Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 57,176 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a great Bridal shop to buy a wedding gown somewhere around Wilkes-Barre, Scranton or within 45 min.?
Any suggestions welcome as needing to make appointments soon for my daughter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,762,445 times
I would NOT NOT NOT recommend Head to Toe in Dunmore....they have a consistently horrible reputation for horrendous alterations.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,006,813 times
Honesdale is about 40 minutes or so from Scranton. Way back when, I bought my wedding dress at Mary Beth Bridal. They were wonderful...at least they were when I got married in 95.

However, I was very easy to please - I got a greatly reduced dress off the rack for $250.00 and a veil for $75. It did require some alterations, but I don't remember any hassle or complaints. I was not a "Bridezilla" and was not picky at all. This dress was simple and cute - not overly ornate, I could imagine Grace Kelly getting married in it. LOL

On the other hand, when my boss got married, her veil alone cost more than my dress and veil put together! LOL

849 Main St Ste 3
Honesdale, PA 18431-1885
Phone: (570) 253-6520

Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM

109 posts, read 366,759 times
You could try Sullum's in Olyphant, PA. I had shopped around at a few stores, and found they had more personalized service. We also ordered all the bridesmaids dresses there too.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,261 times
We've gotten bridesmaids dresses at all of the places mentioned here --we've never had a problem at head to toe, but maybe they have changed seamstress since we were there - I also liked Dolly's in Scranton- the older lady was a bit much, she tended to have a nicer personality if she thought you were rich- the daughter was nicer to deal with, and very helpful. Good Luck!!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 PM

253 posts, read 996,539 times
Default David's Bridals

Looks like there's a David's Bridals in Wyoming Valley Mall:

David's Bridal
100 Wyoming Valley
Wyoming Valley Mall
Wilkes Barre, PA 18702
Phone: (570) 829-4436
Alteration: (570) 829-5973

We just purchased our daughter's wedding gown at a David's Bridals in NJ, and they were wonderful. You have to make an appointment, so plan ahead. I didnt' realize there was so much to know about wedding gowns, but the sales person that helped us out was very nice, and made some great suggestions. They have a large selection of styles and sizes.

We thought the gown would come in mid December, but it came in October, earlier than we thought. And the price was great. I was holding my breath when I saw the gowns on her, but I thought they were very reasonable. Then, afterwards, she saw her gown in a bridal magazine and was showing people the picture, only to realize later that the one in the mag was the designer version, not the David's Bridal version. Evidently the gown she choose was modeled after this designer one.

This is our first child to get married, so if it's yours too, my advice is to bring tissues to the fitting - I know I started to tear up when I saw her in those gowns. Oh my!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 PM

87 posts, read 258,467 times
Oooh, the daughter at Dolly's is pretty hot. Maybe I'll got get a wedding dress.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,021,926 times
I got my dress from Head to Toe in Dunmore and I thought they did a great job on alterations. It was a strapless gown and it took a few tries but they insisted it be perfect, and it was.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,762,445 times
Well...as far as Head to Toe...I took a dress that was BUTCHERED by them to a seamstress...she knows of 3 people who are taking them to court. Not only did they butcher their dresses, they refuse to make good on anything. At least pay for new alterations. In some cases the dresses were not fixable. I know a thing or two about sewing and could see that on the dress we had done there...it was done by someone who didn't know the first thing about sewing.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,497 times
My wife found her dress at Sullum's, but she was very unhappy with the staff there. Rude comments and they tried to push her into things she didn't want. BUT, if you go in with that knowledge, they do have the best selection around and service otherwise was fine. The problem, so I'm told, is that all of these places show you what they think you might want, and they try to show you the more expensive dresses. If you're persistent, you can find what you want and not break the bank.

If you do try Sullum's, I'd recommend a stop at Molly Meguiar's next door, and try the beer soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania