Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I'm not a debbie downer....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Well you know what...I figured that since I had to run downtown to drop something off I would walk around to see what I am supposedly missing.....

I parked on N.Washington right in front of a empty store front (laces) by Subway. Walked upto city hall then walked Linden upto Mertz and back down Spruce to Adams and around the square.......

ITS A GHOST TOWN. The only people that I saw that were not in business attire were teenagers waking thru on their way home from school. The front of the mall was the usual Friendship House drop off point and well once 4pm hit there was no one even walking around..

The mall...Steve and Barry's is going under and will be gone...Another store out of the mall....They are looking a tenant.....Oh I can only imagine what they will fill that space with....

There were no throngs of shoppers, there were no people walking around with shopping bags or anything for that matter because there were no people.

Yep thats it, its me...I'm the debbie downer...

Maybe its my posts on here that are keeping them away from the bustling downtown or maybe, just maybe, there is no bustling downtown....

I wonder which one it could be.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:10 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
There were no throngs of shoppers, there were no people walking around with shopping bags or anything for that matter because there were no people.

Yep thats it, its me...I'm the debbie downer...

Maybe its my posts on here that are keeping them away from the bustling downtown or maybe, just maybe, there is no bustling downtown....

I wonder which one it could be.
Couldn't possibly be the fact that it was a cold and dreary Thursday afternoon, or that it's a week before Black Friday, or that it's the day before what many people with jobs know as "payday."

Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM

15 posts, read 27,881 times
Why didn't you stop in here and check out Eden?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM

did you ever come downtown on a 1st Friday? lots and lots of people come out for that and walk around. I know Scranton has a ways to go, but at least I'm doing my part : )

Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
There is no way that Scranton could ever look vibrant. This is all propaganda started by Doherty and the rag newspaper that Scranton is back on track and everything is OK. I guess a lot of people have a hard time facing reality.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBeing View Post
you should try it- you'll be surprised and also the owner loves the phillies too- you guys can bond over a vegen meatball sub
You have got to be kidding. A vegan meatball sub? That must taste like utter garbage. I'll take my meatball sub with real meat, thank you. These specialty shoppes really can't make it here. Not enough people interested.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:25 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Oh the voice of reason is here to save the day.....Is that what happens on Fridays...Payday wow thanks for the input.....So then we should only expect the financial windfall of Scranton shopping to be every other friday and never before black friday?

I bet the Shoppes @ Montage and Commerce blvd are busy right now...I bet ya that the Viewmont mall is bust right now....I bet ya that every store in area around the Viewmont is busy RIGHT NOW.....

I'll bet ya that the downtown looks the day after a nuclear holocaust, RIGHT NOW.

I'll bet ya that half if not three quarters of the stores in the downtown are closed RIGHT NOW.

OK so Saturday is the day after payday and the city isn't even busy enough to say that its on life support....Saturday makes today look busy.....

Saturday makes 3am on wednesday look busy.

What are you a froude of the reality of it.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You have got to be kidding. A vegan meatball sub? That must taste like utter garbage. I'll take my meatball sub with real meat, thank you. These specialty shoppes really can't make it here. Not enough people interested.
why not try it? I don't get. The blt is great!! I'm not Vegan, and I'm telling you- its good : )

Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default I agree....

"I do hope Bloomberg survives the legal hurdles and gets another term, though...."

He seems to do a good job, AND doesn't take a salary! Perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania