U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 PM
 
16 posts, read 26,110 times
Reputation: 12
By the way I LOVE PA! does this mean you are moving OUT of The hideout????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 AM
 
2,931 posts, read 5,460,086 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
:
Whoever you are who responded from East Northport,NY thats where we live now...small world I LOVE PA ~ I was honored you replied, I feel like your a celebrity here, I have been reading your responses and you are amazingly factual and I love it!!!!!!!! I'm sure this won't be the last of my posts since the house were looking at needs some work, so If it works out I may need help with contractors and such!! Thanks again, Frostbit
Hi. It is a small world. We live in East Northport and maintain a second home in The Hideout. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you. BTW - The Hideout is a great place. I think you will love it. Once we retire we plan to sell our LI home and move there full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Bridgeville,Pa
4,177 posts, read 6,957,303 times
Reputation: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Hi. It is a small world. We live in East Northport and maintain a second home in The Hideout. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you. BTW - The Hideout is a great place. I think you will love it. Once we retire we plan to sell our LI home and move there full time.

Tom ; thats our plan also. But we will be across at WLE. It is so pretty in NEPA.

dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
Reputation: 10959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
By the way I LOVE PA! does this mean you are moving OUT of The hideout????
She's been thinking of moving a bit closer to "town" if I'm not mistaken. I think Dunmore was on her radar. Speaking from experience I can say nothing but positive things about The Hideout as well, regardless of the "sketchy" reputation some have spouted off about it. My partner's father's girlfriend works inside the community. He lives just south of Hamlin in Sterling Township, and that area is truly "God's country," if you catch my drift. I was driving along Cemetery Road about a half-mile past Hamlin Corners en route to his home one day recently when I had to stop to watch as an entire family of deer crossed in front of me. They stopped and stared right at me for a while too (if only I had my camera!)

Hamlin has a lot of day-to-day conveniences to service The Hideout (Mr. Z's Supermarket, Weis Market, Kundla's Char-Pit Barbecue, John's Restaurant, KFC, gas stations, banks, pharmacies, etc.) Honesdale is home to Wal-Mart, Home Depot, KMart, Pizza Hut, and a few other chains. More of the "big city" stores can be found in the Scranton area (Borders, Lowe's, Gander Mountain, Best Buy, Chico's, Talbot's, Ann Taylor Loft, Christmas Tree Store, Macy's, Boscov's, Wegman's, etc.)

My only downside about Hamlin is the traffic. I don't know if I just keep on hitting it at bad times or what, but it can often take at least several minutes for me to turn left from Cemetery Road onto Route 590 near the Shell station due to the congestion when I happen to pass through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 AM
 
87 posts, read 160,173 times
Reputation: 78
I live in Lake Ariel, the area is growing.. not sure if it is a good thing or bad. I am bias because I would rather less hussle and more of a quiet area, but I live in an area that I don't see many people around my home .. so I just choose my times to shop and go out, beat the traffic.

The area is great for sports, outdoors.. fishing. There are tons of hunting lands around too. Deer season is upon us now and small game, turkey. Allot to hunt for if your into that. The season will carry right into December. If you have kids, they could enjoy the woods too.

I have noticed allot more people with attitude coming into the area, not sure they really understand what country living really is. But they get schooled soon enough on how to behave.

Good luck in the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
 
2,931 posts, read 5,460,086 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
My only downside about Hamlin is the traffic. I don't know if I just keep on hitting it at bad times or what, but it can often take at least several minutes for me to turn left from Cemetery Road onto Route 590 near the Shell station due to the congestion when I happen to pass through.
That is so funny! Being from Long Island where traffic is always a nightmare, my wife and I actually joke about the "traffic jams" in Hamlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
 
Location: The Poconos
910 posts, read 1,966,382 times
Reputation: 224
I agree with Tom. When we moved here 10 years ago I remember sitting in the car laughing out loud because they were doing roadwork near Hamlin and had a big sign up that said 'expect delays'. We were the only car waiting! SW I think you may just be hitting it at the wrong time of day or seasonally. Otherwise it's really fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Wilmington NC. (Ogden)
1,225 posts, read 2,277,327 times
Reputation: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I honestly don't know...I do know the family that owns a large number of rentals, and they do have them rented out for most of the summer and then the holiday weeks during the year. If you don't mind renting...it could pay your mortgage for when you want to use your home.

thanks for the response. we have about 18 months until we start trying to make these dreams real. its good to know we may be able to make the house pay for it self while we travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
 
2,835 posts, read 7,138,410 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
That is so funny! Being from Long Island where traffic is always a nightmare, my wife and I actually joke about the "traffic jams" in Hamlin.

If you are from Long Island you will definitely get a HUGE LAUGH on what they consider traffic in Hamlin. HUGE......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM
 
3,756 posts, read 5,669,210 times
Reputation: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_in_nepa View Post
I live in Lake Ariel, the area is growing.. not sure if it is a good thing or bad. I am bias because I would rather less hussle and more of a quiet area, but I live in an area that I don't see many people around my home .. so I just choose my times to shop and go out, beat the traffic.

The area is great for sports, outdoors.. fishing. There are tons of hunting lands around too. Deer season is upon us now and small game, turkey. Allot to hunt for if your into that. The season will carry right into December. If you have kids, they could enjoy the woods too.

I have noticed allot more people with attitude coming into the area, not sure they really understand what country living really is. But they get schooled soon enough on how to behave.

Good luck in the search.
I agree with the attitude coming in with some. I can recall a time 6 years ago when one of the residents from the city started to demand, "johnny pumps and street lights".

I love the quietness of certain parts of the area. It's great to be around people but also wonderful to retreat into the peacefulness of your own home. The only noise I like hearing at night is the sounds of wildlife in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top