Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM

210 posts, read 400,749 times

Advertisements

We are going to get a coal stove (actually found a house with elec heat and a coal stove in basement) for next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 8,159 times
Modern Gas just charged me $2.98 a gallon...I'm going to buy my own tanks.

Go to Lancasterfarming.com newspaper ads. lots of LP tanks for sale. The dealers around here don't want to sell to us so they control the cost

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

513 posts, read 1,074,697 times
Wyattscranton - be careful, look before you leap. You'll still have to buy the LP from someone, and many company's charge more from customers who don't rent the tank from them.
At my vacation place in DE, I didn't use enough, so I had to pay a yearly minimum for them to visit and "inspect" their tank. So I told them to take their tank away when it got low, and I put in my own. That company wanted about 30% higher per gallon to fill my tank than they charged me when i was renting their tank. There are a million rackets going on, make sure you find a supplier that will sell at a competitive rate to someone who owns their own tank, before you take the plunge.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM

273 posts, read 953,986 times
I have found that owning a large tank (500-1000 gals or more depending on the house) and buying at the right time in the spot market is a good approach. Ideally you buy/fill in the 'off season' and refill/top off in winter. This is why a really large tank helps. It does require an up front investment.

Not all companies charge more to fill a customer owned tank. In my (limited) experience companies charged much more per gal to cover costs of a tank they provide and maintain. It makes sense. Also, generally companies won't fill tanks that are owned by other companies (also figures).

Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 8,159 times
DE_NePA- There are plenty of dealers around. I think the financial incentive of the 500 gal tank and 1-120 gal tank at my house-barn plus 2 -120 gal tanks at my rental property will appeal to their greed enough to warrant a fair price.

If they try to gouge too much, I'll have no problem reporting them to the attorney-generals office and let them explain the reason for discriminating against me.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
Man again snow, but I finally got with a new company for my propane and new tank as well. GreenWorks did the trick for us finally and at 1.99 a gallon I can't go wrong. I heat and have propane appliances, so you can see the savings will be substantial. Hey tell them Karl sent you, I am now a happy customer who has been tired of paying through the nose for no reason other than I did not know GreenWorks existed.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 AM

513 posts, read 1,074,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyattscranton View Post
DE_NePA- There are plenty of dealers around. I think the financial incentive of the 500 gal tank and 1-120 gal tank at my house-barn plus 2 -120 gal tanks at my rental property will appeal to their greed enough to warrant a fair price.

If they try to gouge too much, I'll have no problem reporting them to the attorney-generals office and let them explain the reason for discriminating against me.
I think you are correct. My experience was with a single 100 gallon tank, and buying 30 gallons a year (it was used for the cookstove only). You're talking about much larger purchasing scale than that.

At my poconos rental, I use Berwick Gas Sales. There I have a gas log, and two emergency wall heaters, so I'm considered a space heat customer. Last time I bought was last march, 55 gallons @ $2.15, and they have no minimum, or tank rental charge, you just pay for the gas you use.

I will be running the numbers to see if it makes more sense to urge my weekend renters to use the propane instead of the electric heat, with the recent 30% rise in electric costs. I also just removed an electric water heater, and installed a propane powered tankless water heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania