Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 02:04 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,382,364 times

Advertisements

Cute bridge JG! Now I want one for my property! I don't get a lot of wildlife where I am, but I'm on a small plot now, 80 X 100. I do get all the birds in the summer though, since I don't spray for bugs like the neighbors do. They seem to know the things on my property are safe to eat. I've never had a huge bug issue, but then again I actually like bugs! I had quite a few mantids this year. They are soooooo cool! There was a HUGE one on the screen of my front door near the handle for a few days, I guess she was trying to get the spiders that live in my door frame or something. I took to entering and leaving my house through a side door so as not to disturb her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM

371 posts, read 934,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Cute bridge JG! Now I want one for my property! I don't get a lot of wildlife where I am, but I'm on a small plot now, 80 X 100. I do get all the birds in the summer though, since I don't spray for bugs like the neighbors do. They seem to know the things on my property are safe to eat. I've never had a huge bug issue, but then again I actually like bugs! I had quite a few mantids this year. They are soooooo cool! There was a HUGE one on the screen of my front door near the handle for a few days, I guess she was trying to get the spiders that live in my door frame or something. I took to entering and leaving my house through a side door so as not to disturb her!
"eeek"

Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,430,820 times
Quote:
Thanks LIAC!! My Jungle's only 75'x150'!! But 'cause I have nothing but pathways meandering through the jungle (no grass), it looks & seems much bigger!!

I don't mind bugs either (except for no-see-ums & the occasional year we get too many mosquitoes...) & I also do not spray or use chemicals in the yard. We have the mantids too & orange grasshoppers so big Bill says we should throw a saddle on them!!

My jungle's become a sort of "eco-system". The plant debris I leave where it falls & it turns into humus (brown leaves here or there don't bother me like some people who wail "it looks messy"!!!), the bats & birds that live in it eat the majority of bugs & any "outbreak" I get of plant pests is soon eradicated by it's natural predators!! It's kinda cool to watch Mother Nature at work!!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,382,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
It's kinda cool to watch Mother Nature at work!!
Yeah, that Mother Nature seems to know what she's doing, doesn't she. Too bad most people can't realize that!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that Mother Nature seems to know what she's doing, doesn't she. Too bad most people can't realize that!
Yeah!!

But sometimes ya gotta help Her along....I remember in 2004 when we got slammed with the 2 hurricanes, the tree canopy was shredded & I had some rare shade plants throughout the yard (that I'd payed a LOT of money for...) that were now in full blazing sun!!!

I had some umbrellas in the garage & my neighbors lent me theirs, so I had open umbrellas rigged all through the yard to keep them shaded 'til the canopy filled back in....

It looked like "Mary Poppins on crack cocaine"!!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,583,014 times
I'm sorry..........I spray, and I spray and spray.
We got a shipment into Allentown years ago ( not that many years though) of stink bugs......
They will harbor in walls, they live in cold winters too. If you try to lead one out, that "stink" comes out of them......UGH.......Plus along with that we have a bug I never saw until two years ago.
It is a Wheelbug. This bug has a worse sting then a hornet. It looks quite like a stink bug, but it has a wheel on its back. Under its chin is a area with that stinger. It can take 6 wks to 6 MONTHS for that bite to heal........It gets inflamed and ugly.
So........to protect the boys and to protect my not liking that type of bug.........Summering sprays.
Yes, not good for the environment. Not good.......
But, they could have kept that stink bug in Asia and helped me out a bit.....rather then it coming on a box car into our local area and spreading like wildfire.
I'm not sure where its friend the Wheelbug came from but I have seen a few on my garage door, back large window and front window...
I saw the damage they will do.
I don't remember these bugs in NJ or in my other PA home ........but,they are at my area home now.
Spraying does help. I think I would have had an invasion of high proportions if I did not...
Sorry, Sorry, Sorry............Please don't tell Al Gore....

Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I'm sorry..........I spray, and I spray and spray.
O.K. Mrs. Summering (& anyone else who wants a laugh...), here's me all stuck under the bridge!!

Yeah...go ahead....laugh...everytime we hit a bump, my forehead whacked against the rail!! Then when I sat upright, my forehead was almost against the windshield....

Last edited by Jungle George; 04-28-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 AM

The sharks are doing their annual migration in our area & some surfers caught this video right by us!! Some area beaches have been closed since the sharks are seen in shallow water too!!

Local surfers' close call with a jumping shark West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Treasure Coast local news, weather, live radar, investigative from Newschannel 5 | WPTV.com

Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 AM

For all of us who are married, were married, wish
you were married, or wish you weren't married, this
is something to smile about the next time you see a
bottle of wine:

Sally was driving home from one of her business
trips in Northern Arizona when she saw an elderly
Navajo woman walking on the side of the road.

As the trip was a long and quiet one, she stopped
the car and asked the Navajo woman if she would like a ride.

With a silent nod of thanks, the woman got into the car.

Resuming the journey, Sally tried in vain to make
a bit of small talk with the Navajo woman. The old
woman just sat silently, looking intently at
everything she saw, studying every little detail,
until she noticed a brown bag on the seat next to Sally.

"What in bag?" asked the old woman.

Sally looked down at the brown bag and said, "It's
a bottle of wine. I got it for my husband."

The Navajo woman was silent for another moment or two.

Then speaking with the quiet wisdom of an elder, she said:

"Good trade."

Old 01-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Default New Math

This is a strictly mathematical viewpoint...it goes like this:

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%? What makes up 100% in life?
Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

And

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E

11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But ,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-*-T

2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far a$$ kissing will take you.

A-$-$-K-I-S-S-I-N-G

1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, that
While Hard work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, its the Bullsh*t and A$$
kissing that will put you over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania