U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 AM

1,973 posts, read 4,789,958 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder, that Wilkes-Barre's Farmers Market is going on today on Public Square in downtown Wilkes-Barre. Great food, music and entertainment, and farm fresh fruits and veggies. What else can a person ask for? I'll be heading down there shortly, I hope to see you there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:55 AM

2,317 posts, read 4,750,534 times
It is nice...went there last thursday...

Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM

42 posts, read 113,287 times
Just got back from there. It really is special and vibrant! Great home-made baked goods, tons of fresh top quality produce (and reasonable!), and a group was playing some really good music.

Everyone seemed happy and in a good mood. Lots of fun.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 4,789,958 times
I wish Wilkes-Barre would have more downtown events like the farmers market. The city really comes alive every Thursday when the market comes to town. We need alot more of these sort of events.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 PM

31,434 posts, read 70,310,169 times
I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day in Downtown Wilkes-Barre today. Our school had an unusual mid-day break today in order to permit the undertaking of our annual convocation mass on the campus of King's College. While I usually attend this, a good friend of mine is leaving on Saturday for China and won't be back until the end of the year, so I decided now was as good of a time as any to get together and enjoy an hour-and-a-half together. We headed down to the square around 11 AM. One friend and I decided to give Niko's Pizza a try. I had the most delicious buffalo chicken wing stuffed pizza I've ever had in my entire life. The crust was soft yet flavorful, and the chicken wing sauce was runny yet tasty. My one friend also decided to give Niko's a shot, deciding upon a healthier option instead---a stuffed pizza with tomatoes, feta cheese, and some other delicacies. She enjoyed her meal as well. Another friend of mine dined on her favorite of chicken fingers and French fries. I inhaled my pizza and quickly went to the Hillside Farms stand to buy a double scoop of cookies and cream ice cream. It was absolutely fantastic! Seeing me enjoying my dessert tempted my other two friends to also get some treats of their own.

We sat on the concrete steps near to the band shell, where a band was still warming up when we were eating around 11:15 AM. All around us were scenes that are truly making me consider raising my family in Wilkes-Barre instead of Scranton in the future. Three young children were playing and dancing around nearby as their fathers watched. Two older women walked past us, and one smiled and said "Better watch you don't drip that goody onto your things" (in reference to my fleeting attempts to slurp down my ice cream before it melted into oblivion). My friends and I all saw passers-by that recognized and gave each other salutations. A man across the courtyard from us sneezed, and my "God bless you" was met with several others, all from complete strangers. I was also impressed by the immense diversity today. I saw African-Americans, a Muslim couple, physically- and mentally-challenged individuals, Asian-Americans, and several apparent gay/lesbian couples (along with one cute guy who I thought was checking me out as I passed by, but maybe I'm just vain).

Today was a magnificent day for sure. Anyone who has never been to the farmers' market truly has to make an effort to visit it at least once before the end of the season.

P.S. I agree with the common sentiments that MORE needs to be done downtown. The farmers' market in Wilkes-Barre blows the one in the far out-of-the-way corner of Scranton out of the water, and I'm also a fan of the Fine Arts Fiesta and the Holiday parades. However, that's about it. There should be something going on weekly on Public Square. I'm sure downtown business owners would welcome the additional foot traffic spawned by such festivities. Mayor Leighton is doing a job that is ten times better than Mayor McGroarty, in my opinion, but while he's doing great at attracting new private investment to the city and curtailing the city's former massive violent crime issue, he hasn't done enough to pump some soul into the city. Scranton is becoming like a mini-SoHo with its annual Jewish Film Festival, Fiesta en Scranton, La Festa Italiana, Jazz Festival, blues cafe, espresso bars, television show conventions, etc., yet Wilkes-Barre hosts very, very few annual events. Why? The population of Greater Wilkes-Barre is much larger than that of Greater Scranton (when the suburbs are taken into consideration), so there's obviously enough of a "base" in the Diamond City's environs to support more fun family-oriented events. Where are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania