Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times

Advertisements

Did you see pictures in previous post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankarma View Post
I'm starting to lean toward the coal. It would be a waste to have that out there and not use it. It sounds like it is cheaper to use coal too. Hmmmmmmmm.
If by that you mean you have coal in the bin you'll need to have the right stove for the size you have.

It's certainly cheaper around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 PM

1,929 posts, read 3,115,421 times
Coal is definitely cheaper than pellets...it's a matter of preference on the owner's part...with pellets you don't have to worry about getting dirty as you might with coal...you might want to talk with Coalman more about the advantages/disadvantages between the two...

Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM

70 posts, read 122,643 times
No, there is no coal in the bin but, it is there already.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankarma View Post
How do you clean the coal stove? Every week, day month?
Varies by manufacturer and everyone has their little rituals but generally just once at the end of the season. There's really not a whole lot to clean, when you burn it fly ash will accumulate on any horizontal surface. you have to take the flue pipe apart and clean to clean it out. You'll have to clean out the chimney clean out. Mayby run the vacuum around inside it and then be sure to store it with all the doors open preferably somewhere not humid. Some use a baking soda wash to neutralize anything on the metal. Coal ash, water and metal = insta rust.

They are built quite well, average life span for a smaller stoker might be 2 decades or longer. Larger boilers usually outlast the owner. There's one guy on my forum using one from 1948. Usually when they get that old they need some refurbishment but nothing major. Keeping them constantly lit will keep them going indefinitely. And idle coal stove is a rusting coal stove.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
...with pellets you don't have to worry about getting dirty as you might with coal...
I've known people that have burned both and from what I can gather pellets might have a slight edge there. They are both going to produce some dirt in the household if you have the stove in the living space. The coal if you get a good batch is washed thoroughly, you can take a piece of it and rub it around in your hands and not get dirty if it's clean... when I say clean I mean rinsed with water. It's a very hard substance, the hardest stuff is going to be almost glass like. I even made a tie pin once out of a flatter piece about the size of an eraser, looked damn good too.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:36 PM

For everyone's reference...I just bought 10 bags of pellets from Cozy Barn in Wind Gap...the price went up 40 cents to $4.50 for a 40lb. bag...still a good price considering the other shops that sell pellets are changing as much as $6.25/ton with a 2 ton minimum plus delivery charges...obviously if you pick it up yourself there is no minimum/no delivery charges...I told the lady about this at Cozy Barn and she couldn't believe it...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
I hope this is okay with everyone - I merged the two pellet stove threads into one and changed the name to simply "Pellet stoves". As I sit here in my cool electric heated house, a pellet stove sounds very appealing!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks, toobusytoday...makes it easier to follow what's going on now....

Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 AM

371 posts, read 934,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I'm not sure of the BTU rating of the current unit, but here's a link to it
25-PDVC Pellet Stove
As I mentioned, I got it at Lowes for $500 on clearance at the end of the season.

I don't have a basement and I'm heating all the house that I use. It's in the SE corner of the living/dining room and I have a corner fan in the upper corner of the hall to blow heat down to the bath and bed rooms. My bedroom has a ceiling fan that I run backwards to draw heat from the hall into the room.

That Econo looks cute. May have too consider that. Depends on what my raise is this year, if we get one. Been talk that we might not.

I vote for the econo coal stove!!!
Lets see how good my tax guy is this year...lol

Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
Lets see how good my tax guy is this year...lol
Actually there is one boiler eligible for $1500 tax credit which is good until next year. Their particular design just happens to work with wood pellets or corn so it's eligible. Actually nothing new as some farmers apprently used corn in it for many years. It's not cheap and probably in the $9 to $10K range before tax credit and that only gets it out of the dealers shop. You only have to buy it once though, it's lifetime purchase.

The efm 520 Stoker-Boiler Qualifies for a $1500 Tax Credit - e-f-m Heating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania