Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times

Advertisements

Boscov's files for bankruptcy....if Boscov's goes under and isn't bought by another company, there will be two gaping holes in both downtown Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. The Mall at Steamtown can then officially change its name to "The Flea Market at Steamtown." (also mentioned in this article as filing for bankruptcy is Steve and Barry's...another Mall at Steamtown anchor):

U.S. retailer Boscov's files bankruptcy, may be sold | Markets | Bonds News | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I always liked the retro feel of the downtown Wilkes-Barre store. Who knew that Boscov's ever sold pets? I noticed a pet section in the basement last time I was there (in 2004)!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
OH gosh, I wonder if the one in Easton will stay open. I love its childrens department and a few other departments.....
I do remember seeing pets in the Wilkes-Barre store. I was surprised also.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,546 times
Boscov's is just the beginning of the wave of chapter 7's that re going to be filed. Steak and ale/Bennigan filed this week.

People scream about borrowing monies and growing debt in local gov't but there is a rhyme and reason perhaps. Borrow all you can, as gov't monies become tighter and tighter fight for debt forgivness that will become more and more available as this crisis continues. Cities will be the first to be forgiven......we saw what happend int he 80's when Reagan told the cities to fend for themselves. A dem wont let that happen.
They would forgive debt first or at least portions of it, and will do it to cities following the format of "progressive enhancments" without question.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
If the Boscov's in Downtown Wilkes-Barre closes, then I will be very unhappy. The multi-story store that has graced the Diamond City near Public Square for over 20 years may be in dire need of renovations, but overall I enjoy(ed?) shopping there. Unfortunately if that store bites the dust, then Wilkes-Barre will have a big empty building there for quite some time, as I can't think of any developer right now who would be interested in putting a department store there to replace it. Then again, Downtown Williamsport just landed a new Kohl's store, so I suppose anything is possible.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
People scream about borrowing monies and growing debt in local gov't but there is a rhyme and reason perhaps. Borrow all you can, as gov't monies become tighter and tighter fight for debt forgivness that will become more and more available as this crisis continues. Cities will be the first to be forgiven......we saw what happend int he 80's when Reagan told the cities to fend for themselves. A dem wont let that happen.
They would forgive debt first or at least portions of it, and will do it to cities following the format of "progressive enhancments" without question.

"Progressive Enhancements" is that whats its called now a days? I thought it was really the squandering of public monies.

Forgive the debt, so what your saying is that because Doherty is spending on your "Progressive Enhancements" and has accumulated close to $500,000,000 in long term debt in 7 YEARS that its ok because the federal gov't MIGHT come in and forgive the debt?

Great planning, that way when the gov't says no way your on your own, Doherty and his crony pals will be rich and gone while the residents and the next mayor will be stuck with the tab.

You do realize that Scrantons debt service payments total up to $16,000,000 a year out of our annual budget to just cover our ass with the debt. I doubt that a debt of that magnitude in such a short time with nothing to show for it will be forgiven. I certainly wouldn't bank on it and continue to spend, but hey thats not what cronies do is it?

Spend more now because they will forgive it later, thats great fiscal planning and a sound fiduciary responsiblity to the taxpayers.

The steamtown mall will rival the old Sugerman's as the second most popular indoor flea market in the valley.

A dem wouldn't do that??????????????? Our country is so far in national debt with billions being borrowed from overseas constantly and you think that they will be able to afford to bail out the Doherty's across the country and why because a Dem would do it????

Why is it that "dems" feel that its ok for the fed gov't to bail out local gov'ts or companies? Thats the problem with this country NO ONE IS HELD TO A LEVEL OF RESPONSIBLITY FOR THEIR OWN FINANCES AND DEBTS.

I do not feel that the gov't should ever bail out Scranton, I feel that we are responsible for own debt and as it increases so will our taxes and it will get to a point that finally the sheep in this city will see the crony's and Doherty for what they really are...Parasites on the taxpayers and the system, parasites on the weak minds of the sheep that have no other way to get their info on candiadtes other then what is printed in the Lynetts rag(George, Matt H. GFY).

Its an election year and they are going to spend and spend this year and for what???? To protect the 100's of jobs that have been handed out over the last 7 years and to protect the millions that are being pulled from the taxpayers every year.

You would hope that they would spend monies to help the taxpayers and improve the QUALITY OF LIFE in the city, but that is not profitable is it.

Last edited by weluvpa; 08-04-2008 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Dan's back and fired up better than ever! (Grabs popcorn, awaiting rebuttal from to570717).

Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Dan's back and fired up better than ever! (Grabs popcorn, awaiting rebuttal from to570717).
And he speaks the truth!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 PM

32 posts, read 116,738 times
It was just reported in the Allentown Morning call (mcall.com) that only 5 pennsylvania stores are closing. Wilkes-Barre and Scranton are not on the list. On a side note, I remember in the 90's when the Steamtown store opened, there was an article in the paper stating that the Scranton store grossed more sales than any other store in the chain. I don't know if that's still true or not.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
I truly hope it stays open, we need as much filled buildings as possible to deter crime and riff raffs hanging around. I have been in the store and liked it but havent gone much. Now I am thinking to try to make more visits to entice them to keep the Wilkes store open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania