Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

I too am catholic, but I'm not very good at it. I'm also an example of someone who is catholic who actually thinks for his or herself. Back when I was in school we all knew we couldn't afford to have a baby and so the guys all had a condom ready for use. Some of the girls at school had spare condoms in their purse incase the guy didn't have one. What happened between the 80s and today? Was it the fear of AIDS in our time has now been greatly reduced today? Was it increased drug abuse among kids using designer drugs that are cheaper than before? Or is it that society attitudes towards children having sex has relaxed to the point that it's become acceptable and now we have preteen and barely teens having sex or raping children younger than they are.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:48 PM

164 posts, read 384,831 times
I'm not very good at it either ... I look at it this way ... I did not make a choice to be a Catholic ... my parents made that choice for me when I was 2 weeks old. Although I have done nothing to change it so how can I blame them ...

Anyway ... I think that you are right our society has become very relaxed when it comes to teenage sex ... hell I have friends who have their daughters boyfriend living in the house with them ... I could not even imagine asking my parents if that would have been acceptable ... I know it surely would not have been ...

As to keep with the topic ... I think maybe that this was put out there in the heat of a moment and not really intended to ask for a boycott of the Catholic religion ... it's really all about the Bishop ... and one persons belief ... was it "politically correct" pardon the punn ... to have the topic named as it was ... no it wasn't ... do I take offense to it ... no I do not ... am I for abortion ... it's not for me ... but ... I don't tell others how to feel.

Have I sat through a few sermons in my lifetime that have tried to influence me to vote for a pro-life candidate ... yes I have ... Martino is not the first Bishop to encourage us to vote the way of the pro-life movement ... it's been going on for years and years ... he won't be the last to do this ... 4 years from now ... possibly a new bishop will do the same thing. I don't know if it's right or wrong according to IRS rules ... but do I think that they should have the right to do it ... yes I do ... as long as they name no specific candidate ... I think they should be able to ... that's just my opinion. Will it make a difference in my vote ... absolutely not as I will be voting for Obama/Biden.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:03 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Default Religulous

Perhaps we should all take a break and see the movie "Religulous!"

Apple - Trailers - Religulous

Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
Perhaps we should all take a break and see the movie "Religulous!"

Apple - Trailers - Religulous
Yeah, this movie looks like what this country needs to at least start finding some middle ground.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I actually wanted to see that on Friday evening after work but went to see Body of Lies instead. That was also a very, very good movie---very relevant to current affairs in the Middle East.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:05 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Since this thread has not only gone off topic, but also seems to have very little to do with nepa, I am closing it.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania