Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:08 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
You people, astound me.
You complain and complain and complain, whine and whine and whine "Scranton Sucks help us from our blight!"
Well here's an idea, get off the computer and make your voice heard in public, or try to make your city better on your own! Honestly all I see here is complaints, but no initiatives on how to make things better, and to be honest, its pathetic! But when Paul wants to make things better, all you can do is scream at him Scranton sucks and try to shove it down his throat that things will never be better, but if you all try you can make things better. Organize a group to donate books to the children of the south side. Plant some trees and flowers in the older areas to make them more desirable. Petition the city government to invest in urban development and city parks and try to get them to develop the Lackawanna River any small thin to improve the city will have a chain reaction until it grows into a very big thing.

Yep, some credence in your post. If you are not part of the solution then perhaps a part of the problem.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:11 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You're preaching to a city replete with armchair quarterbacks, hence why I seek to take my entrepreneurial expertise elsewhere. Nobody in this area really has a "can do" approach. Everyone has the Dan Hubbard approach of throwing the hands in the air, saying "things are hopeless; we're sinking like the Titanic" and then wallowing around in their own self-deprecation. Whenever Scranton receives very unflattering national recognition, such as recent events with Saturday Night Live and Forbes Magazine, online newspaper articles are flooded with hordes of city residents who berate the city with just one or two select cheerleaders defending her integrity. I'm tired of fighting an uphill battle. Let the Legion of Doom, Doherty Deceit, and all of the other losers in the city continue to destroy the city from the inside out by making the city's image seem so unattractive that it will be impossible to attract new residents to bolster the tax base. If they don't appreciate all of the assets they have surrounding them, then the hell with them. I can't live my life beside such lower-class people who do nothing but say "my life sucks, and it's all the government's fault." You know what? I haven't been happy in life in quite some time, but I do NOT blame others for my own shortcomings. Heaven forbid Scrantonians learn a thing or two about personal responsibility instead of always "passing the buck." Instead of whining about the same clogged storm drain for weeks on end at city council meetings to no avail, why not pitch in yourselves and unclog them? We do that here in the suburbs---are you just lazier in the city or what?

Paul, it's not our job to unclog a storm drain. That's why we pay taxes for city services to have a DPW. I don't expect someone to come and do my job. I'd gladly do it if they city reduced taxes instead of raising them.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:53 AM

9 posts, read 28,676 times
Default poor scranton, were doomed

Just want to add some stuff I know as a matter of fact. I work in an industry that pretends to regulate section 8 housing. I don't think there is a more corrupt system in operation. Most tennants in the buildings I have been in don't even speak word one of english. I am extremely well versed in the process of becoming a citizen of the United States. First off, it is not a goal of most illegals to become naturalized. They are way better off being citizens abroad. These landlords,mostly from out of state,could care a less about their origin, nor do they care about their safety. Illegals do participate in the section 8 process, and the landlords rape the system. I know this for a fact, not speculation. The system turns their head, as they need to justify their department. And the problem is, people using section 8, though financially deprived, continue to have large families. AT MY EXPENSE. And the more they have, the more they get. Paid to get Laid. And even that costs me, as no one is turned away at the hospital. I wish I could afford lasic surgery on my eyes. But I can't. These people just walk in and can't be turned away. And they know it. Nobody helps me with my bills when I'm behind.

None of what I say is speculation. It is true. We treat illegals better than veterans. What, no drivers license, ahh, just turn your head. Ever get hit by an uninsured illegal motorist. Your screwed. Scranton is fast becoming the next Hazelton. And they call it diversity. Talk to me in two years. In espanol.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:58 AM

the current administration and council would not move forward with your fine ideas. Your talking to a once very proud Scrantonian. The current mayor makes me sick.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyinpa View Post
Just want to add some stuff I know as a matter of fact. I work in an industry that pretends to regulate section 8 housing. I don't think there is a more corrupt system in operation. Most tennants in the buildings I have been in don't even speak word one of english. I am extremely well versed in the process of becoming a citizen of the United States. First off, it is not a goal of most illegals to become naturalized. They are way better off being citizens abroad. These landlords,mostly from out of state,could care a less about their origin, nor do they care about their safety. Illegals do participate in the section 8 process, and the landlords rape the system. I know this for a fact, not speculation. The system turns their head, as they need to justify their department. And the problem is, people using section 8, though financially deprived, continue to have large families. AT MY EXPENSE. And the more they have, the more they get. Paid to get Laid. And even that costs me, as no one is turned away at the hospital. I wish I could afford lasic surgery on my eyes. But I can't. These people just walk in and can't be turned away. And they know it. Nobody helps me with my bills when I'm behind.

None of what I say is speculation. It is true. We treat illegals better than veterans. What, no drivers license, ahh, just turn your head. Ever get hit by an uninsured illegal motorist. Your screwed. Scranton is fast becoming the next Hazelton. And they call it diversity. Talk to me in two years. In espanol.
Great post. It is really sad that illegals are being treated with this much respect. They should be outcasts in the community and not welcome. They are breaking our laws and they think it's their right to be here. I wish I could get a house and use Section 8, but I make too much money. Like you said, nobody helps with our bills when we're behind. The honest, hard working American is getting screwed in the name of diversity and we're getting tired of it.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 AM

stephanie p,

You stated you wanted to put your two cents in, but I'm afraid there only accepting pesos now. Cmon, get with it. I wish I had as many rights as an illegal. I personally think we can all do our part to let illegals know they aren't welcome. Me personally, my phone doesn't have a camera, but I pretend to take pictures at landscaping sights and roofing jobs. They run like roaches. That may sound a bit on the mean side. But people taking jobs from my capable friends because they will work for dirt do not deserve any respect from me. TURN OFF THE ECONOMIC FAUCET THAT DRAWS THEM--PROBLEM SOLVED. My beef is not with them, but the swill that hires them.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Default question nyranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Great post. It is really sad that illegals are being treated with this much respect. They should be outcasts in the community and not welcome. They are breaking our laws and they think it's their right to be here. I wish I could get a house and use Section 8, but I make too much money. Like you said, nobody helps with our bills when we're behind. The honest, hard working American is getting screwed in the name of diversity and we're getting tired of it.
if I want to just want to comment back to you, what do I hit. theres 3 choices. this thread thing new to me, but I like.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers 2008 View Post
great post. It is really sad that illegals are being treated with this much respect. They should be outcasts in the community and not welcome. They are breaking our laws and they think it's their right to be here. I wish i could get a house and use section 8, but i make too much money. Like you said, nobody helps with our bills when we're behind. The honest, hard working american is getting screwed in the name of diversity and we're getting tired of it.

illegal ailens are not immigrants, they are criminals.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Hang on there Scran, Dan stood up and tried to do things for his community, all he got was a world of retaliation from the Doherty machine...you know not of what you speak...you are not from here , you haven't a clue... My family has generations here, and it has been the same political families taking turns at raping the citizens for several generations.....you wear rose colored glasses..the only true part of your rant is this...." You know what? I haven't been happy in life in quite some time, but I do NOT blame others for my own shortcomings. Heaven forbid Scrantonians learn a thing or two about personal responsibility instead of always "passing the buck." the majority dont vote!!!!!
Exactly. When you stand up for your community and be pro-active, like Dan did and still does, it gets throw in your face by King Chris and his subjects. So when you do actually get up from computer and actually do something instead of complaining, it gets you nowhere anyway here in Scranton. Why bother putting in the effort then if something still doesn't get done?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyinpa View Post
illegal ailens are not immigrants, they are criminals.
And should be treated as such. Nor are they "undocumented" as the politically correct like to put it. Illegals give real "documented" legal immigrants a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania