U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,670 times

Advertisements

I purchased 2 dozen potato cheese pierogie for Christmas Eve. They were absolutely the worst homemade pierogies I ever had. The potatoes turned black when fried and looked terrible. They were a total waste of 11 dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 PM

915 posts, read 2,098,545 times
Okay, I guess I'll have to have a pierogi making lesson -- take a number !!!
You would be surprised at how easy they are to make, I have the old recipe and technique !!
Good thing to do on a snowy Saturday afternoon !!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,408,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaoffive View Post
I purchased 2 dozen potato cheese pierogie for Christmas Eve. They were absolutely the worst homemade pierogies I ever had. The potatoes turned black when fried and looked terrible. They were a total waste of 11 dollars.
WOW!! I can't believe you got a bad batch!! The ones I got were like Heaven on Earth!!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
WOW!! I can't believe you got a bad batch!! The ones I got were like Heaven on Earth!!
Hate to bring up an older post but
WOW I have to agree... like Heaven on Earth... and I'm polish... (no time to make them for lunch today at work, can't eat meat).... Loved them... found them in a freezer where you wouldn't expect them so I figured they look good ... I'll give them a try and they are worth it...

Mike

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman123 View Post
Hate to bring up an older post but
WOW I have to agree... like Heaven on Earth... and I'm polish... (no time to make them for lunch today at work, can't eat meat).... Loved them... found them in a freezer where you wouldn't expect them so I figured they look good ... I'll give them a try and they are worth it...

Mike
I'm down to 1 package left!!!

I'm gonna have to give Greg a call & have him ship me some more!!! Ya can't find pierogi like them in Florida!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,385,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I'm down to 1 package left!!!

I'm gonna have to give Greg a call & have him ship me some more!!! Ya can't find pierogi like them in Florida!!!

can't find good ones here in az either. We stumbled upon a polish deli in phoenix and picked up a good variety of food. their pierogies were ok, but not mom and pops good. we'll stick to making them.

They had fruit filled ones. we picked up some blueberry ones. the girl behind the counter with the polish accent recommended boiling them and mixing sugar in with the sour cream. it was good, even for me who doesn't care for blueberry anything except fresh blueberries.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM

4,356 posts, read 8,588,773 times
Who has the best online perogies? I am tired of Mrs. T's. Living in Florida there are no Polish deli's to buy them.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Who has the best online perogies? I am tired of Mrs. T's. Living in Florida there are no Polish deli's to buy them.
Unless there's a Polish church near you that makes them for bazaars, online is it!! I've tried online ordering through pierogi places in Pittsburgh & Chicago & they're all dough & disappointing....

Mom & Pop's in Wilkes-Barre ships throughout the U.S. & they're delicious... if you call them, they'll send you a "menu" listing all the different types they make, & shipping's not that expensive!!

Their #'s (570) 825-9303 & the owner's name is Greg....you won't be sorry!!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 PM

11,100 posts, read 9,745,964 times
Making me hungry too.! Pierogi are one of my "comfort foods" and a mainstay at our dinner table.We are lucky enough to live near a really big Polish neighborhood a few towns away but I have had no trouble finding them in NEPA. And they have all been first rate!
There was a place in Scranton that like it was out of a private house.Never stopped there but I was wondering if any one knows how they are -or where they are???
Another place that looked like a "little hole in the wall", but some of the best ethnic places are not really fancy in my experience, yet the food can be yummy and inexpensive!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,195,601 times
Default Many area churches make perogies or pirohi

Some churches make pierogies year round. There are enough doing this that you probably can find some you like. Pirogi are like pizza...tastes and styles differ. There are almost as many styles as there are spellings

Pagach (pagachi), halushki, lenten soups and chowders etc are also often featured in the churches, especially during fasting periods.

There are usually ads on the TV or in local news and other publications. Some even advertise on the Internet!!!

Enjoy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania