U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM

259 posts, read 686,813 times

Advertisements

Pittston's Riverfront park overgrown and dirty. Some of the beautiful period lamp posts are damaged.

To bad Pittston didn't have community groups and organizations lined up to take care of the park.
I am sure Pittston's DPW is over tasked with other priorities.

They should have installed security cameras like Wilkes-Barre is doing with their riverfront project.

It's just too bad, I am all for community projects (parks and recreation) but they have to be taken care of. What a waste of a good project.

Lets hope their 'Streetscape' project turns out better than the park.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 05:42 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,272,985 times
That project was a waste from its inception, the money could have been well spent elsewhere. Wait until we get one big ice flow with high water and see what it looks like. I can remember as a kid sitting on the bridge watching chunks of ice smashing into the piers the size of buses. I haven't seen an ice flow like those since I was a kid in the 70's. It's no exaggeration either, the river has jammed solid with ice in the past.

Check out the picture about 4 pages down: http://www.colcohist-gensoc.org/Essa...r%20Floods.pdf

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-23-2008 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 07:08 PM

1,974 posts, read 4,774,176 times
This is exactly what I afraid will happen with Wilkes-Barre's new Riverfront. W-B has a tendency to built these parks and then they do not maintain them (i.e. Coal st Park). It makes no sence to spend millions on a beautiful project like that, just to let it go to hell within a few years. It really is a shame because even if they don't have the fonds to hire someone to keep it in nice condition (which I think is B.S.! How much do we pay in taxes?) I'm sure thier are a few people that would happily volenteer thier time to help out. Retirees, college students, hell why not have some prisoners from the Luzerne County Hilton come down and tidy it up? They are probably dying to get out of thier cells for the day, and it wouldn't cost a dime! I don't understand why we don't use prison help for more projects like this It seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 PM

31,350 posts, read 69,962,856 times
Bear in mind though that Pittston is run by some very inept officials whereas there are some folks at the helm in Wilkes-Barre who appear to have some semblance of intelligence. I highly doubt that the overgrown Riverfront Park in Pittston is a foreshadowing of what will happen to the new River Commons in Wilkes-Barre. I've lived on the fringe of Pittston my entire life, and I think of it as no better than your common trash dump. I'm too young to remember the "good 'ole days" when Pittston supposedly had JCPenney, Woolworth's, theaters, nightlife, etc., and I'm now too old to sit around waiting for the yuppies from NYC/NJ to flood in and gentrify it into a mini-SoHo of sorts, hence why I'm moving elsewhere.

I seriously wonder sometimes if the elected officials in Tomato Town rate their performance upon how many times they appear in the weekly Pittston Sunday Dispatch. When your city goes from having a population of 21,000 to having a population of just 7,000 with massive urban sprawl issues in all directions surrounding it (save for the Upper West Side of course), then you know you have a problem. When your community's own Chamber of Commerce, based in the downtown, touts the benefits of the suburbs to low-wage employers whilst neglecting downtown redevelopment initiatives, then you know it's time to put the nail into the coffin.

Mr. Siniawa, where art thou with your empty promise of the Musto Condo Towers from eons ago?

Old 08-24-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
This is exactly what I afraid will happen with Wilkes-Barre's new Riverfront. W-B has a tendency to built these parks and then they do not maintain them .
I don't think the ide of "a park" is such a bad idea but what they build has to fit the location. The river is very under utilized but if if you want utilize it you need to build something that first and foremost is going to stand the test of time and secondly that is practical for the area.

If they had skipped the landscaping, nice brick walls and other crap that is going to be destroyed shortly and instead had erected a nice boat launch and a small pier they may have people using it right now and it would most likely have cost much less. Less maintenace too, only thin down there that should have been planted was trees and grass. Construction material should have been all concrete, large boulders etc. A place like that would handicapped accessible and there is very few places like that nearby. Be very convenient for people with kids etc. AND they have reason to go there.

As far as the W-B project I don't know the scope of it but they do have one advantage which is the college kids who might utilize soemthing like that. If they put that dam in the W-B project would have been an enormous success.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think the ide of "a park" is such a bad idea but what they build has to fit the location. The river is very under utilized but if if you want utilize it you need to build something that first and foremost is going to stand the test of time and secondly that is practical for the area.

If they had skipped the landscaping, nice brick walls and other crap that is going to be destroyed shortly and instead had erected a nice boat launch and a small pier they may have people using it right now and it would most likely have cost much less. Less maintenace too, only thin down there that should have been planted was trees and grass. Construction material should have been all concrete, large boulders etc. A place like that would handicapped accessible and there is very few places like that nearby. Be very convenient for people with kids etc. AND they have reason to go there.

As far as the W-B project I don't know the scope of it but they do have one advantage which is the college kids who might utilize soemthing like that. If they put that dam in the W-B project would have been an enormous success.
The engineers that designed the Wilkes-Barre Riverfront Project took into account the flooding problems, everything there will be concrete, and flood resistent ect. The dam would have been an excellent addition if they fixed the sewage problem first. You can't dam up a river when there is raw sewage flowing into it, that would cause a gigantic backed up toilet. Maybe 20 years down the road if they get the funding to take care of the sewage overflows, then they'll take another look at a recreational dam, but there are many things that can happen without the dam: Regional fishing tournaments, regatta racing championships, I'd like to see a B-B-Q competition held at the river, where B-B-Q cooks from around the country compete for first place for thier ribs, pork and chicken recipes. You can go on and on, the list of things that can be done is endless, but our incompetent buffoon leaders of this county have got to get off thier arses and form a committee to plan and market these sort of events (I think Leadership W-B should be asked to do this). If they just build it and expect people to flood it everyday for no particular reason, I think it will end up like the one in Pittston. Like I said earlier, I think they should get some volenteer's or retirees to act as security guards down there, and should use prisoners for upkeep and mantinace ( they don't have much to do anyway). They'd probably love to get out of their cells for the day, and it would'nt cost the tax payers anything... But this is Luzerne County, and the landscaping and upkeep job will probably go to one of Skrepnak's "friends" that happens to own a landscaping company, and we'll find out two years from now that we were paying some outrageous amount of money, and they weren't even doing the work or something like that.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:51 AM

I'm no expert but the water quality in the old "susky" is not that bad. I know it has vastly improved since even when I was kid. I grew up next to it, it was and is my backyard. I haven't grown a third eye yet.

I wouldn't make a destination to do it but I'd swim in it now. The raw sewage is "a" problem but that's mostly during really heavy rains. The biggest issue plaguing the Susquehanna now is all the farming around it. Granted if you damned the river that is going to contain the sewage and other contaminants to some degree but at the very least it would be suitable for boating and fishing.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:31 AM

537 posts, read 1,229,792 times
Default Dam on the Susquehanna

In Sunbury we have the fabridam creating Lake Augusta. Both branches of the Susquehanna meet there, creating one very wide river. This is the one perfect location for a dam and having major water recreation on this river. A marina is on Packers Island, between Sunbury and Northumberland. This area is quite active in the summer months. Local university students are seen skulling on this "man-made lake."

Pennsylvania State Parks - Shikellamy - PA DCNR

The link above shows a view from Shikellamy Lookout, along with pics of the island and the fabridam.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
In Sunbury we have the fabridam creating Lake Augusta. Both branches of the Susquehanna meet there, creating one very wide river. This is the one perfect location for a dam and having major water recreation on this river. A marina is on Packers Island, between Sunbury and Northumberland. This area is quite active in the summer months. Local university students are seen skulling on this "man-made lake."

Pennsylvania State Parks - Shikellamy - PA DCNR

The link above shows a view from Shikellamy Lookout, along with pics of the island and the fabridam.
I've been through there, and yah, it's so big it looks like a lake. In W-B however, the river is much narrower, and even if it was dammed it still wouldn't be a fraction of the size of Lake Augusta, and like I said, with the sewage issues it's a hard sell.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm no expert but the water quality in the old "susky" is not that bad. I know it has vastly improved since even when I was kid. I grew up next to it, it was and is my backyard. I haven't grown a third eye yet.

I wouldn't make a destination to do it but I'd swim in it now. The raw sewage is "a" problem but that's mostly during really heavy rains. The biggest issue plaguing the Susquehanna now is all the farming around it. Granted if you damned the river that is going to contain the sewage and other contaminants to some degree but at the very least it would be suitable for boating and fishing.
The water quality isn't bad now, because it's a flowing river, and it cleanses itself as it flows, but if you dam it, it'll be a different story... some would say Wilkes-Barre already smells, I don't think a giant cesspool in downtown W-B will help the situation much. Maybe if we get a president the cares about the enviroment, instead of George Bush (my personal pick for the worst president in America's history) maybe we can finally get some federal funding to correct the sewage and acid mine drainage issues. Then the idea of a dam won't "smell" so bad afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania