U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,371,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I LOVE PA ~ I was honored you replied, I feel like your a celebrity here, I have been reading your responses and you are amazingly factual and I love it!!!!!!!! I'm sure this won't be the last of my posts since the house were looking at needs some work, so If it works out I may need help with contractors and such!! Thanks again, Frostbit
Toooo funny Forstbit! I'd be hapy to answer any questions you have. Yes...as Paul has said...in addition to needing to make an apartment in my home for my Mom (no room in The Hideout house) I would also like to be about 15 miles down the road. I was thinking of Dunmore or Clarks Summit but my hubbie wants to live in 'the country' so we have decided on Mt. Cobb...if I ever sell my house! Both my girls go to school in Scranton so it is quite a hike for them and costly.

sure you don't want to buy my house????? No work needed...only 4 years old! I could send you the link.....my Mama needs me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 PM

16 posts, read 27,179 times
My husband and I are very laid back people so you don't have to worry about attitudes, thats why we are looking for a vacation home to escape from those types LOL

Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 PM

16 posts, read 27,179 times
I already checked it out little out of our price range . It looks beautiful. Waiting to hear back from real estate agent on the one house we really liked to see if they accepted our offer!!!! You have all helped in our search. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,371,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
I already checked it out little out of our price range . It looks beautiful. Waiting to hear back from real estate agent on the one house we really liked to see if they accepted our offer!!!! You have all helped in our search. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know!
Good Luck to you...I'm sure the owners will be thrilled that they have sold. If it doesn't work out...my Mom's house will soon be up for sale...lower price range if you are interested.... (can you tell my desperation to get my Mom with me!)

Attitudes...you will be fine here in The Hideout...I think this area has some of the most friendliest people on earth. Even a few locals I know have moved in and have now become cheerleaders for The Hideout also....they were born and raised with a different impression but now that they live here...they sing the praises, love all the people they have met and are very happy here.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,574 times
[SIZE=2]As of today, according to the Pike/Wayne Board of Realtors there are only 170 for sale in the Hideout out of 3,000+. That's not bad considering the bad economy.[/SIZE] Check out www.hideouthomes.com and look at the listing page for all Hideout listings.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Last edited by Hideoutman; 04-07-2009 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Additional info.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM

366 posts, read 673,272 times
I am also from Long Island (East Meadow) and moving up to Masthope in the next year. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:36 PM

123 posts, read 210,016 times
Frostbit-
We live in Oyster Bay, LI. We went through the vacation house hunting in 2007. I started looking in Upstate NY and then wound up buying in the Poconos.
Doing my research, I knew my family would only be happy in a community and not just a house in the country. The choices in NY were extremely limited, maybe 2 communities. The NY homes were priced close to 100k more than a similar house in the poconos. We looked several times at Sleepy Hollow lake in Athens/Cairo, NY. It didn't quite have that community feeling. There were also a lot of full time residents, as opposed to weekenders. You will discover that there is little chill towards weekenders from fulltimers. That ride was over 2.5 hrs without traffic.
Our ride to our home in Big Bass Lake is 2 hrs without traffic. We love BBL and I have also heard great things about the Hideout. The Hideout is huge which is good and bad. Nice amenities.
I would look at a few communities, zero in on the one you like, and then shop for your house. Good Luck,
-Patrick

Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 AM

4,250 posts, read 300,783 times
When we looked also ; we decided that we wanted a community as there would be more to do for our boys. Gosh, we also looked upstate about 9 years ago ; 25 acres etc. But really, it just wasnt to be. So we took out time ; looked on and off for years in different parts of PA.

Settled on WLE. The reason ; the community is nice, safe, lots to do and still rural enough that we are in the country but surrounded by people. We all just love it.

d

Old 04-10-2009, 03:15 PM

3,756 posts, read 5,915,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
When we looked also ; we decided that we wanted a community as there would be more to do for our boys. Gosh, we also looked upstate about 9 years ago ; 25 acres etc. But really, it just wasnt to be. So we took out time ; looked on and off for years in different parts of PA.

Settled on WLE. The reason ; the community is nice, safe, lots to do and still rural enough that we are in the country but surrounded by people. We all just love it.

d

dorothy is correct, you can not beat WLE. One of the best places in the area.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
Thank you all so much for the quick replys! I'm so happy with all of my answered questions. The reason that I know there are numerous homes in the hideout was my real estate person showed them to us. Not so say that it was a bad thing I was just curious. My mind was definitely put at ease with all of the responses. Honesdale is where the closest home depot and stores are right?
Whoever you are who responded from East Northport,NY thats where we live now...small world I LOVE PA ~ I was honored you replied, I feel like your a celebrity here, I have been reading your responses and you are amazingly factual and I love it!!!!!!!! I'm sure this won't be the last of my posts since the house were looking at needs some work, so If it works out I may need help with contractors and such!! Thanks again, Frostbit
I have a house in the Hideout for about 4 years and I love it. I search the real estate website often and there are always between 160 and 200 houses for sale. When I bought there were 168 listed on the website and now it's about 194 so it hasn't gone up much. Considering the economy I don't think 194 is bad at all. While the value of the houses hasn't gone up much in the past two years, and I don't think that's true of most other areas. You can't beat the amenities here...I searched far and wide before I bought in here. The fact that you can put a motorboat in the lake (only one of three in the Poconos) was my deciding factor (even though I STILL don't have a boat!)

There is a campground that is part of the hideout, it's called Laurel something or other...check to see if you can park your RV there.

Good luck in your search!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania