U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM

164 posts, read 238,440 times
Maybe my response wasn't snotty ... as I see at least one person who said something similar to what I wrote ...

I have to agree that we are jumping the gun ... Dan it doesn't have to be a stroke ... it could very well be an overdose ... but I am not a medical examiner so I do not know ... but if there were no signs of trauma ... how do you suppose the murder killed this person?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Dan was that woman murdered in Scranton ... I thought that they found evidence that she had been murdered in an apartment in Tobyhanna ... she had been from Scranton ... but I didn't think that she was murdered here ... I may have missed that part of the news story ...

Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,469,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
There was a womans body found (http://scrantontimes.com/articles/2008/09/04/news/doc48bfec98ec296968616113.txt - broken link)near Olive st in Scranton this morning. This is on a direct walking route for kids to get to the SHS and its just around the corner from where the 79 year old man had his throat slit. The body was found around 7am and that just happens to be the same time that the man was attacked....

Is this area of the city that unsafe?
What about the children walking to school in the early morning?

My pride is restored Mayor Doherty....How many stabbings and homicides have we had in the last few months while you are trying to break the SPD union and cutting back on officers on shifts???????

His personal crusade against the unions is starting to seriously affect our public safety and the health and welfare of the residents of Scranton.

This also the same area that the woman whose body was cut up and spread along the highway in the poconos was beaten and then taken out of town.

CHS89 Please explain to me in my post where I said that it was murder or where I stated which way or how she died? Coroner??? I doubt it but thanks. I actually never even implied how she died did I? I just said that she was found........

Lus I thought that the girl from the poconos was killed on the bridge and then taken to the poconos. I'll double check but if I was wrong does it really make a difference?

The point is that there seems to be alot happening in the area around Penn and Olive which happens to be the ONLY ROUTE for the kids to use to get to school from the hill.

Now if it was a overdoes does that make it any less of a crime? Overdose is just another way to say that someone was killed by another persons weapon(DRUGS). It seems that a few of you are ok with the fact that it might be a OD, why?

What if she didn't OD on the bridge? What if she OD'd on Olive and it was your kid walking to school and they found her, what would that theraphy cost to get your kid straightened out?

If it was an overdoes that makes it OK?

Violent crimes and drug related robberies are up across the city and region and we are cutting back on the SPD? Your joking right? Restore the pride, but to only a few select areas is that it.

Eliminating the minimium manning clause was a huge mistake. Courtright even stated at the last council meeting that he did not understand why it was done, it didn't make sense.

A close friend of my family's son wanted nothing but to be a scranton cop and during the last series of tests in the srping he was hired and this kid couldn't wait to start and I warned him that it is not what he thinks but I wished him the best...... He called me yesterday to tell me that he has already applied to other boroughs and townships and wants out, its that bad. For years all he wanted was to work in Scranton as a cop and now after what 5 months he wants and he wants out now.

The Doherty admin caved on the Rescue Mission and gave up. They willingly allow a homeless and drug shelter to be open in a neighborhood and on a street that countless children use everyday and they have not put any police presence in the area and that comes from people that live on Gordon st and have tried to get the city to enforce its rules on the shelter and nothing.

Honestly if its not in the downtown or Southside they don't seem to care much do they? I wonder why? What or who is sooo important in Southside that they seem to get the mayors attention while the rest of the city is allowed to fall to pieces?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,137,595 times
Quote:
CHS89 Please explain to me in my post where I said that it was murder or where I stated which way or how she died? Coroner??? I doubt it but thanks. I actually never even implied how she died did I? I just said that she was found........
Please explain to me in my post where I called you, specifically, a coroner? Defensive much?

Agreed, you just said that she was found. No, wait, not just... You then went on, as usual, to seize the opportunity to go off on another silly rant against Doherty. Nope, cant imagine where I picked up any whiff of implication you cast in your ever so subtle way.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,469,789 times
As usual your just here to be you I guess................

If you need me to do your work for you I can, if there is anything else that your having a hard time with just let me know ok.....

Thanks Buddy.......Oh by the way since you sheep like to think that the Times is the only credible news source in the area let me point you to what we like to refer to as the

CHANNEL 16 NEWS AT NOON.

THANKS FOR COMING HAVE A NICE DAY.....@#$%^&*

In case your having a hard time clicking the link I'll provide you with a copy of the story........

Body Discovered in Scranton
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 10:03 AM EST
Last Updated: Sep 4, 2008 03:31 PM EST

Police in Scranton have identigied a body that was found Thursday morning outside a garage.

Investigators collect evidence near a garage on Olive Street after a woman's body was found Thursuday morning.

Officers said a homeless man found the body of a woman lying in a wooded area where homeless people often camp for the night. Police said they don't believe the woman died where she was found. She appears to be in her late 20s or early 30s.
Police said they know who the woman is but are trying to notify her family.

There were no obvious signs of trauma. An autopsy was done and investigators are waiting for the results of toxicology tests.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Dan, I agree that we need more cops and more well-equipped cops in this city, but the real reason for Scranton's crime is DRUGS. take away the drug addicts, and we would have next to no crime in this city aside from jaywalking and of course, DUI (and that problem could legitimately be called drug addiction too).
What did drugs have to do with the murder on S. Irving Ave? And how would double, triple, 10x the police force have stopped a dude who was so motivated to kill exactly who he did that he left survivors? He had his targets, was not apparently on or in search of drugs, and it was apparently planned to the point that a beat cop or saturation patrol may merely have only changed the time frame of the incident, not prevented it in any way.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM

You go Dan! I looked at WNEP and missed the link to the story. Bully for you. Rep points coming your way, I'm sure. I also used the article you cited, the always incaurate Scranton Times (you sure like to cite them a lot for having such a low opinion of them. Curious...) as well as WYOU (admittedly, not the most comprehensive of news sources), but give me credit for looking elsewhere, even if your tunnel vision couldn't read the part where I mentioned that I did.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 PM

45 posts, read 83,145 times
weluv, i hear what you're saying but, let's take into account the triple murder. that crime involved jealousy and bad judgement and no amount of police protection would have prevented it. that area of olive st is a homeless haven and not saying that being homeless predisposes anyone to crime, but to agree with another poster here, the actual crime is drugs and drug activity, which may have alot to do with the person being homeless in the first place aside from mental illness, lack of a job, lack of family, etc. drugs are expensive and once someone is hooked they lose their families, their homes, their friends and the list goes on. let's wait for the conclusion and go from there.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:

Lus I thought that the girl from the poconos was killed on the bridge and then taken to the poconos. I'll double check but if I was wrong does it really make a difference?

The point is that there seems to be alot happening in the area around Penn and Olive which happens to be the ONLY ROUTE for the kids to use to get to school from the hill.

Now if it was a overdoes does that make it any less of a crime? Overdose is just another way to say that someone was killed by another persons weapon(DRUGS). It seems that a few of you are ok with the fact that it might be a OD, why?

What if she didn't OD on the bridge? What if she OD'd on Olive and it was your kid walking to school and they found her, what would that theraphy cost to get your kid straightened out?

If it was an overdoes that makes it OK?

Violent crimes and drug related robberies are up across the city and region and we are cutting back on the SPD? Your joking right? Restore the pride, but to only a few select areas is that it.

Eliminating the minimium manning clause was a huge mistake. Courtright even stated at the last council meeting that he did not understand why it was done, it didn't make sense.

A close friend of my family's son wanted nothing but to be a scranton cop and during the last series of tests in the srping he was hired and this kid couldn't wait to start and I warned him that it is not what he thinks but I wished him the best...... He called me yesterday to tell me that he has already applied to other boroughs and townships and wants out, its that bad. For years all he wanted was to work in Scranton as a cop and now after what 5 months he wants and he wants out now.

The Doherty admin caved on the Rescue Mission and gave up. They willingly allow a homeless and drug shelter to be open in a neighborhood and on a street that countless children use everyday and they have not put any police presence in the area and that comes from people that live on Gordon st and have tried to get the city to enforce its rules on the shelter and nothing.

Honestly if its not in the downtown or Southside they don't seem to care much do they? I wonder why? What or who is sooo important in Southside that they seem to get the mayors attention while the rest of the city is allowed to fall to pieces?

Dan ... I think that it does matter where this woman was murdered and cut up for to be disposed of like trash along a highway ... it doesn't matter to her ... and don't take that wrong ... but it does matter to the citizens of Scranton ... we have enough of a negative image ... and how in the world would having more police presence in Scranton (not that I am for the cuts in the police dept. because I am not) have helped to prevent this particular crime?

The triple Homicide in South Scranton could not have been prevented ... how would having a beat cop walking have prevented this ... nobody could have know what was going on in that house ... he did not shoot these people and even if he did by the time anyone would have gotten there it would have already been too late to do anything to save them. They had no indication from this man that they were in danger from him ... he snapped ... no amount of police officers could have prevented that.

As far as the young woman who was found on Olive St. ... again that is another truly sad situation ... and I for one want to wait and see what the toxicology reports say ... you didn't need to come right out and call it a murder ... you put it right out there without ever saying the word when you stated that more police presence could have prevented this ... when you lumped this story in with the slashing and stabbing's ...

The police know as does everyone who lives in Scranton that there is a large homeless population living down in that area ... we need to do something about it ... and that has been that way down there for many many years ... it did not just pop up when Doherty cut the manning clause out of the contract.

And to address this issue of the homeless/drug rehab down there ... you may be right ... it may not be the place for it ... but where would you put it ... where, in your opinion in this town is there a place for these people? Where can they have this type of shelter that would not expose any children to them? You can't put it out in a country setting ... how would they get there to be helped?

Drugs are a problem ... but it is not a homeless problem only ... people that you would never think are taking them ... I myself have never done an illegal drug and am highly opposed to taking anything stronger than an antibiotic ... but that's just me ... People shock and surprise me on a daily basis.

Overdosing on drugs again has been a problem since well before Doherty and the manning clause ... you can't blame everything on the lack of police presence ... because even when we had a strong presence ... these problems existed ... there were murders ... there were drug overdoses ... there were robberies ... again I am not defending the manning cuts ... I am just pointing out that these problems existed before the cuts.

Please don't use these poor victims to further a cause ... unless that cause is to be very careful about whom you allow into your home ... or who you take a ride from ... and to caution people on what can happen when they decide to take drugs ... they are the lessons to be learned from those tragedies ....

Now the poor old man who had his throat slashed and the stabbing victims ... that may have been prevented with a greater police presence ...

Old 09-05-2008, 03:48 AM

3,756 posts, read 5,509,046 times
Interesting comments, am I correct to assume that the Hill section is near the U? If it is and with all the public citizens bullentins coming in - most recently a stabbing then one does what one has to do to protect themselves. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania