U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 AM

9 posts, read 19,589 times

Advertisements

The roads are so bad, I actually have two broken motor mounts in my new car. And they try to blame the weather. Not the fact that the brother in law who got the contract just does a bad job. I just watched them strip a road next to the University of Scranton and leave it oilpan scratching uneven in the intrim, pave it last week, then re-stripping it again the next day. The current mayor is the worst I have seen in my 46 years here. I used to be quite proud of Scranton. And it's true. It is now a caterer to illegal hispanics. I say this as a matter of fact. I would do the same if my country was that abusive to it's citizens, however, I don't see why it should even cost me one penny. I know alot of people out of work, because non-patriotic employers pretend that paperwork is in order. As if they don't know the truth.

The mayor of Scranton has created many unecessary jobs for friends, and eliminated positions that are actually needed. Just try to get in touch with public safety. They don't even have an email. I strougly suggest nobody move to Scranton for the sake of the new medical school. Your kids will hate you for it. So will your car. I am a once very proud Scrantonian.

I have never participated in a site like this (threads and such) but noticed many have checked it out. I may now regret being so blunt, but I mean what I say. When I was in the service I used to brag so much about Scranton, half the fleet wanted to move here. I really am ashamed of this area now. No excuse for the way our roads are now. No excuse that housing is unavailable for some persons I know, yet is available for some families I know, through their own admission, are here illegally.

Last edited by randyinpa; 10-10-2008 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: want to be reasonable, not bitter.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,852,546 times
Can you imagine that....and its not even me..

I hear ya Randy....I have been ringing that bell for some time now.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:01 PM

19,087 posts, read 3,944,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyinpa View Post
The roads are so bad, I actually have two broken motor mounts in my new car. And they try to blame the weather. Not the fact that the brother in law who got the contract just does a bad job. I just watched them strip a road next to the University of Scranton and leave it oilpan scratching uneven in the intrim, pave it last week, then re-stripping it again the next day. The current mayor is the worst I have seen in my 46 years here. I used to be quite proud of Scranton. And it's true. It is now a caterer to illegal hispanics. I say this as a matter of fact. I would do the same if my country was that abusive to it's citizens, however, I don't see why it should even cost me one penny. I know alot of people out of work, because non-patriotic employers pretend that paperwork is in order. As if they don't know the truth.

The mayor of Scranton has created many unecessary jobs for friends, and eliminated positions that are actually needed. Just try to get in touch with public safety. They don't even have an email. I strougly suggest nobody move to Scranton for the sake of the new medical school. Your kids will hate you for it. So will your car. I am a once very proud Scrantonian.

I have never participated in a site like this (threads and such) but noticed many have checked it out. I may now regret being so blunt, but I mean what I say. When I was in the service I used to brag so much about Scranton, half the fleet wanted to move here. I really am ashamed of this area now. No excuse for the way our roads are now. No excuse that housing is unavailable for some persons I know, yet is available for some families I know, through their own admission, are here illegally.
Welcome to the anti-Scranton crowd.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:23 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Minneapolis, here I come!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:35 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,118,489 times
Scranton is getting worse by the day, i won't even go in to my issues with it, but if i could get out i would, i would hit the ground running. Someday i hope, sick of it.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:36 PM

1,974 posts, read 3,366,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Minneapolis, here I come!
You'll finally see what a real city looks like.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 PM

1,974 posts, read 3,366,671 times
When I used to drive taxi, I'd drive in both Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. I saw and have been through every part of the city numerous times. From what I've seen, it seemed like an alright city, mediocre at best. I could never understand all the praise and people bragging about it like it was some big city, artsy, culture filled metropolis. I never actually lived in Scranton, but I've spent plenty of time up there, and I have never understood this image that the mayor and cheerleaders try to portray of the city. It's just a run of the mill average rust belt small city, like Wilkes-Barre, and Binghamton and countless others.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:00 PM

469 posts, read 975,458 times
Sounds like it's time to bring in the Border Patrol. My ex-husband is a supervisor in the B.P., but he works in North Dakota.
Thank your politicians for allowing this to happen. They like to look the other way while thousands of illegal aliens cross the border. What gets me so mad is there are so many people without medical insurance, and are denied Medicaid. Yet, the hospitals can get emergency Medicaid approval for all the illegals that go there. Please explain that to me.
Sorry, just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,389,209 times
Randyinpa has said what we have been saying all along, Scranton sucks. It's just the way it is. It's getting worse by the day and I cannot wait to get out of here and be done with this city forever and not look back. It's only a matter of time before I'm gone, along with a lot of other people.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Randyinpa has said what we have been saying all along, Scranton sucks. It's just the way it is. It's getting worse by the day and I cannot wait to get out of here and be done with this city forever and not look back. It's only a matter of time before I'm gone, along with a lot of other people.
Sadly, I'm realizing that I, too, will be joining that list. What is there in Scranton to retain educated 20-somethings interested in launching their careers, raising their families, and having urban amenities available at their fingertips? Very little. I've been here in State College for the past couple of days, and whenever I come out here I'm always so happy. Yesterday I saw a lesbian couple holding hands. If that same couple were to be walking down Main Street in Shenandoah, then I shudder to think what might happen to them. There's every ethnic-oriented restaurant imaginable here. There are independent films here. There is a very strong emphasis placed upon the arts. Diversity is embraced here instead of being feared and admonished as it is in Greater Scranton. I've seen license plates from roughly a dozen different states. People WALK to amenities instead of doing as they do in our area---tear down trees for ugly suburban housing developments and then driving to them in their inefficient SUVs.

I'm tired of waiting for Scranton to evolve into that "hip" city that I've been promised it would become for so many years. Scranton is just as SNL described it: "full of malcontents with no ambition." I've been on the web site for Rediscover Scranton, and they highlight testimonials from the same half-dozen or so Scranton expatriates who returned to the region to raise their families after leaving to pursue professional pursuits. According to Dan half of them are political crony families anyways. My family has no political connections. My leftist ideologies are unwelcome here in an area where the first day of deer season is a "holiday" and where high school football stadiums attract as many spectators on Friday nights as a Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Penguins game. after which every corner bar from "Nannicoke up da Eynon" is teeming with people plopping down $15 per night for alcohol while complaining about how much they are "suffering" due to the current economic downturn we are facing.

Scranton will probably never be what I want it to be---a thriving, cosmopolitan, diverse city with a "hip" downtown surrounded by stable middle-class neighborhoods. Minneapolis has that allure to me. It won't hurt me to see what a REAL city is like---not one whose biggest asset is its proximity to OTHER cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania