Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times

Advertisements

We've already discussed the possibilty of bringing a 'mini farmer's market' to the immediate downtown, and there's even a vacant lot across from the Catherdral that would be ideal. How much could a couple rudimentary wooden stands cost?
Let's hear your ideas for inexpensive ways to improve life in the Electric City, and set the cap at 30k or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
My ideas:
  • Scranton could use some community gardens, similar to what they have in Downtown Wilkes-Barre and in The Abingtons. People from all walks of life can pay a fee to "rent" a plot in the garden, which they are then responsible for sowing, planting, upkeeping, and harvesting. Due to the crime problems with the gardens in Wilkes-Barre, it would be helpful if police surveillance cameras were installed here as well. It's small things like these that help to foster a sense of neighborhood spirit and carmaraderie.
  • Station volunteers at various busy intersections in and around the city to pass out brochures featuring a city map, restaurant menus, coupons for downtown merchants, etc. to interested drivers stopped at red lights.
  • The city of Scranton should keep tabs on property transfers and notifications of new tenants moving into the Electric City and assemble very cheap "care packages" for them to help them get acquainted with the city---a copy of this month's Happenings Magazine, a free copy of the Times-Tribune, a copy of the current week's Electric City publication, a welcome letter from the mayor, restaurant menus, brochures to tourist attractions, coupons for merchants, city maps, etc.
  • Urban forestry!!! I can't emphasize this enough!!! Many Scranton neighborhoods are leafy and attractive. The ugly ones could use some greenery though!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Let's hear your ideas for inexpensive ways to improve life in the Electric City, and set the cap at 30k or less.
Fill a few potholes......What happened to the skatepark?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Fill a few potholes......What happened to the skatepark?
Skate park, you say? That's good to hear. Scranton most certainly could use one to give the teens a safe place to board. I suppose a dog park was higher up on the priority list than a park for children?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Skate park, you say? That's good to hear. Scranton most certainly could use one to give the teens a safe place to board. I suppose a dog park was higher up on the priority list than a park for children?
Don't forget thats a $350,000 dog park my friend.

The skatepark was moving forward and they were writing the grants to submit to the Tony Hawk group for funding and some other group that funds skateparks for municipalities. They talked about weston field and it was supposed to be a concrete park with possible bowl. I was pumped, but god knows what happened.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM

What if they started an awards program? A couple cheapie plaques might go a long way towards energizing a few areas that are borderline. They could have one for 'best garden in Greenridge,' 'best lawn in Hyde Park,' or 'best preservation of an historic home,' things of that nature. A little fanfare and a certificate might make a difference with some people. They could even do one for best Holiday decorations. All you would need is a small committee, and the awards could probably even be paid for if they had an annual fundraiser, meaning there would be no out-of-pocket expense from the city.

I like this idea more and more. If it pops up elsewhere, you heard it here first.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
I like this thread-- I hope it doesn't spiral out of control. (weluv!)

I like the idea of community gardens, though wonder if they'd get used when most people already have yards.. A skatepark would be great, too.

A couple ideas:

* Some more playgrounds. I live in a pretty central area of Hyde Park and all the playgrounds are a 15 minute walk in any direction. There are little parks (Main at Schlager, Main at Price) which are largely unused. Just need a slide and some swings (maintenance of them may push it over $30k, I suppose.) Maybe we're the only people around who want our kids to interact with other kids, though.

* Build/maintain a comprehensive registry of neighborhood associations and other groups. (And online groups/mailing lists as well.)

* Neighborhood open house tours. I'd love to see other houses in our neighborhood, get some ideas for our own, and I think they could instill more pride in people's houses/neighborhoods. Could charge $5-10 for tickets in advance to keep out the riff-raff and have it largely pay for itself.

Heck, if I get more time, maybe I'll try to start the latter two..

Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Oh, and I love the idea of a mini-farmers market downtown (and maybe in some other neighborhoods.)

Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 AM

Blip, I'm sure you could get a little cooperation from the parks dept, as long as there is a neighborhood association in place to care of the park afterwards. Scranton may even have a few pieces of 'surplus' equipment from other parks in the city that could be installed, and I would think that they could find some extra money in the budget for simple playground equipment if they felt it would be appreciated. The city actually has a high number of small parks here and there, and I imagine they focus on the ones that ask for help first.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM

I highly doubt that people in Greenridge have gardens.....If they do, they are most likely flower gardens and are maintained by landscapers.

Playgrounds.....Hmmmmm there is a good idea maybe we can get the city to use some of the surplus playground equipment that they have in storage that never seems to get used at all.

The old home thing gets done...My ex had recieved a certificate for restoring a home in Southside long before the area went down.

There is a group of neighborhood leaders, its called the Council of Neighborhoods and they only invite whom they deem to be worthy....Its not really a non-partisan group. Its more political then anything.

Honestly I still think that a skatepark and the proposed opening of another BMX track in the city would be great for the kids here.

They have nowhere to skate and they get hassled downtown and there alot of kids that ride BMX and they just can't get up to Newton to do it, so the guys at Red Barn and Cedar bike have been talking about the area by the ice box to put another track. Last time I was up there they were working on some group designations to help to get more funding and grants.

I would probably be in the skatepark or on the track everyday at least for an hour if they were closer. Yes I am 37 and yes I still race bikes with my son and yes I still skate.......Its not just for kids ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania