U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 PM

1,974 posts, read 3,247,302 times
Default Wilkes-Barre city counsel shoots down request to open another homeless shelter in the city.

Ok, this one is a little odd. Wilkes-Barre shot down a request to open another homeless shelter in the city, they claim it would be determental to the city, but the building where it would go is practically on Sherman Hills' land, which is by far worse then any homeless shelter will ever be, and probably the worst low income project in NEPA. I think the city still has the murder of Mary Leo fresh on it's mind, and does not want history to repeat itself. For those who don't know... Mary Leo was an 80 year old city resident who was brutally stabbed to death by a crack addicted transient from Newark, Nj who was looking for money to get more crack. He was a resident of The Salvation Army homeless shelter on Hazel St at the time it happened. Afterwords, many angry residents demanded answers to why and how this can happen. Why was the Sal. Army allowing transients with long criminal histories to move into town and invade our residents? Why wasn't a background check done? I think this had alot to do with thier decision. Once bitten, twice shy. What do you think? Should they have allowed the shelter, or is it better that they denied it? My opinion is that W-B has enough shelters/social programs/transients that I don't think we need another, meanwhile Hazleton has none according to WBRE news. Hazleton is starving for a shelter, and currently has to transport thier homeless to W-B which is the closest city with shelters. Why doesn't the organization that wants to open this in W-B, open it in Hazleton instead (which needs a shelter of it's own anyway)? It would be a win for all involved.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 AM

201 posts, read 351,591 times
I for one am glad to hear that. I really don't understand how there are any homeless people in PA with all the welfare system gives them. As far as the Salvation Army, isn't that more for rehab then the homeless? I know they help families that were victims of fires and other disasters but I am talking about the centers they have set up. It makes me sick when I go past the one in W-B and see them all sitting outside, some staggering all over. IMO I think that many "homeless" choose to be that way because they would rather have thier drugs or alcohol.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,247,302 times
Wilkes-Barre has several options for the homeless in the city, while Hazleton has none. WBRE and Andy Mahalshick just did a big story about it that was on the news two nights ago. Why not just open it in Hazleton? Wilkes-barre doesn't want another shelter and Hazleton desperately needs one. It makes sense to me.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,279,559 times
if the shelter was for W-B's homeless people then it should have been opened. If the shelter was the salvation army taking advantage of cheap real estate to import other city's homeless i'm quite glad it go shot down.

you can get a roof over your head in wilkes-barre for a mortgage payment of less than $200.00 a month. I can't imagine someone being homeless there without mental defect.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley19 View Post
I for one am glad to hear that. I really don't understand how there are any homeless people in PA with all the welfare system gives them. As far as the Salvation Army, isn't that more for rehab then the homeless? I know they help families that were victims of fires and other disasters but I am talking about the centers they have set up. It makes me sick when I go past the one in W-B and see them all sitting outside, some staggering all over. IMO I think that many "homeless" choose to be that way because they would rather have thier drugs or alcohol.
That has to be one of the most ignorant and insensitive things I have ever read.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,451,055 times
Several years ago in Scranton there was a similar incident A N.J. addict that was at the Scranton Salvation Army rehab center killed a woman in West Scranton..He duct taped her child to a chair and murdered the childs mother in front of him. theres nothing but out of state crackheads at our
salvation Army...It should be demolished and used for a parking lot.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,616,667 times
Ashley what are you saying???? Are you saying that ALL homeless people are drud addicts?

Are you kidding me? Given the NATIONAL mortgage crisis in this country I would have to believe that their are alot of people that are homeless because they have either lost their homes or had to resort to a short sale to save from bankruptcy.....

We actually spoke to Rev. Simmons the other day and she informed my mother and I that she has about 25 people a night that cannot afford to get into apartments right now and their pay after taxes and everything else is just barely enough to survive on. They go to work everyday, but they have no where to live so they stay in the shelter at night......

I understand that you have some issues with welfare people, but just because someone is homeless doesn't not mean that they are on welfare and or a drug addict......

With your recent posts I'm thinking that your leaning towards rounding these welfare/homeless/drug addicts up and putting them in some kind of camps with out any regards to their individual situations...........Kind of like the US Gov't did by putting ALL the asians in camps because they had slanted eyes, instead of just the Japanese who attacked us.

You need to back down on the ignorance alittle and have some compassion.....There are good people out there that have fallen on tough times in life...

The shelters in Scranton could use donations as well....Basics...Toothpaste, TP and such...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM

26,089 posts, read 45,334,492 times
You spoke to Rev. Simmons? I envy you. I've always admired that woman's vigor and seemingly honest compassion for the less fortunate. She's one of the few council speakers whom I regularly revere. I'd ask for her autograph any day over the mayor's!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,304,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You spoke to Rev. Simmons? I envy you. I've always admired that woman's vigor and seemingly honest compassion for the less fortunate. She's one of the few council speakers whom I regularly revere. I'd ask for her autograph any day over the mayor's!

I want Les Spindler's autograph on a picture of Napoleon Dynamite!

Tell me this does not sound like Les: http://www.thesoundarchive.com/nd/nap-eeatthefood.wav

Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,616,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
If you want I'll get you her number.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania