Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Wow! I'm reading a flood watch that's currently scrolling across the bottom of the screen on the Weather Channel, and they are predicting that our area, especially areas along I-81 and to the east into the Poconos, could receive at least 3-6 inches of rain on Saturday from Tropical Storm Hanna as it moves up the Eastern Seaboard. This is time to make preparations if you live along flood-prone waterways (I'm thinking of you, weluvpa). Get those sump pumps, shop vacs, and everything else ready to potentially dry out your basements. I'm sure our basement will probably flood as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM

The only saving grace for us is that the climate has been bone dry over the past several weeks. I just mowed our lawn after school yesterday, and it was like a giant dust bowl! This could be a mixed blessing. Either this very dry ground could absorb several inches of rain without a problem, or the expected heavy intensity of this rainfall could be too much in too short of a period of time to soak in, leading to excessive run off. I run frequently along the Susquehanna River in the Lower West Side, and the water level is the lowest I've seen it all year, with a lot of land poking up in the middle. I don't expect any flooding issues along the main branch of this river. However, the Delaware River may come close to being bank full. Be careful, folks! Ike and Josephine are right on Hanna's heels, but thankfully it looks as if Ike has its sights set on Miami and then heading northwestward (potentially towards New Orleans again I'm sad to say), so it should not impact us. Let's hope Josephine doesn't come up the coast within the next week as well, which WILL cause river flooding.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The only saving grace for us is that the climate has been bone dry over the past several weeks. I just mowed our lawn after school yesterday, and it was like a giant dust bowl! This could be a mixed blessing. Either this very dry ground could absorb several inches of rain without a problem, or the expected heavy intensity of this rainfall could be too much in too short of a period of time to soak in, leading to excessive run off. I run frequently along the Susquehanna River in the Lower West Side, and the water level is the lowest I've seen it all year, with a lot of land poking up in the middle. I don't expect any flooding issues along the main branch of this river. However, the Delaware River may come close to being bank full. Be careful, folks! Ike and Josephine are right on Hanna's heels, but thankfully it looks as if Ike has its sights set on Miami and then heading northwestward (potentially towards New Orleans again I'm sad to say), so it should not impact us. Let's hope Josephine doesn't come up the coast within the next week as well, which WILL cause river flooding.
Really?!?! Everything is still lush and green here over by Pittsburgh. I hate when we get these remnants from hurricanes and tropical storms We should miss Hanna here, but we're about to get what's left of Gustav, which joined with a regular frontal system. Good luck out there everyone!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
Yes, lawns are brown here in certain areas...my lawn still looks (kinda) green, but everything is VERY VERY DRY. On WNEP weather, they are only predicting an inch of rain for the area....so how much? I guess going to Knoebels on Saturday is not a good idea?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Yes, lawns are brown here in certain areas...my lawn still looks (kinda) green, but everything is VERY VERY DRY. On WNEP weather, they are only predicting an inch of rain for the area....so how much? I guess going to Knoebels on Saturday is not a good idea?
My parents were going to go to Knoebel's on Saturday as well. They're not supposed to get as much rain out in Central PA as we're expecting here in the Poconos area, but I'd keep the umbrella handy. I was just watching Snedeker, and I saw they were only predicting an inch or two. We'll have to just wait and see whether we're getting 1 or 6 inches.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:28 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
I miss rain.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
OH my lawn is a barren waste! Maybe it can be hay for the cows..........
It just died out from lack of rain. I can't use a sprinkler........its too darn big of a yard.
So............any hungry cows? Send them over!

PS The girls are having a girls night out party in the hot tub.........Saturday! Rain or Shine.......Hurricane or Not! What a hoot that is gonna be.....

Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,634 times
My brother and his family live in Wilmington, NC, and my mom has a summer place at Carolina Beach. Sounds like just wind (65 MPH or so) and rain, so he's not expecting a lot of damage (he's an anchor at the CBS affiliate there, so no matter what category the storm is, he stays!). They are most worried about beach erosion - the city spent an enormous amount of money the past few years on beach reclamation. I hope it's not too serious.

But, if you can spare one, say a prayer for everyone there to be safe and smart when it comes to Hanna.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Ike and Josephine are right on Hanna's heels, but thankfully it looks as if Ike has its sights set on Miami and then heading northwestward (potentially towards New Orleans again I'm sad to say), so it should not impact us. Let's hope Josephine doesn't come up the coast within the next week as well, which WILL cause river flooding.
Paul, you guys will probably have to deal with some remnants of Ike eventually, but Josephine's staying out to sea!!

The weather predictions we get here in South Florida is different than the predictions you see on The Weather Channel...much more accurate when I do comparisons. The "projected paths" of the storms don't always jibe.

As of tonight, Ike is predicted to go through either north Cuba or the Keys & emerge into the Gulf & parallel the Florida coast & then up the States...subject to Mother Nature's whims of course!!

Whichever way, it's always good to be prepared "IN CASE"!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:47 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
I have photos of the reclamation of the Myrtle Beach area. A lot of time and energy was spent on the beaches. I'd so hate to see that all be washed away. I know they worked hard up at the NC beaches too. Some storms left homes out in the ocean. Some streets were lost. Oceanside, became oceanfront in many locations. Neighbors homes washed away!
I really hope and pray that it comes in like a lamb and leaves as such!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania