Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 PM

246 posts, read 1,246,319 times

Advertisements

Any and all information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 05:54 PM

15 posts, read 75,849 times
Thumbs down pocono's

I moved out of the poconos 2 years ago after being there 13 years. It is Bad bad bad. Crime invested. triple the population. drive by shootings. at least a shooting a day. rapes gangs Just call it NY. I left new york to move to the poconos and it was beautiful and peaceful for a while. Dont Go There find something else. If you want proof go to www.poconorecord.com

Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 PM

7,910 posts, read 9,113,594 times
Eastern Poconos has undergone some undesirable changes. For a feel for the area, check out www.poconocommuter.com

Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 PM

Thank you both very much, this will help me a lot!! =D

Old 06-10-2006, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,314 times
Vegas Girl: I don't agree with the other comments at all. Just like any area, in the lower income regions along interstate highways (esp. I-80) transients prevail and crime is higher. I live in the northern Poconos near Milford, PA. From Milford heading west to Lake Wallenpaupack, it is a beautiful, tranquil wilderness area with quaint little towns that don't tolerate criminals. People can leave their doors unlocked. Crime is non-existent where I live (15 years; NO problems! Well, the ex did throw a dish or two ;oP). It snows quite a bit here, but it's beautiful...I can be in town in 7.5 minutes for food shopping, 30 minutes to the larger malls, and 2.5 hours to NYC or Philla. I went to PSU and passed through the other, larger towns you mentioned and I have to say the quality of life here is MUCH better. May my $0.02 help balance the coin in your decision-making process!

Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 PM

Thank you boywondr!!

Ok, so I will look more into the Milford area of the Poconos....would you happen to know what the employment situation is like??, I guess where the majority of the people commute to work. Thanks again!!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,565,184 times
vegas grl,
I agree with boywondr! We are moving up to the Wayne/Pike county area.
We were up three weeks ago and it is beautiful and not like the "OTHER" part of the Poconos. Remember, the Pocono Mountains is not just one area.
STAY AWAY FROM RT. 80....the Stoudsburg area, which is about an hour or more from Wayne/Pike County, which, btw Milford is in I believe Pike county.
All the people from the lower income areas are moving to MONROE COUNTY.
They hop on Rt. 80 and go into NYC to work...

Old 07-21-2006, 07:55 PM

36 posts, read 112,735 times
Default Not That Bad, Really

Its not quite as bad as I'm reading here. There has been an increase in crime in proportion to the population increase. People seem to think that everyone moving here are criminals, but most of them are hard working people just like everyone else trying to find a better life for their families.

Gangs have been in Wilkes-Barre and the Lehigh Valley for years, and yes they are trying to move into the Poconos, and the police are trying to deal with it before it gets worse. The biggest problem is that people downplay the truth about crime and gangs because it is bad for business, and for tourism, but you need to partner with the police in fighting it. If we all close our eyes it will only get worse, and when it reaches the point where it cannot be hidden anymore, it will be too late.

Anyhow, yes there have been some problems, and it will spread into Northern Pike as more people move there. Statistically speaking, you should expect a certain amount of crime as population rises. Drugs, gangs, and crime are everywhere. Anyone who tells you differently is only fooling themselves.

The Poconos are still beautiful, though all the development threatens that as well. The biggest problem is certainly not crime, but the increasing population without corresponding upkeep of the infrastructure. Traffic can bring main roads to a standstill on weekends, and that is something no one seems to be addressing. Yet more development continues to be permitted.

Oh, and the majority of people work in various parts of NJ, and even NY state. Not as many actually commute all the way into NYC.

The best thing to do is come out and spend a few weekends here, stay in different parts, drive around, and get a feel for yourself. If you move, rent and do not buy a house for a year. That gives you time to look around and find the best place you want to live, or to change your mind and leave. Home ownership makes that a lot harder to do. Trust me, its worth it - the inconvenience of moving twice is nothing compared to being stuck in a place you don't want to be.

Best of luck to you, if you want to visit our forums we have many people who live in the Poconos who can give you the very wide range of opinions. Take care, and good luck.

Wayne Meyers
President, Pocono Commuter, Inc.
link removed (advertising is not allowed on this forum)

Last edited by Yac; 07-24-2006 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-21-2006, 08:05 PM

7,910 posts, read 9,113,594 times
Wayne, I go to your commuter site daily as a "lurker". Eventhough I don't want to move to the Poconos at this time, I enjoy visiting it and staying "in touch" with the area via your forums.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:40 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,565,184 times
Hey Wayne, I just logged on to your site and I think it will be very helpful when we sell our home in SW Florida. We want to move to Northern Wayne County or maybe Susquehanna County. Does your site cover these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania