U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:42 AM

253 posts, read 635,721 times
Beltzville, eh? Until I started visiting this forum, I hadn't heard of Beltzville but I'll check it out - thanks! Is that a town or an area? Any communities by there to speak of?

This is the first year we haven't been to Wildwood, although each of the kids have gone on their own with friends. However, did go to Outter Banks, NC for the past 2 years so that served the same purpose. At one point this year our daughter said she wanted to get married on the beach at Cape May, but that idea only flew for about a week or so, then she came to her senses. Just too far to drive for a wedding, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 AM

18,970 posts, read 3,732,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Beltzville, eh? Until I started visiting this forum, I hadn't heard of Beltzville but I'll check it out - thanks! Is that a town or an area? Any communities by there to speak of?

This is the first year we haven't been to Wildwood, although each of the kids have gone on their own with friends. However, did go to Outter Banks, NC for the past 2 years so that served the same purpose. At one point this year our daughter said she wanted to get married on the beach at Cape May, but that idea only flew for about a week or so, then she came to her senses. Just too far to drive for a wedding, etc.
I like your daughter's idea about getting married on the beach. Is there another area of the Shore closer to you where she can go through with her idea or was she adament about Cape May?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 AM

2,094 posts, read 4,345,146 times
Quote:
My only condition is that we live close to a lake as I need to be by water (can you say Pisces?).
I'm reading this and what Summering wrote and I'm laughing because I'm thinking that maybe you have a good theory here, I'm a Cancer...maybe we really DO need to be near water lol!!!!

Then again, NEPA not only has lakes, but also a quick fix to the Delaware Water Gap, which has kind of been built into my genetic make-up thanks to my dad (another Cancer) knowing every inch of the place....back to the water theory lol!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM

253 posts, read 635,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I like your daughter's idea about getting married on the beach. Is there another area of the Shore closer to you where she can go through with her idea or was she adament about Cape May?
She was pretty adamant about Cape May, but when we figured out how many people probably wouldn't travel, she changed her mind and signed with a cateing hall up north here - Sept 2009.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 AM

26 posts, read 64,169 times
I lived in Tunkhannock for 2 months. It didn't work out due to a living arrangement, not the town itself. While out one night a senior citizen called me the N word, well, I am so white I glow in the dark. The senior said "we" are all the same. I took that with a grain of salt minus the tequila. I also had a lengthy conversation with a gentleman that lived in that area for 30 years, he was still an outsider. My Mom has resided in Wellsboro for 30 odd years. She is still a flatlander but I think they got use to her :-). I feel the key here is respect for each other but not always an easy pill to swallow.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:50 PM

78 posts, read 204,856 times
Pixieshmoo: I'm a Jersey girl too and my husband and I are also thinking of moving to Pa. We're also considering the Milford area. We have been going to Milford every year after Christmas, and we always love it there. I would also love to hear from some others who live in that area as to how they like living there.

We actually live "down the shore." We've been here full-time now for about 8 years. This was a second weekend home originally for us for about 5 years. At first we spent a lot of time boating and fishing and crabbing and going to the beach. Had a lot of company. But we don't really do any of that anymore. We always seem to be busy with other things, now that this is our permanent home.

I have mixed feelings about leaving this area and moving to the country or the mountains. I think I would like to be somewhere more private and more quiet, with more space around us. Right now we're on the water with a lot of boat traffic, including noisy jet skis.

I think we'll start looking around Pa. in the next couple of weeks. My husband would love to move to Florida.......but I'm not willing to leave my kids and grandkids in NJ.

I sometimes wish life was easier like it was years ago when the whole family lived in the same neighborhood, and nobody considered moving far away!! Now there's so many choices.

Marge

Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 PM

13,306 posts, read 12,977,110 times
Quote:

There is a nice development just in the back of Beltsville Lake. I saw some homes for sale there. Nice big properties, and one is a contemporary home. Since I go in a back way........you ( from entrance) would go past the boat docking area and the homes are up on the left. I'd swear from the one home you could see the lake in its views. Its an area.........and its not all that far from the shops and stores of Lehigh. Other then that Jim Thorpe is close also, Lehighton.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:18 PM

23 posts, read 43,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I'm a transplant from Central NJ to Scranton. I was single when I moved here, got married. raised 2 kids, divorced, etc. It's a nice area to raise a family but, after 37 years, I'm still considered an outsider.
It's like someone in NC once told me, "Just because the cat had her kittens in the oven doesn't make 'em biscuits."

Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 PM

23 posts, read 43,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
While I'm usually very successful at digging info out of everyone on here, I seem to be doing a bad job in the Pennsylvania department! So let's try it this way. Who here is a transplant from New Jersey to NEPA?! I am willing to hear from anyone in the area, but mainly Milford area. When did you "transplant", where to, why, did you bring kids with you, how are they handling the transfer, how do you like it, is it expensive, are the people nice, how about the schools and children in the school system, etc? I want to hear your "dreams come true" and/or "horror stories"!!!!!!!
Add us to the list. We'll be moving to Bushkill from Central NJ at the end of Sept. We'll be living right off of Milford Road, is that close enough? We don't have any little ones (youngest is 19), but our daughter and the grandkids live in Lords Valley.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM

2,094 posts, read 4,345,146 times
So basically not too many people from Jersey regret their move to PA, is what I'm gathering?????? What about the schools though? What about crime (all categories), especially with the younger kids (teens), etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania