U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 18,541 times

Advertisements

Anyone have numbers of anyone who does this type of work?

I got quotes from several people, but I am looking for a cheaper rate.

I have a mobile home I need demolished near Honesdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 34,514 times
Default Mobile Home

Call this guy, he did a job for me over the summer.

Charged me around $2000, but it was a 50+ foot trailer with a small addition.
There really is more work than it seems tearing down a mobile home.

His name is James.
(607) 287-5084

Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 PM

149 posts, read 342,915 times
How much were you quoted, I have demolished a few buildings....it is not too difficult. Disconnect water, sewer, & power. Get a permit, call an excavator & get a dumpster. Any asbestos in the trailer??? DM me for additional info or advice.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:55 PM

2,236 posts, read 3,136,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emf607 View Post
Anyone have numbers of anyone who does this type of work?

I got quotes from several people, but I am looking for a cheaper rate.

I have a mobile home I need demolished near Honesdale.
Try selling it on Craigslist. Instead of losing money you may make some.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,387 times
I know the original poster has long taken care of the problem but would like to add some relevant info.I would like to give a few tips to anyone who is looking to have a manufactured/mobile home demolished.

Cost to have a mobile home demolished. The national average to have a mobile home demolished is $3.50 per square foot. So a 12x52 home should be around $2,184. This price will be affected by several things. Shingle roofs will add to the price because of extra labor, and weight for disposal. The same goes if the home is full of belongings.

Hire a contractor insured for demolition.Along with finding an insured contractor make sure that he/she is currently insured and is insured to do demolition work. Insurance for demolition is costly and if the contractor has an accident and is not properly covered you will be left with the bill. You have the right to ask the contractor for an insurance certificate listing you as the certificate holder. This is issued directly from the insurance company and will not be a problem from a properly insured contractor.

The average home takes less than two 40yd dumpsters and weighs in around 12tons with a total disposal cost of around $1,300. Specify who will be paying for the dumpsters or disposal. If you get a price from a contractor and they tell you that you have to pay for the dumpsters have them clarify how many dumpsters will be used and what the approximate cost will be. Make sure to add that cost to their estimate for the total cost of the demolition. In this area dumpsters average $600 and if they are not loaded correctly you can use up to four 40yd dumpsters for one mobile home, that is $2,400 in just dumpster rental fees.

The average recycled metal value "scrap" of a 12x60 mobile home is $625. I have receipts and records for proof. I have had many people want me to pay them, for me to take the home down thinking there is several thousand dollars worth of metal on a mobile home. Unfortunately this is not the case, so I would be wary of anyone who says they will tear it down for the "scrap". If they are willing to tear a home down for that price either they do not know what they are doing or as has happened, they take the scrap and leave the mess, never to return.

Permits are almost always required. Even though I am still questioning the reasoning, almost every zoned township requires permits to demolish a mobile home. With permits ranging from free to $250 and more, make sure to discuss who is getting the permits and if they are included in the price.

Cleanliness of the completed site. Make sure to discuss how clean you want the property when the job is complete. I no longer use large machinery for demolition of mobile homes because the mess left behind is unacceptable for my standards. The machinery has a way of grinding debris into the ground and leaving behind a rutty mess.

I do advise against homeowners attempting to demolish homes themselves. It is a dangerous job as best left to the professionals.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-24-2013 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: removed self advertising, which is not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania