Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

Yes one does do what they have to do to protect themselves.

LTCF is only $35 at the sheriff's office.........

Lus I never said it was a murder and I never implied it either. What I said was that there has been alot of issues in that area.

Stabbings, assaults, deaths, OD's whatever.....They could have easliy been prevented with an increased police presence in that area. IF they know that a particular area is bad and they have the man power or extra man power to put police there, then whose fault is it?

I will use whatever I need to so that I can get people to see what is going on in this city. Honestly I can't tell if its a pissing match between you and your buds and the place across the hall or is really that you just don't want to see it. You work for the city and you live in this city and your going to tell me that Doherty is not repsonsible for the condition of the city?

How could you say that he isn't....He is the one in charge, he is the one that makes the decisions and if you won't hold him to those choices then I will and you'll hear the "I told you so" everytime.

20% below the poverty line and the city is bleeding residents at an alarming rate, more homes for sale then ever before in this city...4 and 5 homes on the same block for sale.

$650,000,000 in long term debt, cutting back on the SPD and SFD and 7 years and millions of dollars spent on Nay Aug and the downtown while the rest of the city is left to rot. We don't have the money for beat cops but we have over $15,000,000 for new hires and crony kids, right?

Its getting harder for people to survive in the city and this winter I'm guessing the homeless numbers will be going up when people are unable to afford to live in their homes anymore.

Who should the blame be placed on? If you cannot blame the one who makes the decicions then who do you blame.

Sure the downtown looks better, mind you I said looks better, but at what cost to the residents of Scranton?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Interesting comments, am I correct to assume that the Hill section is near the U? If it is and with all the public citizens bullentins coming in - most recently a stabbing then one does what one has to do to protect themselves. Thanks

It wasn't the Hill section where the stabbing happened and this body was found. It was the Pine Brook section on the edge of downtown. Its really nowhere near Da U....but even worse, it is the only way to walk to Scranton High School from the Hill section....its right up the street from SHS and is probably the worst section of Scranton, even though South Side gets most of the bad press.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

20% below the poverty line and the city is bleeding residents at an alarming rate, more homes for sale then ever before in this city...4 and 5 homes on the same block for sale.

$650,000,000 in long term debt, cutting back on the SPD and SFD and 7 years and millions of dollars spent on Nay Aug and the downtown while the rest of the city is left to rot. We don't have the money for beat cops but we have over $15,000,000 for new hires and crony kids, right?

Its getting harder for people to survive in the city and this winter I'm guessing the homeless numbers will be going up when people are unable to afford to live in their homes anymore.
You make it sound like these problems are exclusive to Scranton. Its not going to be any harder to survive in Scranton than it will be in surrounding towns. There is only one thing that is more expensive in Scranton, and that's the wage tax. BUT, home prices....both to buy and rent, are less in the city. I saved a lot of money on buying my house in the city....I would have paid a lot more for a comparable home in the suburbs...so the high wage tax is a wash.

If you want the reason for the lousy economy, don't look at the mayor....I know some people around here think that Chris Doherty is responsible for all the world's ills (along with the evil "ICN"), and he's sitting in his lair in Green Ridge plotting an Irish takeover of the world....but if you want the real reason for the crappy economy, look to Dubya, Cheney, and the rest of the neocons in Washington and in the oil industry. If you vote for John McSame, you're voting for more of this crap. Chris Doherty, nor anyone in Scranton, is powerful enough to have any effect on the economy whatsoever.

And if you think that the surrounding towns are any better with law enforcement, you're wrong. Most of the smaller towns around here have Barney Fife police departments made up of part-timers making 10 bucks an hour if they're lucky. I had my car vandalized and had some valuables robbed in Jermyn a few years back, and the police there couldn't be bothered. The level of law enforcement in Scranton is still better than surrounding areas, which is why there is more of a problem with robbery, thefts, and home break-ins in the Mid and upper valley than in Scranton. There were even two cops walking the beat in West Side yesterday.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 09-05-2008 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 AM

But he has DONE nothing to try and help the situation here in Scranton..

He has pissed away millions that could of been used to increase the quality of life in the neighborhhods and spent on the SPD and SFD.

We had to lose a firefighter for him to actually give them the equip that they should of already had.

That $650,000,000 is his debt and his alone, no one else can be blamed for that and how much of that debt went towards the public safety and welfare of the residents of Scranton?

How much of that debt went to new unqualified hires with the likes of Hailstone, Elliot, Seitzenger and so on? $15,000,000........

How much of that debt went to the SPD? $000000000000000000000000

The officers are buying their OWN cruisers because the DPW mantained ones are falling apart....hell the engine dropped out of the bottom of one a few years ago didn't it? But we have a shiny new treehouse and a bridge to nowhere....

Listen I'm a USCG Licensed Captain and I'm held repsonsible for anything that goes wrong while I'm on a vessel, sometimes even if I'm not piloting it because I'm the one that has the license and I'm the one that is trained and qualified. I'm the one in charge regardless of who is piloting it, I'm the captain.

Scranton is a ship that is on its way to the bottom and the captain (Doherty) needs to be held accountable for his actions, going down with the ship doesn't relieve you of the responsiblity for the ship.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
But he has DONE nothing to try and help the situation here in Scranton..

He has pissed away millions that could of been used to increase the quality of life in the neighborhhods and spent on the SPD and SFD.

We had to lose a firefighter for him to actually give them the equip that they should of already had.

That $650,000,000 is his debt and his alone, no one else can be blamed for that and how much of that debt went towards the public safety and welfare of the residents of Scranton?

How much of that debt went to new unqualified hires with the likes of Hailstone, Elliot, Seitzenger and so on? $15,000,000........

How much of that debt went to the SPD? $000000000000000000000000

The officers are buying their OWN cruisers because the DPW mantained ones are falling apart....hell the engine dropped out of the bottom of one a few years ago didn't it? But we have a shiny new treehouse and a bridge to nowhere....

Listen I'm a USCG Licensed Captain and I'm held repsonsible for anything that goes wrong while I'm on a vessel, sometimes even if I'm not piloting it because I'm the one that has the license and I'm the one that is trained and qualified. I'm the one in charge regardless of who is piloting it, I'm the captain.

Scranton is a ship that is on its way to the bottom and the captain (Doherty) needs to be held accountable for his actions, going down with the ship doesn't relieve you of the responsiblity for the ship.

Hey I agree with your points, I was just saying that I don't think Doherty has much to do with the crappy economy...high energy prices, and higher prices for just about anything else including food...is the culprit, and that is the fault of the neocons led by Bush and Cheney, and the oil companies.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 AM

164 posts, read 384,831 times
Dan ... I will not discuss what I post "across the hall" ... you keep bringing that up ... I don't ... I have a right to an opinion as does everyone else who posts here ... I am trying my hardest to be respectful to you and your opinions ... I don't think I stated anything that isn't true ... You want everyone to believe that Mayor Doherty is the root of all evil ... and I don't agree with that ... you stated that the Mayor says that there is no crime in Scranton ... but that's not what he said ... he said that we have "low crime" in Scranton ...

I do work for the SSD ... yep I do ... but what does that have to do with my opinions? I guess in your world I should not ever have an opinion ... or a thought ... my love for the city where I was born and raised should be kept to myself ... I know that you don't like that I post here ... I try and follow the rules of this board ... I try and be respectful to all posters ... I don't call them names and tell them to go away because they don't agree with me ... it's not my style ... but you without coming right out and saying it ... seem to think that because of a website across the hall that I should not have a right to post here ... I'm sorry that my presence here bothers you so much ... and know that even if I don't agree with most of what you say ... I still respect your right to say it!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 AM

I don't care if you post here. If you want respect then go down to city hall and get it.

Now on to Doherty...........Where should I start. He has buried the city under generations of debt. He is trying to cut public safety to pieces and all the while crime is on the rise and is increasing in its violent nature. He has poured millions into Nay Aug and the Downtown and there is really nothing to show for it. Even the times ran a "somethings got to be done" clip about the over flowing flower pots full of garbage and weeds in the downtown sidewalks. People are leaving the city in record numbers with more homes on the market then ever before. The city is a mess and to say that the MAYOR is not responsible is just plain old stupid.

He has said more then once in the Times that he is the one that makes the decisions in the city, he is the one in charge and if thats not obvious then I don't know what is.

The only people that defend Mayor Doherty are those that benefit from him and thats it. I guess if I had some land to build a new modular home on so that I could move from a flood zone and the mayor had the DPW clear it for me for free I might look at him a little differently but thats me.

You post like you know me and you don't, you at one point might have known what we have to deal with down here but thats probably not true either since every time the plot flooded they recieved HELP from the city. That help came because of rollover humps like Preambo and half dozen hump residents in the plot.

We see him for what he is and I have called him out numerous times for the lack of support or assistance in the neighborhood and because of that we are left to rot, but you know what its ok. We have had to stand alone and take care of ourselves and the neighborhood is stronger and our families all have become closer. The best people and best situations always rise from the worst situations and thats what has happened down here.

Last edited by weluvpa; 09-06-2008 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Scranton Police say body was moved (http://scrantontimes.com/articles/2008/09/06/news/sc_times_trib.20080906.a.pg3.tt06bodyfolo_s1.19279 30_top5.txt - broken link)

BY KIMM R. MONTONE
STAFF WRITER
Published: Saturday, September 06, 2008
Updated: Saturday, September 6, 2008 9:14 AM EDT

Tiffany Ann Rabiega’s final hours may be a mystery, but police records offer a glimpse of a troubled life.

This much is clear to police who found her body along Barrett Court on Thursday morning — she was a 35-year-old woman whose last known address is 621 Mineral Ave.

At 621 Mineral Ave. there is just a limousine business, near a condemned house with a garage in the rear. No one answered the door Friday.

While the cause of death remains under investigation pending toxicology test results, Scranton police Capt. Carl Graziano said investigators think the woman most likely did not die where they found her.

“We don’t believe she died there. We believe she was placed there,” Capt. Graziano said.

Patrol officers found her next to a red single-car garage along Barrett Court after a homeless man made the initial find shortly before 7 a.m. Thursday and alerted authorities.

That morning, she had on a pair of denim shorts, a white tank top, white sneakers and no socks, police said. She was wearing earrings and had painted fingernails, police said.

A crime scene was set up on Barrett Court as the Lacka-wanna County coroner’s office performed an autopsy on the victim, whose body showed no signs of trauma. Toxicology tests were done, but the results take an average of six to eight weeks.

The Police Department turned the case over to the detective division’s drug unit, said Detective Acting Capt. Al Leoncini.

Ms. Rabiega had previous run-ins with the law, including some involving drugs, according to police records.

In March 2004, police were dispatched to 1431 Monsey Ave. after Ms. Rabiega nearly overdosed on prescription drugs. She was taken to Community Medical Center, according to Scranton police.

She was arrested in July 2006 on charges of aggravated assault, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person.

According to that police report, she had splashed a spoonful of pierogi grease on her 14-year-old daughter’s face. The minor suffered second-degree burns on her face, chest and shoulders, police said.

She later pleaded guilty to endangering the welfare of children and was sentenced to eight to 18 months in prison.

On March 13, police were called for an overdose at 605 Harrison Ave., where Ms. Rabiega was a witness, according to police records. She allegedly told officers that she snorted heroin.

Efforts to locate family and friends were unsuccessful Friday.

Since she OD'd and some think thats ok, does it make it a crime because she was DUMPED on the route to SHS? Like I said what if she was dumped 10 ft further down the alley, say right on the sidewalk of Olive st....

We need beat cops and we need them in these neighborhoods, the fact that Pinebrook doesn't have one is wrong and the fact that we supposedly don't have the money for them is wrong as well. Like I said we have $650,000 for a treehouse and $1,200,000 for a bridge and want $18,000,000 for a new library that we don't need but WE DON'T HAVE FUNDS FOR BEAT COPS!

We can't afford the OT so lets eliminate the minimium manning clause to save money for other things and nevermind the publics safety that doens't matter as long as we can funnel money to our contractors and contributors.

My pride is restored.......

What I can't believe is these people have the gaul to commit crimes during an election year. They also seem to be committing these crimes during the day, didn't they get the memo from the police chief about crime only happens at night?

Last edited by weluvpa; 09-06-2008 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 AM

45 posts, read 132,434 times
They also seem to be committing these crimes during the day, didn't they get the memo from the police chief about crime only happens at night?[/quote]

the above quote is silly weluv. apparently since this woman was found at seven in the morning wouldn't you imagine that her death took place at some time before that??? otherwise, she would have been found much later, right???

Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 AM

164 posts, read 384,831 times
I'm not asking you for respect ... but I will show you respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania