Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 14,664 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I really need some insight/help. For an early 50's single West Coast woman...how do you think I'd fit in? I'm not even from the East Coast. I don't want to live some place where it will be difficult to find friends, etc. My decision here is critical for me, as it will be my last opportunity to relocate with a job. Is Paradise a typical Lancaster County village where people are not so welcoming of newcomers? Please please! Any help would e much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,327,532 times
I'll try to help you, but I live in Lititz, which is several miles away. A co-worker lives in Paradise and does like the town. He's been there over 30 years, originally from Nebraska. I think any outsider moving into Lancaster County would have to realize that the people will take a long time to accept them. Try getting involved in as many local events as possible so the locals see your interested in their ways and not trying to change anything. It will take time; be patient. I know the town is small, with Route 30 cutting through it. There is alot of shopping nearby; I think Rockvale Mall is about five minutes west. All things considered I think you'll like it there. I wish I could be of more help. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,693,567 times
Why did you pick Paradise?

If you're moving there because of employment, you don't have to literally live in Paradise.

You could move closer to Harrisburg or York and commute.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 14,664 times
Default Thanks for your comments!

The church where I would be pastor has a house they own which the pastor lives in. It's in Paradise.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:12 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,074,163 times
Change comes slowly to towns and communities in this area of PA. Many newcommers want to change the places and the people. They need to look in the mirror for the problem....

Old 02-18-2007, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,299 times
Default Moving to Paradise

Everyone has their opinion. Paradise is busy during the tourist season. Rt. 30 can be a nightmare. However, the local people are down to earth and for the most part friendly...after getting to know them. I believe it takes a while to be accepted ...people seem guarded to outsiders...but don't give up. If you make friendships here..they are usually life long. Summers are humid, winters are chilly with ice and snow...spring and fall are the best....lots of fresh produce locally grown..many organic farms and sources for good nutrition. Very conservative community and family oriented.

Good luck in your move! From the West Coast to the East Coast is a culture shock, to be sure.

D

Old 02-18-2007, 04:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,310,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loril View Post
The church where I would be pastor has a house they own which the pastor lives in. It's in Paradise.
How can it be anything but a good move........

Old 02-19-2007, 06:43 AM

414 posts, read 1,774,231 times
Are you aware that there's an Intercourse, PA nearby? It used to be said by many a wry Pennsylvanian that the best way to Paradise is thru Intercourse.....so as to your contemplated move........well...why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania