Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd post this topic for the people who are sick and tired of the "I love Scranton, I hate Scranton" threads. I for one, think the arena has been nothing but a tremendous blessing for the area. It has provided our region with top notch, world class national musical acts, conventions, and perfomances that we used to have to travel to Philly or NYC to see. It is home to the most successful sports francise in our area, and the building of the arena itself sparked an explosion of retail shopping and restaraunts up by and around the arena in an area that was once a desolute, abondaned, strip mine where people used to dump garbage and thousands of tires. I think the building of the arena was has provided the single biggest "shot in the arm" that the Wyoming Valley has seen in many decades. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
I agree.....The only place to see a show before that was at Wilkes or The Kirby. I have been to a few concerts at the Arena and was impressed by the ease of it and the convience. I think that the area around the arena is a vast improvement as well.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I figured I'd post this topic for the people who are sick and tired of the "I love Scranton, I hate Scranton" threads. I for one, think the arena has been nothing but a tremendous blessing for the area. It has provided our region with top notch, world class national musical acts, conventions, and perfomances that we used to have to travel to Philly or NYC to see. It is home to the most successful sports francise in our area, and the building of the arena itself sparked an explosion of retail shopping and restaraunts up by and around the arena in an area that was once a desolute, abondaned, strip mine where people used to dump garbage and thousands of tires. I think the building of the arena was has provided the single biggest "shot in the arm" that the Wyoming Valley has seen in many decades. What are your thoughts?

wow, i can't believe its 10 already.

I agree it was a great boost for wilkes-barre twp's economy and value. it is the best think to happen in that area for a long time, and i still don't think the full effect has been felt. there is still a lot more potential.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:56 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
20 years later and I think it was a good investment, it keeps the area relevant by being able to have international shows land in the area on occasion. The hockey team does well there every year among other nice events that go in there. Now if they would just put a Trader Joe's or Assi Plaza next to it. I used to love the Assi Plaza down in Lansdale.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:18 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
It's also nice for local sports, like state high school playoffs...and even college graduations. A classy, convenient place to attend many events.

++ for W-B and NEPA ...(Scranton people even go there ).

Old 10-24-2018, 06:46 AM

9 posts, read 8,153 times
Isn't it actually 20 years old now? I remember a Univ. of Scranton graduation there in 2006, so I went back to research a little and it said it was built in 1998.

We have been there a few times - a couple of graduations, the James Taylor/Carole King concert and I can't remember the other shows we saw there. Very nice arena. Parking is easy. We would much rather go there than MSG or NJ PAC.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takun View Post
Isn't it actually 20 years old now? I remember a Univ. of Scranton graduation there in 2006, so I went back to research a little and it said it was built in 1998.

LOL this thread is from 2008, and yes the arena is now 20 years old. The current name is "Mohegan Sun Arena". Who knows what it will be called in 2028 when the thread pops up again?

It's hard to believe some people were against building it when it was first proposed. Many were against it solely because politicians' friends and relatives might make money off of it. As if they couldn't find something else to make money off of!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Lots of people were against it saying that the money should be spent on other badly-needed projects. They hadn't bothered to investigate enough to learn that the money was allotted for "building an arena" and if it wasn't built, the money would go away and not be available for any other projects.

I have never been to the arena although my picture has been there and also on the jumbotron or whatever you call it. Little granddaughter making her first trip to an event there and stood stock still in front of my display and shouted "That's my grandma!"

The arena has certainly been beneficial to the area. I voted "yes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania