Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,331,874 times

Advertisements

In my local newspaper there is a column called 30 seconds. People can call and sound off, just for 30 seconds. The equivalent is given in type with an email. You can sign you submission in any way, or be anonymous. I don't read these regularly, so at times I read responses to something I am not familiar with. Here is one....

"To the Ralpho (Township, Elysburg, PA) woman who took the time to analyze our new presidents lineage, let me do the same for you. You are 45.17 percent racist, 28.3 percent xenophobe, 8.75 percent clan and 17.8 percent idiot. Hold on and let me add these up. Yep, you're 100 percent moron.

-Catawissa Man

Editors comment: "I checked your work. You're 100 percent right."

I get more laughs from this column than I do from the comics section!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 04:01 AM

910 posts, read 2,991,315 times
I've actually seen that column and love it! We go to Danville for our son's dr alot and whenever there I grab all local papers, so one must be the same you read. They aren't all great, but some are so well thought out and expressed!

I listen to a radio show that has something similar called the F you hotline where people can leave cranky messages to blow off steam. Love the idea.

Thanks for sharing! It was a great early morning laugh. I tried to go on their site to read more but you have to PAY. Booo.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,173 times
OMG! I loved that section of the paper and read it faithfully when I lived in Danville. I missed it so much that, after I moved, I went and got an online subscription to the Press Enterprise.

I both laugh at what people are saying, and cringe at how badly they spell it!

There's a radio station near where I grew up that has a daily show called "Air Your Opinion," pretty much the radio version of 30 Seconds. I don't hear it much but it's pretty lively conversation.

I just wish people would be brave and say those same things out loud, instead of hiding behind anonymity. Now THAT would be a news story!

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 AM

905 posts, read 2,399,970 times
Who remembers the column in the Times Leader called "Say So". Now that had some crazy and funny responses in it

Old 11-28-2008, 12:47 PM

6,774 posts, read 9,327,743 times
The Pottsville Republican had a section like that at one time. Not sure if they still do, but I always enjoyed it!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 AM

87 posts, read 258,467 times
Klan, actually.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
is this where i call to complain that m&m's should be sorted by color already when i buy them?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Default Yes Indeed!

Here is one from each of the last three days:

"Well, I do know its going to be an interesting four years. How do we elect a president for 1. Doesn't pledge to the flag. 2. Has an Arab name when were at war with "extreme" Islam, and 3. We really don't know much about the guy to begin with. So I figure my New Year resolution will be to convert to Islam, denounce the flag, and buy a useless, hairless poodle."

"Have you noticed how hard it is to buy garlic not grown in China? My Italian wife won't allow me to buy Chinese garlic and I believe she is right, considering China's record with pet foods, eggs, toys, baby formula, milk, etc. Where can you buy good, home-grown garlic?"

"The correct term for mental institutions is behavior health units."

I can't stand buying M&M's with all the colors mixed up. It takes too long to seperate the colors when I get home. I don't like all of those flavors in my mouth at one time!!! Someone should call them and tell them to keep them seperate! (shades of the comic strip, "Dinette Set")

Old 11-29-2008, 09:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,271,885 times
Times leader used to have the "say so". Some of the things people would complain about were so stupid! They eventually got rid of it, because it was all just pure negative venting. People in our region seem to have a negative view of everything. There was never anything positive at all in there. People would use it as an indirect letter to a neighbor they don't like, like "for the person living at 536 Madison st, you need to shut your dog up!! It keeps me up all night with it's barking!" or "to the person that cut me off in traffic on Wyoming Ave on 10/12/08...you should be ashamed of yourself!!!" Once in a while the other person would respond a few days later, like "I did not cut you off in traffic, you were driving to slow!!" This is the kind of thing it degenerated into. Some of the stuff was pretty funny. I kind of miss it.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 AM

Default more 30 seconds...

"I'm calling because I want my wife and daughter back. Can you please post this? I want you back, wife. I want you back, daughter. I'll do anything for you. I love you."

"The Vatican forgives John Lennon. Forgives John lennon? These hypocrites, condoners of pedophiles, forgive John lennon. They need to make amends and forgive themselves! John Lennon wrote beautifully of Mother mary. He was forthright in his beliefs and actions. Forgiveness by the Vatican is insignificant!"

"Irregardless, with all due respect,I'm about to loose my mind. This can of worms can't see through the trees or even where it's at. The foreseeable future is a fate worse than death- a richly woven tapestry of lies, to turn a phrase. It's heart-rendering to know how it was all a foregone conclusion won by a litmus test, and it boggles the mind how fools rush in to get nowhere fast. It goes without saying there is a leaps and bounds generation gap and the thick as thieves powers that be are making a killing by pushing the envelope. We should seriously consider raising the bar for what makes them tick. But finding a diamond in the rough is easier said than done. Just food for thought."

If anyone has an idea what the above means, please share!

"Let's see... a comparison: editor of a small newspaper vs. Governor of the largest state in America... hmmmm... A little fish in a small bowl vs. a BIG barracuda with courage, intelligence and raw guts. Not much of a comparison. When have you ever ran for office or stepped out into the naked light of day for what you believed, instead of crying about punctuation or spelling and GRACING your readership with your self worshipping intellect Sachetti?"

Editor Jim Sachetti replied with "It's 'when have you ever RUN for office.' Take a remedial reading course and get some help with that anger."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania