Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,430,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
the stained glass windows are awesome...my friend in montrose has stained glass windows in his house...the front entrance..they look great...
probably from the early 1900's
Thanks coartist!! The stained glass guy said by the type of glass, these date from late 1700's to early 1800's & they come from a church in England. It was interesting to hear from him how they used to make the stained glass:

First they'd blow a long "tube" of colored glass & then cut the end off. They'd then heat the glass again, slice it lengthwise down the "tube", cut it from the "blow-pipe" & then roll it out like a sheet & cut each piece (like cookies from dough). Then if there was a "painted" design, it would be done with glaze-paint & fired onto each piece of glass!!

It gave me new respect for those old glassmakers!! What a labor-intensive process!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Got up at 6AM & the thermometer read "65". Now at 8AM it's reading "54"....guess the weatherman's right 'bout a cold front coming thru!! Gotta cook something in the oven again tonite!!

Bill talked to his mom last night & she went to the doctor for her 6-month bloodwork. Her levels are elevated, so her cancer's back, but they don't know where yet...

I Love Pa, it looks like JG's gonna be doing AGAIN what that link you DM'd me was about...amazing how life can change so fast huh?? Maybe one of those "nay-sayers" will volunteer to come down & help...

Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,583,014 times
I love how you, JG and Bill ,are so concerned about your family members. It just cements how I think of you.........ILOVEPA is also from the same mold.
There are so many out there who just don't care.........Isn't that sad.
Group huggsss to some special people.......thats what you are.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,382,364 times
JG, sorry to hear about Bill's Mom. Lets hope that it can be found and treated soon and that she can be back in remission soon.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I love how you, JG and Bill ,are so concerned about your family members. It just cements how I think of you.........ILOVEPA is also from the same mold.
There are so many out there who just don't care.........Isn't that sad.
Group huggsss to some special people.......thats what you are.
Thanks Mrs Summering, but we're nothing special. We just do what we need to do & try to always choose the right thing...

When we were last up to see his mom, Bill & I heard her giving short little "coughs" quite frequently & he said then he thinks the cancer entered her lungs. Having been in medical so many years, I'm afraid he may be right...we'll see.

As with anything, we take it day by day & deal as we need to....

Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
JG, sorry to hear about Bill's Mom. Lets hope that it can be found and treated soon and that she can be back in remission soon.
Thanks LIAC!! As Bill says, "it is what it is"....

Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,732,530 times
Too sweet, all ya! Good Golly...my parents never said "no" when I asked for help, or even when I Didn't ask.....how in the world could I not do the same for them. I will take care of my Mom till the end....not that it doesn't scare the cr-p out of me when I think about it and feel like I need to be medicated....but it's not about 'ME'. I'm astounded that there are so many people who are so selfish in this world. GJ...there will be a special 'jungle' awaiting you up in those pearly gates....God Bless You and Bill (my Dad's name!) for taking care of your Mom's. I wish Bills' Mom peace.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Too sweet, all ya! Good Golly...my parents never said "no" when I asked for help, or even when I Didn't ask.....how in the world could I not do the same for them. I will take care of my Mom till the end....not that it doesn't scare the cr-p out of me when I think about it and feel like I need to be medicated....but it's not about 'ME'. I'm astounded that there are so many people who are so selfish in this world. GJ...there will be a special 'jungle' awaiting you up in those pearly gates....God Bless You and Bill (my Dad's name!) for taking care of your Mom's. I wish Bills' Mom peace.
Thanks ILP!! According to church "doctrine" though, I won't be seeing no "Pearly Jungle" 'cause I love a man.... That's why I don't place any faith in the "man-made" part of religion...

I will tell you again, you are SO much stronger than you think!! Whatever task God throws in your path, you'll rise up with love in your heart & conviction & do what needs done!! You may be the soft-spoken & demure type, but I KNOW there's a "tiger in your tank"!!! (if you remember THAT, you're an old phardt like me...)

Have faith in not only the Man upstairs, but in yourself!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Holy squirrels batman!!!

There were five houses of religion in a small Texas town:
The Presbyterian Church, the Baptist Church,the Methodist Church , the Catholic Church and the Jewish Synagogue.

Each church and Synagogue was overrun with pesky squirrels.

One day, the Presbyterian Church called a meeting to decide what to do about the squirrels. After much prayer and consideration they determined that the squirrels were predestined to be there and they shouldn't interfere with God's divine will.

In The BAPTIST CHURCH the squirrels had taken up habitation in the baptistery. The deacons met and decided to put a cover on the baptistery and drown the squirrels in it. The squirrels escaped somehow and there were twice as many there the next week.

The Methodist Church got together and decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God's creation. So, they humanely trapped the Squirrels and set them free a few miles outside of town. Three days later, the squirrels were back.

But -- The Catholic Church came up with the best and most effective solution. They baptized the squirrels and registered them as members of the church. Now they only see them on Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday and Easter .

Not much was heard from the Jewish Synagogue,
but they took one squirrel and had a short service with him called circumcision. They haven't seen a squirrel on the property since.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,059,246 times
George here is a link to a company in the Outer Banks that we have pruchased some nice old stained glass windows from. Some come with the old frames on them and some just the glass, but this store is great.

Ocracoke Restoration (http://www.ocracokeguide.com/ocracoke-restoration/ocracokerestoration.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania