Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
So then you agree that we should all have the right buy tanks, surface-to-air missiles, and machine guns?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
No, but I don't agree with limiting or restricting our constitutional rights either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:00 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Have you ever been to the Middle East? Have you ever been to a muslim country as an American? If not then your comment about hugs vs hurt is off base and the same as someone that includes them all in one group....

And yes for the record I have lived in Israel and traveled in Egypt and Jordan...
Not that it helps to engage you when you're trying to dismiss other people's opinions, but since this is an important point to me, I'll indulge myself...I have been to the middle east...and I have a number of close friends who grew up in the middle east. I have also been to many other countries in the world, as you have, which I know from you telling us about all the time, and my experience has always been that no matter where I am, people are kind, generous, and open-hearted. In my experience, I have not felt threatened or hated anywhere I have traveled in the world including the middle east, south america, europe, or africa.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Not that it helps to engage you when you're trying to dismiss other people's opinions, but since this is an important point to me, I'll indulge myself...I have been to the middle east...and I have a number of close friends who grew up in the middle east. I have also been to many other countries in the world, as you have, which I know from you telling us about all the time, and my experience has always been that no matter where I am, people are kind, generous, and open-hearted. In my experience, I have not felt threatened or hated anywhere I have traveled in the world including the middle east, south america, europe, or africa.
I have never been to France, but I have heard from numerous people, including Dan, that they hate us and view us as "the ugly American". And I don't believe people in the Middle East care for us either or our Western ways. I'm not saying it's fact, just my feeling.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
No, but I don't agree with limiting or restricting our constitutional rights either.
How is not being able to buy a tank/missile/nuke not a limit on the right to bear arms?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
How is not being able to buy a tank/missile/nuke not a limit on the right to bear arms?
Come on, you know it's not realistic to buy a tank or a missile. That wasn't the point. It was about restricting our rights and freedoms, which I feel that Obama will do.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:57 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I guess that I did not recieve the same hugs that you did while I was in the Middle East in 2000........Neither did the USS Cole. I wasn't dismissing your opinion but find it based on my experiences in the middle east to not be true.......You obviously had a different experience then I did thats for sure..

Last edited by weluvpa; 11-06-2008 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
I have never been to France, but I have heard from numerous people, including Dan, that they hate us and view us as "the ugly American". And I don't believe people in the Middle East care for us either or our Western ways. I'm not saying it's fact, just my feeling.
Yet I know of a lotta people who have been to France & 1 that lives in France, & yes, in Paris there is some anti-American feelings (why I don't know), but in the countryside & other cities (which is 9/10 of the country of France) the people are friendly & pro-American.

Again, we can't paint with a broad brush & judge countless people & their lives by the feelings of a few in the process!! That seems to be what is happening with the Muslim community.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
So then you agree that we should all have the right buy tanks, surface-to-air missiles, and machine guns?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
We actually have the right to buy a tank and you can purchase one from surplus collectors or gov't repair and parts facilities. I think the main battery gun has to be spiked though. I'm not sure about missiles.

Machine guns again are legally able to be purchased in this country in full auto but you have to wait about 3 months, pay $250 to the feds plus the cost of the gun (not cheap). Go thru extensive background check and I think a brief psych examine but you can buy it... You can also purchase silencers for handguns or rifles if you a have a need for one.

So its not we should be able to buy them, but that WE CAN BUY THEM.......And that is exactly what I want to protect.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
We actually have the right to buy a tank and you can purchase one from surplus collectors or gov't repair and parts facilities. I think the main battery gun has to be spiked though. I'm not sure about missiles.
So you can't get a tank ready for combat. That's a limit on your right to bear arms.

Edit: so the question is: do you think that people should be able to purchase any and all forms of arms, or do you agree in some limits on the right to bear arms? It's one or the other, and you previously said you're against *all* limits to these rights.

Last edited by blip; 11-06-2008 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-06-2008, 06:13 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
I have never been to France, but I have heard from numerous people, including Dan, that they hate us and view us as "the ugly American".
A true story to highlight the "ugly American" quote...

One of the times I was in Barbados with the band we were sitting down to eat at a fancy restaurant on the beach. At the table next to us was 4 people, obviously a husband/wife & their 2 teenage children.

We shared the same waitress who was a teenaged girl & very soft-spoken & nice & polite.

She brought the other table's food & all I heard was the husband scream out "I didn't order this sh*t you stupid ni**er"!!

The waitress was in tears & I jumped up immediately & tore into the idiot!! The manager came over & they were thrown out!!

If scenes like this one happen overseas & the stories told by people like this waitress are "broad-painted" by those that hear & re-tell the story, can you see how the view of "the ugly American" perpetuates? Like us believing that ALL of the French are anti-American...

Unfortunately it's a 2-way street.

Last edited by Jungle George; 11-06-2008 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania