U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-03-2007, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 46,917 times
Default A Pocono Country Place

Hi guys, I'm looking to invest in a town called Tobyhanna PA. There is a huge community called A Pocono Country place. I've gotten mixed reviews about it. I went up there the other day and I liked what I saw. I've done tons of research on it and the price:rent ratio is great. Unforetunetly, I've been hearing that this place has been experiencing some problems. More specifically drugs,gangs and violence. Any insight would be great appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Unread 02-03-2007, 05:45 PM

2,832 posts, read 6,789,128 times
I live further North and I have always heard that there are problems in The Pocono Country Place. I once knew a security officer and he said there were a lot of problems with gangs. There was a shooting there within the last year.
Are you looking to move to Tobyhanna? Perhaps looking for a place with reasonable distance to NY or NJ? Will this be a vacation home or a permanent residence? Answers to these questions can help many of us on this board give you some good, safe suggestions.

Unread 02-04-2007, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 46,917 times
I'm looking to buy and then rent them out. I know its about a 2 hour drive from where I live now (brooklyn). Anyone have any suggestions from an investment stand point?

Unread 02-04-2007, 09:52 AM

4,104 posts, read 6,415,107 times
We looked into buying a few years ago for an investment. From talking and looking at some of the places there, its hard to have renters. A few of the houses we looked at ; or at least tried to look at, were awful on the outside, we couldnt get into see them because the tenants had the houses locked. Even though the realtor had told them we were coming, they didnt want the house to be viewed as if it sold, its hard to come by rentals.
We stayed away from Tobyhanna ; it has a bad rap. We ended up putting things on hold but may look again this year. But it would be for a vacation home.
Good luck
dorothy

Unread 02-04-2007, 06:57 PM

8 posts, read 71,422 times
Hi.me And My Husband Purchased A Home In A Pocono Country 2 Years Ago.we Mainly Purchased It For A Vacation Home.we Have Had No Problems.i Am Also From Brooklyn. I Have A Cousin Who Moved There 5 Years Ago.and Had Has No Problems.dont Believe Everything You Hear.we Are Also Thinking About Renting Our Property.. Good Luck To You.

Unread 02-04-2007, 07:01 PM

25,463 posts, read 42,453,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandel View Post
Hi.me And My Husband Purchased A Home In A Pocono Country 2 Years Ago.we Mainly Purchased It For A Vacation Home.we Have Had No Problems.i Am Also From Brooklyn. I Have A Cousin Who Moved There 5 Years Ago.and Had Has No Problems.dont Believe Everything You Hear.we Are Also Thinking About Renting Our Property.. Good Luck To You.
It's refreshing to hear from one of the 10,000 souls who actually call A Pocono Country Place home! I'll admit that I even told Tony that the community had a reputation for criminal activity, based upon what you read in the Pocono Record and see on WNEP, but I made sure to also tell him that I don't live there and to try to garner some opinions from actual residents of PCP. My ex-boyfriend's family also hails from Brooklyn, and they live in Pocono Farms. They love it there. However, my ex also told me that he heard of gang activity occurring in PCP. It's nice to hear, JoandDel, that you've had a wonderful experience living there, but do you know any reason why PCP is getting such an awful rap from everyone else?

Unread 02-04-2007, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 71,422 times
HI TONYG. MY COUSIN LIVES IN A POCONO COUNTRY SHE AND HER HUSBAND RELOCATED 5 YEARS AGO FROM QUEENS.SHE HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS,,FROM WHAT I HERE IS THAT THEIR ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE RELOCATING THERE FROM NYC AND NJ MORE PEOPLE MORE CRIME.ALSO A POCONO COUNTRY PLACE IS THE BIGGEST COMMUNITY IN THE POCONOS.I HEARD THE GANGS ARE MORE IN THE STROUDSBURG AREA.I HAVE Had no problems at all i have all nice neighbors.one of my neighbors just moved here in august from las vegas.

Unread 02-05-2007, 02:33 PM

25,463 posts, read 42,453,996 times
Just some more food for thought. I read in today's Scranton Times-Tribune about a carjacking in Coolbaugh Township, which is home to Tobyhanna. A man claims that four men approached him, identified themselves as members of the Bloods, took his wallet and stole his Land Rover. The four fled to A Pocono Country Place, where two of the assailants lived, and they ditched the vehicle. Of the four arrested, two were from New York City. Apparently, my ex-boyfriend's claims were true---The Bloods indeed have a gang presence established within A Pocono Country Place, right underneath the noses of the community's residents.

Unread 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 63,486 times
I used to live in Long Pond, PA (not far from Tobyhanna). It's been 4 years since we moved, but I used to hear all sorts of things about gang activity and other crime (including murders and shootings) in A Pocono Country Place. Maybe things have changed, I don't know.

Two other items that may interest you -- the last time I was there, I was reading that residents of PCP had to pay something like $800 every year for 'community fees' (not sure exactly what the fees cover - maybe a pool, garbage pickup, security??). These fees are separate, and have nothing to do, with property or municipal taxes. I know the residents were very angry about this, as these fees had increased sharply from previous years.

Second, apparently, a lot of these homes built in PCP were built by a company called Raintree Homes (they may have changed their name by now because they were under investigation by the Attorney General and the Feds.) There is/was also a pending class-action lawsuit against the builder by many area residents - Raintree Homes, supposedly in conjunction with an appriaser and mortgage banker listed the value of the homes higher than what they should be. A 180K home was really only worth 135K for example. So, when a resident wanted to refi or sell their home, they would end up losing a lot of $$$.

Just something to watch out for...CCM

Unread 02-16-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 22,362 times
Default Can't believe everything you hear

Hello Tony G

I have to agree with joandel. The more new people the chance of more crime. I am from brooklyn, east new york and I moved out to Tobyhanna- Pocono Country Place (PCP) about a year ago. I have not experience any of this gang activity that I am reading about on the message board and I am familiar with what the signs are of gang activity coming from ENY. As far as the news when I do decide to watch I have not heard anything negative about the area, but I have heard about the surrounding areas with the drug activity. Again, every area place will have its crime with new people, but from day one up until now my daughter and I love the it. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania