Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Hello there Jungle George,

I do not think the way you act and treat people has anything to do with being a "weekender" or a "full-timer". I think people take their attitudes anywhere they go. I actually have many friends that are weekenders and I wish they were full-timers. I think just in general the summer months you have more people so it would probably seem louder.

So, the question is am I local? I do not know. I actually found some of the locals to be very clickish and would always talk about how they have been here all their life/ own this and that, etc. But, I have to say it is an intersting topic.
I'm not sure about up in NEPA, but down here we DO have some a-holes all year round. But in the winter during our high season the A-hole Meter climbs astronomically!!

It doesn't matter whether you're a "weekender" or a "full-timer", if you act nice & civilized & respect others, then even those "local cliques" will warm up to you. (yes, we have them too...)

The problem is that the majority of our snowbirds (at least in our area) have money, so they pretend they're Rockefellers or the Lady of Tara & treat the "average" locals like the lowly hired help!!

I just had a guy from FPL here to put in a meter for cost reduction & he basically said the same thing happens to him & the other techs. He said one lady snapped her fingers at him yesterday & yelled "boy" like he was some kinda step 'um fetchit. She refers to her housekeeper as "her girl" & that "her girl knows her place in life".

Multiply this by hundreds (if not more) & you can see why people would get PO'd.

Now I'm not saying ALL snowbirds are like this...Florida's a big state (Palm Beach County alone is the size of Rhode Island!!). But I can only speak for what I witness & what is relayed to me by others in our area...

If the "weekenders" in NEPA act in this fashion, I can see why they get a "reputation"...it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest!!

Last edited by Jungle George; 11-13-2008 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:04 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default B&t

"Bridge and Tunnel people" go to Manhattan!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I think it's mostly the behavior of "weekenders" that make people label them negatively (although in my development people save most of their disdain for the dreaded "renters"). Yes restaurants and gas stations are glad to receive their money - I'm surprised there are merchants near your full time residence who aren't glad to receive your money. But often the weekenders act like they own the workers because they've spent a few dollars. More people should learn how to blend. Don't walk into a local bar and act like you own the place. The regulars were there when you drove up on Friday night and they will be there when you leave on Sunday. It took time for people to realize we weren't like that. As soon as they heard a NY accent or saw the plate on the car they got their back up. I was offended until I looked around and saw how most NYers were treating people. Then I was just embarassed. I used to go to the Amish market on 115 and the way people would talk to them made me sick. If you have a weekend place somewhere and are consistently shunned, honestly - take a step back and consider your behavior.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM

99 posts, read 338,307 times
Well, I can say this because I am originally from NY: you can spot ( and hear) a New Yorker from a mile away!! Unfortunately, many NYers are inherently rude and loud. You can't imagine how Europeans view New Yorkers. They look at them as if they are from another planet. Many New Yorkers are very aggressive and pushy and just don't realize that not everyone acts that way!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I think it's mostly the behavior of "weekenders" that make people label them negatively (although in my development people save most of their disdain for the dreaded "renters"). Yes restaurants and gas stations are glad to receive their money - I'm surprised there are merchants near your full time residence who aren't glad to receive your money. But often the weekenders act like they own the workers because they've spent a few dollars. More people should learn how to blend. Don't walk into a local bar and act like you own the place. The regulars were there when you drove up on Friday night and they will be there when you leave on Sunday. It took time for people to realize we weren't like that. As soon as they heard a NY accent or saw the plate on the car they got their back up. I was offended until I looked around and saw how most NYers were treating people. Then I was just embarassed. I used to go to the Amish market on 115 and the way people would talk to them made me sick. If you have a weekend place somewhere and are consistently shunned, honestly - take a step back and consider your behavior.
That's exactly what I was trying to say!!

Down here, "full-timers" wouldn't care if you came down for 5 months, every weekend or every other Sunday IF you act respectful....unfortunately, the majority do not & ruin it for all the others...

It's true...it's the behavior of the "part-timers" that create the animosity!!

Every year we get a kick outta the local news anchors in October when they remark on the snowbirds starting to arrive...they always say "and we welcome them back home whole-heartedly"!!

Meanwhile, they're thinking far from what they said...

Old 11-15-2008, 06:09 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I think that is why there is such a fuss about Northerners going to SC too.........
Because of what some of you have so well discribed.
BTW JG did your sign come in for your yard, and how is that working.......LOLOL
Its not fun having a cranky, moody, neighbor.......Best to smile at them each mornin'...see if they feel like smiling back

Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I think that is why there is such a fuss about Northerners going to SC too.........
Because of what some of you have so well discribed.
BTW JG did your sign come in for your yard, and how is that working.......LOLOL
Its not fun having a cranky, moody, neighbor.......Best to smile at them each mornin'...see if they feel like smiling back
LOL!! Yepper!! The sign arrived & I wrapped it around the trunk of the palm tree by the mailboxes so he has to look at it every day!! I also ordered me & Bill matching Obama t-shirts to wear in the yard for more visuals!!

I tried SO many times to start conversation, the smiling thing, you name it!! He's just too much of an immature baby!! (sad when even his wife says he's an a-hole!!)

Funny though, he doesn't think about the month+ that we supplied him with free water, shared our food with him, used my extension ladder for me to get up on his roof & chainsaw all the big tree limbs that fell & blew on his house, etc.!!

He just has a lot of growing up to do!! (& at 43 y/o he better hurry....he's running outta time!!) I even told him if he continued to be such a big baby I was gonna start supplying him with Pampers!!

Now we basically just ignore him...I refuse to stoop to his level (besides the sign & t-shirts) & start a border-war!!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 AM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default btw.....

George, I noticed your signature and I'm sure that you are happy to know that, in January, that village in Texas will finally get its idiot back!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
George, I noticed your signature and I'm sure that you are happy to know that, in January, that village in Texas will finally get its idiot back!
ROFLMAO!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househuntinginPA View Post
Well, I can say this because I am originally from NY: you can spot ( and hear) a New Yorker from a mile away!! Unfortunately, many NYers are inherently rude and loud. You can't imagine how Europeans view New Yorkers. They look at them as if they are from another planet. Many New Yorkers are very aggressive and pushy and just don't realize that not everyone acts that way!

speak for yourself...please...not all New Yorkers are like that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania