Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So you judge an entire city based upon your dealings with shady contractors? Believe me, as someone who works with them on a daily basis I can tell you that MOST contractors in NEPA are rude, arrogant, lazy, and have a "holier than thou" mentality even though they are largely uneducated. I have people coming into my workplace DEMANDING discounts because they are contractors. I have them interrupting sales transactions with DIY homeowners because they're "in a hurry." I've heard one too many foul, vulgar obscenities coming out of their mouths to make me have much respect for their profession in general.

Thankfully our family used Advanced Builders out of Pittston Township for our recent MAJOR kitchen renovation project, and we were nothing but impressed and pleased. I know EnyaGirl also had similar success with Frank Carey Construction out of Jenkins Township. Unfortunately finding great, personable, friendly, and reliable contractors like these fine folks is like trying to find a needle in a haystack around these parts. The next person at work who butts in front of another customer and "demands" ANYTHING for being a contractor is going to be politely told where our exit door is.
those contractors you are meeting must be related to the slumlords i'm meeting

Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Can you imagine that....and its not even me..

I hear ya Randy....I have been ringing that bell for some time now.
Now this is only #2 post on this thread that I read so far!! Some how I have a feeling as I go on reading Im going to see something from Navy boy?? And Im sure it will have something to do with hicks!! "trailer trash" And so on... lol

I'll just have to read on and see..

Old 11-12-2008, 03:50 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Now this is only #2 post on this thread that I read so far!! Some how I have a feeling as I go on reading Im going to see something from Navy boy?? And Im sure it will have something to do with hicks!! "trailer trash" And so on... lol

I'll just have to read on and see..

OK all done reading!! I take that back!!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney3697 View Post
In 2002 I bought an old house in the hill and had over 80K to redo it.. after being screwed around by BAD crooked money theiving contractors and their BUDDIES at the CITY INSPECTORS OFFICE ( made downpayment to contractor of 1500 he never came back and all that happened was a 50 fine from the city..contraCTOR #2 DID SOME WORK ...SHODDY took money ALSO NEVER CAME BACK.. was featured on tv section for consumer complaints) and then the inspector, WHO LETS ILLEGALS RIGHT INTO HOUSES WITH NO PROBLEMS( see they have no money to pay him off so he doesn't bother)... gave me such crap and also a creepy close up comment of you haven't learned your lesson yet...(wouldn't let me live in it while working on it for no good reason ( all electric ok water on living space ok) AND HE WOULD NOT GIVE A WRITTEN REASON EITHER AS TO WHY I COULD NOT (basically being a prik cuz I was gonna sue contractor #2 who was his good fishing buddy...after all this I said screw scranton.. and moved!!! told them to keep the house took a loss of over 100K and have moved on.. Leave scRANTON to the Mexicans In fact if I could I buss em in and buy them houses next to Jack Ba@*^n and Ken Sos#$%ski... SO THOSE TWO COULD give them Mexicans lessons on crooked.

This explains it all....you have a personal beef with the city inspector's office. Get you head out of your arse and stop judging an entire city on a couple of city building inspectors.

I see you're into bigotry as well. Are you implying with your last sentence that Mexicans are crooked?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
I tend to agree with her about the office. Her complaints are echoed city wide by people. Our neighborhood had to go thru hell with that office after the flood and THEIR contractors who would charge $1200 to do a panel swap and the electrical inspector went after every resident that didn't use their guys. It ended up in court in some cases. She is right on the money with that. YOU HAVE to use a "scranton licensed contractor" to do work in the city for electrical and plumbing.....If you do not use one of their guys they come after you like there is no tomorrow......There is not a huge selection to choose from either.

By the way a panel with main costs around $90 and the going rate is about$600 for swap. Our neighborhood was gouged by the city inspectors and THEIR contractors in 2004.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I agree that the city government is as corrupt as it gets....actually I think this entire area is a cess pool of political corruption. I don't like her taking a personal beef with a city government office and using it to paint Scranton as South Central LA or something.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
I agree about the whole LA thing, but she is right on the money with the inspectors office, right on the money.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:21 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Maybe not South Central LA, Scranton is more like Jersey City.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Maybe not South Central LA, Scranton is more like Jersey City.
I'll take that as a compliment considering Jersey City is the next Hoboken.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'll take that as a compliment considering Jersey City is the next Hoboken.
That's not saying much for Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania