U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,388,553 times

Advertisements

Some might remember my concerns of living in Throop due to the battery plant clsoing in Throop 15 years ago. I was just wondering if there is anyone who lives in Throop who can give me some input on whether they think there is a high cancer rate in Throop and surrounding areas due to this disaster. My hubby works with someone who worked in the Battery plant and now has lung cancer, he is in his 50's. Just heard of a young girl who passed, age 36 who lived in or near Throop. Has anyone had a lead test done?
I really think this would be a great location to live, but just don't think getting cancer, or my kids getting cancer, would be worth it. Am I being too cautious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:18 AM

7 posts, read 10,714 times
I know ppl in Throop and they love it. I also know ppl in SchoolSide Estates who love it. I see all the negative posts, but they are not representative of the whole population. I am also searching for info. Thinking of Throop bec of it's easy access to everything I need-- I81, malls, parks, schools, etc. Hoping to hear from more ppl who actually live there!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,725,386 times
Just stay away from the general area of the old Marjol plant and you should be fine in Throop.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM

82 posts, read 81,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Just stay away from the general area of the old Marjol plant and you should be fine in Throop.
about 17 years ago the state came in to peoples homes in throop to check for lead contamination.to there surprise they found people home with lead film on paint and curtains I am sure you can check with the state to see what the findings were,if you can trust the state for a full answer.I believe they also had to tear houses down

Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,399,764 times
I work in Throop and I work with a person who used to work at that battery plant. I'll ask him if he can give more info on the subject.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 10,714 times
Thanks!! We are actually looking at Schoolside bec Tiffany seems too close to Marjol. PPl I know have told me the house I am looking at is fine and it was the upper block of School Side Dr affected by the water in yards. House is new and built by what seems to be a well known reputable builder. It is close to Olyphant, which we like too. Thanks for all your help. And I do not trust the state and politicians. Politics runs high around here! Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania