Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,599,497 times

Advertisements

Well so far I have lost two garage door openers....at different times.
Also a dimmer at the other end of the home, and a stereo system in the basement. This from two different, but potent storms.
Now our neighbor today has lost his electric to one bedroom, his computer, and some other things.
So my question is..............
Is there a arrester for protection to ones home?
Yes, I have surgers on all lines, but......alas we didn't do the garage openers as we should have.
We had the electric company up here just last week and they said my meter is grounded.
Can we buy something? What would we ask for? I know it would be an electricans job.........
We did not burn any switches in the box..........but our neighbors is burnt to a crisp.
My mountain is making me worry..Seems lightning likes our location.

Do any of you have this issue also? Its a bit hair raising around here...
How do I ground my entire home........that sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:24 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,766,222 times
Last year when we were camping in Scotrun, we were watching an awesome lightening storm. Suddenly there was a HUGE bang ; we were blinded. The lightening hit the tree about 50 ft from us, it also took out the security gate.

Good luck ; I would be scared ; way to close for my comfort.

d

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM

372 posts, read 1,225,348 times
Default Oh my Summering!!

While I can't offer much help on the electrical situation, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're okay. The lightning was vivid here on Mt. Cobb, and a little too close for my comfort!!

I'm sure a phone call to PPL, or maybe google it? But I bet you'll get someone here who can help you out.

Take care today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Also a dimmer at the other end of the home, and a stereo system in the basement. This from two different, but potent storms.
Now our neighbor today has lost his electric to one bedroom, his computer, and some other things.
Yes, I have surgers on all lines, but......alas we didn't do the garage openers as we should have.
We had the electric company up here just last week and they said my meter is grounded.
Can we buy something? What would we ask for? I know it would be an electricans job.........
We did not burn any switches in the box..........but our neighbors is burnt to a crisp.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM

I know.........its not in the least fun. The lightning and the bang are ONE around here. No delay........
Yep, I had the PP&L up here last week.......ahead of these storms.
All they could say was their underground line was grounded.......emmmhummm.
But, there has to be something.......to protect ones home.
Rods! Oh quite scarey a thought ..........but they use them in the city, right?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,085,824 times
Lightning protection for your home this link is very informative, about why lightening strikes your home, and about lightning rods.

Associated Lightning Rod Company Inc. this link is for the Associated Lightning Rod Co., who serve the entire north east. They do free estimates and inspections.

I don't know how expensive it would be, but it's worth looking into.

just glad you're ok, and that your computer is ok, so you can still hang with us!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,435,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post

The best protection is to have lightning rods installed on your house, but they can be very expensive!!

Down here in Florida, we're considered the "lightning capital" & we have DOOZY storms all summer!! I checked into having lightning rods installed on our house & was quoted between $5000.00 & $8000.00!!! I'm sure it's probably in the same ballpark up by y'all!!

The only other thing I can suggest is what I do all the time......PRAY good & heavy!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,356,175 times
Those storms this morning truly were awesome in their intensity, weren't they? Where was the National Weather Service during all of this? Usually I mock them for issuing severe thunderstorm warnings for what I deem to be "duds" by the time to reach my home, but this morning's commute into Downtown Wilkes-Barre around 7:20 AM was an absolute nightmare. People even slowed to the speed limit on I-81 between Pittston and the Diamond City, which is something you don't see all too often!

Thankfully most drivers, including myself, tried be as respectful and courteous to pedestrians as possible, as many streets in Wilkes-Barre were taking on water. At the entrance to my commuter parking lot near the Irem Temple cars along North River Street were pushing their way through water nearly up to the tops of their bumpers during the height of the downpours! My trusty Dunder-Mifflin umbrella that I picked up at "The Office" convention in Scranton last year proved its weight in gold as I held it at a 90-degree angle to my left to shield myself from the large spray from passing vehicles. The lightning and thunder was other-worldly as well. I often sleep through all sorts of inclement weather, but the thunder this morning shook our home near Pittston so much that it jolted me right out of bed at around 6:30 AM (nature's alarm clock, if you will). I had to dodge the lightning and said a quick prayer as I took one of the briefest showers I've ever taken in my life---I was all grungy from my run yesterday and didn't want to take a FrouFrou bath with my cologne.

FightinPhils, what time do you usually head into work? I was following a red Toyota Corolla down I-81 and then down 309 and Wilkes-Barre Boulevard for quite some time this morning with a Gibbons Toyota license plate, so there's a good chance the driver was from Scranton. The male driver turned right onto Butler Street whereas I turn right the next block down at Scott Street to head to campus. Could that have been you?

Summering, I'm just glad to hear that you and yours are safe and sound. When we purchased our home in 1996 our neighbors told us that it had been struck by lightning in the 1980s as well. Before our next-door neighbor built his McMansion in 1998 we were the highest-elevated home in the subdivision. My bedroom window sits beneath the shadow of a very large (perhaps 70-foot) pine tree, and I'm always terrified during violent weather that it will come crashing down on top of me and make me a Paul Pancake!

Our garage door opener mysteriously stopped working some time ago as well. I never considered the possibility that it may have been an indirect result of a lightning strike. For months we just got off our lazy rear-ends and lifted the heavy 1970s-era door up and down until finally getting a new system. Best of luck in getting yours repaired!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM

923 posts, read 3,085,748 times
I do what my father taught us to do. Unplug everything !!!! Especially the more expensive items, Computer, TV, etc. !!! Also, if the storm was in the middle of the night we had to get up out of bed, get dressed or at least put our shoes on... Just in case the house caught on fire from a lightning strike we were prepared. I still do all of those things today !!!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM

nkotb..........You mean you get up, go back to bed, and then..........sleep in your shoes.............
Please take a picture.......its just such a hoot to think about. Cute story.

I did unplug everything "mostly" ......stayed out of the shower......didn't pick up the phone when it rang.....all those rules of the storm kinda things.

Now I have to read about lightning rods from PoconoProud........thanks Pocono!

Jungle, if the costs are high, I'll stick to praying and unplugging.

I don't want to be a Summering Pancake either, like Paul Pancake has said.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,085,824 times
you're welcome, dear.

NO, we don't want a Summering Pancake...lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania