U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-25-2007, 12:31 PM

25,403 posts, read 42,138,435 times
Thumbs up New Photo Tour---Nay Aug Park, Scranton

Hello everyone! Today, after the roads were plowed from this morning's fresh snowfall (Scranton just received its first inch!) , I decided to head on up to Nay Aug Park in Scranton to take some photos of a winter wonderland oasis nestled within the city's Hill Section. I hope you enjoy the tour as much as I enjoyed being out in this beautiful wintry weather! (You'd all better give me some feedback, as I slipped on the ice and fell flat on my rear-end four times trying to get down the hillside to the gorge!)

The Everhart Museum sits prominently at the entrance to Nay Aug Park at the end of Mulberry Street in the city's "Upper Hill" neighborhood.

Some residential scenes from along Arthur Avenue, across the street from Nay Aug Park.

A replica of a working mine shaft in Scranton.

The "Pioneer" trolley.

Some of the park's beautiful scenery. In the Spring, the gardens and landscaping is even more breathtaking.

Another upcoming amenity to the park.

The amusement park that is quite popular in the warmer months.

The large public pool and water slides.

The trailhead of the Davis Trail, which leads visitors down to the breathtaking Nay Aug Gorge.

Footprints (and pawprints), show that this park is friendly to residents and their pampered pooches alike!

An overlook down to an old railroad tunnel.

The overlook was built right around two large trees, including this one.

This is the infamous freakin' bench that I tripped over while trying to back up for a better shot! STUPID BENCH!

The breathtaking beauty and serenity of the Nay Aug Gorge and Roaring Brook Waterfall, which provided me with the perfect setting for a romantic embrace with my ex....sigh!

The Hanlon Pavillion.

The Genesis Wildlife Center.

Well, I hope you'll be inclined now to check out the beauty of Nay Aug Park the next time you're here in the Electric City!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM

2,474 posts, read 3,040,216 times
Thank you Paul for dredging up memories of hiking through the cold woods!! I've done my share of hiking even in blizzards (when I was young & stupid)

Seeing these pix makes me homesick for the mountains!! Down here in Fla the only mountains we have are the garbage dumps & the on/off ramps for 95!!! And ROCKS!!! We have no rocks here (just Fla cap rock which is just fossilized mud) and everytime my friends would ask what I wanted them to bring me from up north I made them bring a rock!!!

I'm working with a lady in Nanticoke on a future home so one of these days you'll see my ugly puss in Lowe's.

Thanks for the memories!!!
Jungle George

Unread 01-25-2007, 01:36 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,201,690 times
great pictures, I have to check out nay aug park, I am in clarks summit, appox how far is it? and thanks once again for all your helpfull info, I have the house since oct 10th and love the area and the people are great! just have to wait until oct 07 to retire to move for good.

Unread 01-25-2007, 03:54 PM

399 posts, read 1,035,667 times
Beautiful pictures! Northeast PA does have some beautiful parks. Have you ever been to seven tubs? We used to hike there all the time with our dog.

Unread 01-25-2007, 05:03 PM

2,832 posts, read 6,749,737 times
I'm almost embarrassed I have never been to NayAug Park, now I know I should get there.

Unread 01-29-2007, 08:04 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 6,333,371 times
NayAug Park is beautiful, and spread out (lots of ground to cover for walking, hiking and such.
Haven't been up there in Years
The last time I've been there, we were a whole bunch of people during the summer, having a get together and having a good time. It was so great.
Didn't an accident happened there? Something with kids drinking, and one fell off a cliff? Or was that someplace else....Can't really remember.....
Do you?
Sure your memory is a bit better then mine...lol.
Can't wait to see snow again (especially during the holidays season), the mountains, and pine trees, x-mas trees (ornaments just look plain stupid hanging off palm trees....lol.)
Can't wait to move back there.......

Unread 01-29-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Didn't an accident happened there? Something with kids drinking, and one fell off a cliff? Or was that someplace else....Can't really remember.....
Do you?
Well, accidents have been commonplace at Nay Aug Park in the past, especially during the summer, when teenagers used to dive into the Nay Aug Gorge for a refreshing alternative to the nearby public pool. Since then, the Scranton PD has really been cracking down on illegal trespassing in the area, and there were signs posted on several nearby trees warning against unlawful trespass into the gorge. While the gorge is very deep, I couldn't even fathom jumping off the cliffs down into it, especially since a rock could be jutting up just below the water's surface! Then again, I'm sorry to say, there isn't exactly shortage of stupid people in the area! LOL!

Unread 01-30-2007, 11:04 PM

14 posts, read 46,357 times
Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe how beautiful that is! Thank you so much for taking those pictures! I'm really in shock of the beauty of the land, the snow, the water. Wow. I'm speechless.

Unread 01-31-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
great pictures, I have to check out nay aug park, I am in clarks summit, appox how far is it? and thanks once again for all your helpfull info, I have the house since oct 10th and love the area and the people are great! just have to wait until oct 07 to retire to move for good.

The park is roughly 15 minutes from Clarks Summit. It's located at the very top of Mulberry Street in the "Upper Hill" of Scranton, right next to Community Medical Center. The easiest route for you to take would be to follow Routes 6/11 South to the North Scranton Expressway to the end. Once in the city, follow Mulberry Street straight across the city and to the end of the Hill Section to Nay Aug Park. You can't miss it.

Unread 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 6,333,371 times
Hi there SWB
Listen, since I am not up there at the moment, you have to be my eyes and ears....lol.
Can you please tell, me whatever happened to Keyser Ave?
Are they done with the construction there? (To Rt. 6 up to the viemont mall)
And, how does it look?
How is traffic now up there ? (Was told, it has gotten worse on 81 and especially on rt.6 as well)
Sorry, I have to bug you with those questions...lol. My friend (they live in Old Forge and Taylor) tell me, it's gotten so worse, but, I know they might be "fibbing" a bit???? lol
Thanks a mil!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania