named jack sterling at one point. when he died his son-in-law took over and didn't care what happened there. it was a great place to grow-up at and since the fires that took place there wasn't much hope of ever having it great again. at one time there was talk of building high rises there but the airport shot that down. if the sterling family still own it they should sell to another amusment park. mr. sterlings son-in-law use to own roth novilty. if its still in operation it was wilkes-barre off of river rd.
I think the Sterling family were the original owners.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 PM

14 posts, read 84,098 times
Just ran by the park this evening to find that it is still vacant and no housing has been put up there. I too wish I knew who owned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania