Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM

16 posts, read 44,598 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

Things are moving along and we just signed a conract to buy the house we were looking at in The Hideout. If everything works out we should have our vacation home by Christmas !!! Anyway we went back to see the house again this weekend and to drive around the hideout without our real estate agent. We go a little lost a couple of times but eventually found our way. We also went to honesdale to see how close/far it was for us. Especially Home Depot for the work we need to do. A couple of questions again~ We couldn't find Lowe's. Don't know where it is? Some suggestions to some restaurants in town would be great. Also if you move into the hideout and need work done do they allow contractors in or do you need to meet them at the entrance? Didn't see any furniture stores around does that mean a trip to Scranton? I am so excited I can barely stand it. Standing in the backyard you could hear a pin drop...that is so awesome!!! This is all pending we are approved by The hideout association! (I HOPE)! Thanks so much! Frostbit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
Hey Everyone!

Things are moving along and we just signed a conract to buy the house we were looking at in The Hideout. If everything works out we should have our vacation home by Christmas !!! Anyway we went back to see the house again this weekend and to drive around the hideout without our real estate agent. We go a little lost a couple of times but eventually found our way. We also went to honesdale to see how close/far it was for us. Especially Home Depot for the work we need to do. A couple of questions again~ We couldn't find Lowe's. Don't know where it is? Some suggestions to some restaurants in town would be great. Also if you move into the hideout and need work done do they allow contractors in or do you need to meet them at the entrance? Didn't see any furniture stores around does that mean a trip to Scranton? I am so excited I can barely stand it. Standing in the backyard you could hear a pin drop...that is so awesome!!! This is all pending we are approved by The hideout association! (I HOPE)! Thanks so much! Frostbit
Hello there Frostbit!

Welcome to The Hideout. Several of our members, including roxxy and I LOVE PA also live in that community, so you're in good company.

There is no Lowe's in Honesdale. The nearest Lowe's would be in Scranton, about a 30-minute drive north of your new home. To get there you would want to take Route 590 West from Hamlin Corners and then take the right at the split onto Route 348 West towards Mt. Cobb. While on Route 348 you'll pass by Butler's Furniture (they have a cool yellow VW bug in the parking lot), which you may want to scope out before hitting up Scranton for furniture stores. Eventually Route 348 will dump you right onto the split to get onto I-380 North towards Scranton. You'd then take I-81 North for a few exits and get off at the Main Avenue exit. Go straight at the ramp, go up the hill ahead of you onto Viewmont Drive, and then turn left into the Lowe's parking lot near the top of the hill.

For some good pizza I would recommend Elegante in Downtown Honesdale to you. That's where my better half and I enjoyed our first date, and we've been back there several times since. I also like Kay's along Route 191 in Lake Ariel for some casual country dining. I had a bad experience with John's Restaurant along Route 590 near Hamlin Corners, but others have had good experiences, so it's worth giving that place a shot as well. Kundla's is a local legend for great open-pit barbecuing. I think The Hideout itself also has a very good restaurant. Most of your chains (Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Applebee's, Red Robin, Starbucks, etc.) are up in the Scranton area.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 PM

248 posts, read 798,233 times
dont know the area at all, but just wanted to congrat you on your awesome new house!!! YAH - how exciting!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:32 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,760 times
Welcome to Nepa!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,289 times
Well to start, my husband and I are only living here 2 1/2 months so I will give you as much info as I can.

Restaurants: We have a restaurant right in the hideout on the North side. There is also a bar. As far as other restaurants we have eaten in a few and there isnt any I would highly reccommend.

Lowes: Its located in Dickson City, there is also a home depot, target, walmart, macys, jc penney a mall and many other stores. Its before Scranton.

There is a furniture store on 590 called Butlers. They are offering a discount for the month of October to Hideout residents. They are located straight down 590 and there is a fork in the road stay to the right. They are located about 2 miles from the fork on the right.

good luck with your new home!!

Roxy

Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 PM

16 posts, read 44,598 times
I guess noone got my joke about being approved by The Hideout Association !!LOL Our lawyer on Long Island didn't understand what that was all about in the purchase agreement. We had to clue him in. Thanks for all of the well wishes and answers!! Frostbit

Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
Frostbite
Good luck and congrats. We bought in WLE in March and absolutely love it. Not just WLE, but the whole entire area.

I found the people so nice, and easy to get along with.

I am also from Long Island.

d

Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
You might also want to check out Blum's Furniture on Rt 6 in Honesdale.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,805 times
Frostbit...WELCOME!! You will love The Hideout! That's if they 'approve' you!! LOL

Ok...soon you will be knowing your way around here with your eyes closed. It's real easy.

I find that most of my shopping is done in the Dickson City/Scranton area, but if you need frequent trips to Home Depot...well the one in Honesdale is much closer. Take a peak into Shaffers Hardware, a little past the McDonalds in Hamin, right past the split on the right going toward Scranton...they have a large selection of 'stuff'...not just hardware. It beats a trip to either town. They are not open on Sundays though. There is also an Agway right in Lake Ariel, as well as Lake Ariel hardware...sometimes paying a pinch more is worth saving yourself the ride. I also love to support the locals!

Contractors....just about every contractor has their own contractor sticker...don't worry about them getting in. And you never have to meet anyone at the gate, you just call Security and give them the name and your lot # and your PIN #. You will set up the PIN upon closing. Contractors do have certain hours that they are allowed to work. Nothing after 6pm and nothing on holidays and possibly Sundays as well. Not sure on the Sundays.
Are you in the North or South Section?
Kids?

Oh...ask away!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania