Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,446 times

Advertisements

There is a recent report of a man encountering 3 cougar down closer to me - in the Lancastor area. There are no "confirmed" sightings of any cougars/mountain lions in PA for supposedly years and years.

However, an Eastern USA website for reporting sightings say that there have been many - mostly in central and western PA - and some on the Pocono areas.

Anyone ever see any? Or Lynx? Bobcats? I know there are plenty of bears, etc...what what about some other types of unusual wildlife???

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 03:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
There have been reports of bobcats here in The Hideout, Lake Ariel, Pa. My daughter saw one when she was small...outside playing...she told me she saw a big cat with a bushy tail, and one day while looking in her Wildlife Fact Book...she came across a page on the bobcat, and said..."That is the cat I saw behind our house!"

Old 10-11-2008, 06:50 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
I have seen an bobcat in my old neighborhood, it was the coolest sight besides a bear that I have ever witnessed. It actually froze as I drove up my long driveway. We had a couple of bears because my neighbors from NYC thought it was cute to feed them. One day one went into her garage. Go figure.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
We saw a Bobcat last year just about in the Pocono Raceway area. It ran across 115..........
What a strange feeling to see something you just haven't encountered before. I came home and looked it up. It said if you see "one" in 50 years out in the wild........that would be the odds.
So I am not expecting to see anymore.........thats it for me.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
We saw a Bobcat last year just about in the Pocono Raceway area. It ran across 115..........
What a strange feeling to see something you just haven't encountered before. I came home and looked it up. It said if you see "one" in 50 years out in the wild........that would be the odds.
So I am not expecting to see anymore.........thats it for me.
That is so neat! We enjoy hiking and I'm dying to see a bobcat out in the wild . . . I know they are close by but they are very elusive. Did come across a big rattler a few weeks back which was my first up close and personal encounter. . . . many bears which never fail to stop me in my tracks.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,540 times
i live in scott township,near waverly,pa and in the spring of 2002, i was going to run an Arron and driving down rt 347 headed towards rt 6, a young mountain lion ran right out in front of me.i slammed on the brakes,at first i thought it was a dog,but when it jumped onto the pavement it got confused and didn't know witch way to go,so i got a really good look at it.it still had spots on it(i was young),its tail was as long as the cat and had a black tip on it.
i basically grew up hunting.my father would take with him hunting small game since i was 6 yrs old and im 43 now and never missed a hunting season.
i saw bobcats 5 or 6 times deer hunting from a treestand so i know it wasnt a bobcat.

i recently herd that someone got a picture of one on a trail camera a couple weeks ago.
maybe there making a comeback?

Last edited by zigoapex; 01-02-2009 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: mistake spelling

Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I keep a close eye on what is happening with mountain lions and there is still no hard evidence of cougars in PA. There are big house cats out there. My now deceased cat was 48 inches nose to tail and weighed almost 20 pounds.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
I have never seen a bobcat. I spent the holiday in Pittston with my family, where I grew up, and in this very suburban neighborhood there was a bear! That is the first time in the 27 years I have known the neighborhood that anything other than a few turkeys and some deer have found their way in. There is a lot of expansion in the area and no doubt the animal's territory is being encroached upon. My dad's friend was able to capture the below picture last week, just hours before the bear was tranquilized and picked up by the game commission.
Attached Thumbnails
Cougars, bears, lynx...oh my!-jenkins-twp-bear.jpg  

Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 AM

127 posts, read 290,310 times
There is a mountain lion (well this is what they are calling it) running around Glen Lyon (Newport Township). A neighbor did get a picture of it and it appears it is wearing a collar. I know that it has been out in that area for about a year now. Someone said that there were a few released wearing collars but I am not sure if there is any merit to that rumor.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
I have been told that that mountain lions been spotted down by Conashaugh Lakes in Dingman Twp.

I have seen coyotes, foxes, bobcats...and I did once see a HUGE HUGE HUGE black cat one time - it was the size of a mountain lion only it was black. I saw that near Newfoundland/Canadensis. My husband won't believe me but I would go to my grave swearing it was the gospel truth. It was as black as a black labrador; much larger, with a long sleek tail. I will never forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania