U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:55 AM

390 posts, read 1,040,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Getting ready to do a bathroom remodel, in a 1920's house, so nothing is 'standard.' As such, I need a tub that's an odd size, 56 inches long and a max of 28" wide (it's 28 inches wide in the middle, but the ends neck down to 26"). It's not a fiberglass unit, must be porecelin coated cast iron? I'm sure Kohler has something, but I'm not looking to break the bank or order one from Sweden. A friend suggested looking who the modular home companies deal with. Thoughts? The shower surround needs to be tile due to an oddly placed window.
We had the exact dilemma you did but we found a solution. It may be a bit more expensive but we hired "Bath Fitters" to do ours.

It was actually done in one day and they have a tremendous number of options to choose from. It saved us a lot of headaches and after 10 years, it still looks great and is very easy to maintain. In your area, I notice there is a competing company called Re-Bath. With the competition between the two, you may be able to negotiate a decent price with one of them.

They will be able to work with your window so you won't have to use tile.

It may be a viable option for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,251,217 times
Couple things. One would be the mobile home shower units. While they are smaller, from what I've read 99% of them are made from ABS plastic, and will most likely not endure the rigors of home use as long as fiberglass or other materials will. Most are also often quite a bit shorter than the standard 60" tub.

As for ReBath/Bath Fitters, I'm sure they do a good job, but I have talked to a number of people and I didn't hear a single estimate under $3500. Wayyyyy too expensive for me.

We're trying to find the best price on a clawfoot at the moment, that seems to be the way we are leaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

I'll go out on a limb here and be a nice guy.....I have a 1 ton pick-up and or a Tahoe and my neighbor has a flatbed trailer...You find it close and pay for the diesel/gas and I'll offer my truck and the trailer to help you out. I know whats involved with redoing the old homes, I'm on my second one and haven't even gotten to the kitchen nor bathroom because of the flood repairs.

You find it and I'll get it home for ya..
You better watch, I might just take you up on the offer. Haha.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:10 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,683,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
You better watch, I might just take you up on the offer. Haha.
You need it and I'll help ya out, no joke. I have been there done that with the houses. Just DM me...

Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 AM

13,315 posts, read 13,531,987 times
[quote=scrantonluna;6074639]Couple things. One would be the mobile home shower units. While they are smaller, from what I've read 99% of them are made from ABS plastic, and will most likely not endure the rigors of home use as long as fiberglass or other materials will. Most are also often quite a bit shorter than the standard 60" tub.

Actually the Gilbert Glass ( mobile home parts) has a "tub" not a shower.
It was short and most likely light. But, reading how heavy the clawfoots are.....I'd be checking out the tub IMO...

Old 11-09-2008, 01:05 PM

910 posts, read 1,985,578 times
I would check Green Demolitions in Honesdale, it's a great place! Very inexpensive, surplus/discontinued or gently used items from homes that have been remodeled/renovated/etc. They have one or two of an item and they go quick!

Last edited by poconosmama; 11-09-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: wrong site address

Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll try them and the other listings I found tomorrow morning. Weluv, might want to pick up a box a Wheaties if you're out...

Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 PM

12 posts, read 40,545 times
They may be able to refinish but get it done by someone with lots of experience and refferances. I don't have a smaller claw foot now but they are out there still to be found. Another option is a shower in the same space this can be done in most cases in one day. Also a walk in tub I have access to one 26x42 and 26x48 and 26x52 these can all be used as a shower as well If I can help drop me and e-mail or visit my web site Welcome while there also look at solid surface shower options. Good luck with your project.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM

149 posts, read 336,924 times
Try calling FJ Hess & Sons.....570-839-1300...ask for Bernie, tell him what you are looking for & he will price it out for you, installed or just delivered to you doorstep. His experience in invaluable.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM

I didn't know this popped back up or I would have posted sooner. I was able to resolve the problem, and in the end went with an acrylic claw foot tub. While this was a wider solution that what I had hoped for, it allowed me to get rid of a partition wall and make the room larger in other ways. Thanks for all the help

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania