Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

183 posts, read 519,237 times

Advertisements

I'd like to have some candid description of Blakeslee. I have not been there yet and would like to know anything you can share about purchasing a single family home there. Thanks in advance for a prompt reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,074,460 times
I can tell you it isn't a very big town. Most of Blakeslee is encompassed at the intersections of Rts 940 and 115. There is a supermarket (Aharts), dollar store, WaWa, CVS, Dunkin Donuts, gas station/garage, post office and a farmer's market located at the various points of that intersection...so immediate concerns can be met in a short distance. It is also located close to Rt. 80, leading to Stroudburg in one direction, and to Hazleton in the other. It is almost centrally located between Wilkes-Barre and Allentown. It is close to the turnpike. Blakeslee is clean, quiet...no hustle, surely no bustle. There is the Austin T. Blakeslee Nature Area. Close to ski resorts such as Big Boulder/Jack Frost. There are communities for buying single family homes right in Blakeslee, such as Greenwood Acres...a little further and you can check out Arrowhead Lakes, Lake Harmony perhaps Towamensing Trails. Some very nice communities. It's a town most folks just drive through on their way to somewhere else....a jewel in the rough.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 AM

183 posts, read 519,237 times
Default Sounds wonderful

Thank you so much.

Actually, you've described exactly what I am seeking at this time!

I'll be there with my realtor Tina D'Amato on Thursday and I'm bringing my checkbook!

Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 AM

173 posts, read 578,992 times
They are building a new 'luxary' community right by the 80 overpass with 115. Dont know if your looking for new or not..

What was already explained above is pretty much true. it is a very small town. They also have the Blakeslee Flea Market, and Lake Harmony Beverage is down the road a couple miles (a beer/soda distributor). They are also putting a subway in by the aharts market.

Oh and if you are there for lunch or breakfast i would suggest trying Chat-N-Chew cafe. Its in the blakeslee village shopping center. Very good food there, you'll find some different items on their menu!

I live in Albrightsville which is about 10 miles from blakeslee. That is where Towmensing Trails is located. Again Albrightsville is a small town as well.. even smaller then blakeslee.. So you may want to check that out as well.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM

Hey pocopc.... that luxery community (Keswick Point, I believe) is becoming a pain in the but as they do all the storm water retention digging on 115. It will be completed soon, though.. I understand they will be very expensive town homes...do you know if that is so? I hope they do well with it, considering this economy and the difficulty with financing these days...they as well as our building company are lucky to be in a resort/vacation market, as more folks are building vacation homes than primary homes.

We have had clients who were approved for financing a few months ago, that have now been told will no longer happen. We are fortunate to have a large number of folks building their vacation homes and paying cash, but even they are scared as their 401k's take hits...

I like the Chat-N-Chew as well!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM

173 posts, read 578,992 times
Yeah i believe the townhomes start around 300k, atleast that is what i heard. So i'd assume most of them will be quite a bit above that amount! It is a fairly good location for something like that, being that it is literally right off of I-80. Good commuting location. I believe they are building a retail strip mall there as well, right off 115 to go with that new development. Also there is a "Phase 2" to the Aharts market strip mall that they are supposed to begin building at some point. There is a big sign if you go in the 940 entrance.

So the area looks like it is building up. Maybe they were just waiting for this new development to support all the new shopping centers?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,574,352 times
Remember Blakeslee is in the cold belt. It is about 10 degrees colder up in that area rather then in the Stroudsburg area.
Sometimes while traveling from Bloomsburg on a weekly bases to New Jersey, Blakeslee would be the only area of snow. I noticed it also while bringing kids back and forth between the lower and higher elevations. It would be snow, no snow, and back to snow........then home to no snow. It is something to experience.
People have noted on here that the lower elevation of 115 is far different then climbing up the mountain to the top areas. The top areas are noted by the homeowners as more foggy, and more windy.........plus, yes.......more snow.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,369,283 times
Interesting info, Summering, and good to know, am getting cold just sitting here thinking about the snow, LOL. I thought the OP was interested in a warmish climate such as DE which has affordable housing and low taxes but I c/b wrong, it's late and I've lost track. Lots of interesting small towns in PA, good to know all the in's and out's, weather is certainly an important consideration anywhere.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 AM

This is what Blakeslee looks light now...the above is the of Rt 80 at Rt 115

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll105/poconoproud/DSC02081.jpg?t=1223656339 (broken link)
Just a few pics..also good to know that twice in the summer, Pocono Raceway brings hords of fans to the area...two very busy times for Blakeslee.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:11 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,369,283 times
Oh wow, thanks for the photos, it's not unlike my area in N NJ although perhaps a bit more colorful right now. Curious to hear how Tapshoe did househunting yesterday. Thx again for the peek, Poconoproud, may have to take a trip one of these days to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania