U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Our Metropolitan Area is...
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre 19 65.52%
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,657,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Sure W-B would be larger if you were to include all those surrounding towns, but then you would have to include towns like Dunmore, Moosic, Taylor, Throop, Dickson City, South Abington, Clarks Summit, Clarks Green, etc, in with Scranton, effectively making Scranton larger once again.

But, then we could add Back Mountain, MountainTop, Nanticoke, west Pittston, Pittston, Hughestown, Laflin, Avoca and so on and leapfrog Scranton once again..... heh... Someday, when I'm really in the mood for 'fun for the feebleminded', I'm gonna sit down and figger it all up....one thing's sure: Luzerne is still the larger County.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 PM

31,440 posts, read 70,487,634 times
Quote:
Sure W-B would be larger if you were to include all those surrounding towns, but then you would have to include towns like Dunmore, Moosic, Taylor, Throop, Dickson City, South Abington, Clarks Summit, Clarks Green, etc, in with Scranton, effectively making Scranton larger once again.
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I believe if we start throwing the 'burbs into the mix, Wilkes-Barre's immediate area is more heavily-populated than Scranton. Let's not forget that the Back Mountain has around 30,000 residents, Mountain Top has nearly 20,000, Greater Pittston has 48,000, Nanticoke/Hanover/Ashley has around 25,000, the West Side has a large number, etc. In Scranton, even with the Abingtons, Mid-Valley, North Pocono, Dunmore, and Tri-Boro areas all included, the population is still less than the Wilkes-Barre area.

Quote:
Actually, I think Wilkes-Barre does have the more "urban" feel than Scranton. W-B's neighborhoods seem more crammed together, while many of Scranton's are more spaced apart, giving many of Scranton's neighborhoods a more small-town feel. I do like the layout for W-B's downtown better than Scranton. It boggles me that W-B's downtown is not more vibrant....it has a great setting with the Susquehanna River, Public Square, and a college campus at each end.
I agree. Wilkes-Barre's downtown is so much more compact, walkable, and easily-defined. The downtown is bounded to the north by aptly-named North Street and to the south by similarly-named South Street. The Susquehanna River forms the western boundary, and the wide Wilkes-Barre Boulevard forms the eastern periphery. King's College anchors the northern edge of Center City while Wilkes University dominates the southern end. Public Square forms a nice diamond in the dead-center. The new "Diamond City Entertainment District" links Public Square to the Wilkes University area. The upcoming "RiverWalk" project will bring downtown dwellers, office workers, and college students to the river's edge for entertainment via portals in the levee wall.

Wilkes-Barre's downtown may have seen better days, but it is bouncing back. Just five years from now, you won't even recognize the city's landscape with the completion of the Hotel Sterling, Murray Complex, Intermodal Transportation Center, RiverWalk, and the new retail/restaurant venues along South Main Street. Both colleges also continue to grow, and with their growth comes new opportunities. I've even heard rumors here at King's that a long-vacant eyesore on the corner of North Main & East North Streets may be converted into loft housing for faculty. The city is rounding the corner---its "ghetto" image is the one remaining hurdle it must overcome. While I still prefer Scranton over Wilkes-Barre for many reasons, Scranton's downtown just has a more "haphazard" feel to it with no definite set boundaries that delineate it from surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post
Neither, dog. I believe the US Census calls it the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), even though Hazleton isn't that close.
Actually, from my latest search, Hazleton has just been dropped from the metro area's title. Its population is still included in the tally, but since it only has a little over 20,000 residents, I suppose the powers-that-be no longer consider it to be a vital part of the metropolitan area.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Who cares?

Some people say both. Are you gonna persecute the ones who say WB/SCR? People are gonna say it how they want, not how people like you want or the govt. want you to say it. PA has enough laws to make it a dictatorship as is. Limiting free speech is crossing the line. You should really put a "who cares?" slot in there.

I just thought it would be fun to bring this debate back up as it was also an issue a few years ago. I'm not going to crucify someone for saying "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton." I was just wondering if there was a "correct" answer (such as Minneapolis/St. Paul, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Seattle/Tacoma, Raleigh/Durham, Dallas/Ft. Worth, etc.)

Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,296,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
one thing's sure: Luzerne is still the larger County.......

Luzerne is the larger county, in population and land size. But that includes the Hazleton area and western Luzerne County, which are not part of Wilkes-Barre and its suburbs.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I believe if we start throwing the 'burbs into the mix, Wilkes-Barre's immediate area is more heavily-populated than Scranton. Let's not forget that the Back Mountain has around 30,000 residents, Mountain Top has nearly 20,000, Greater Pittston has 48,000, Nanticoke/Hanover/Ashley has around 25,000, the West Side has a large number, etc. In Scranton, even with the Abingtons, Mid-Valley, North Pocono, Dunmore, and Tri-Boro areas all included, the population is still less than the Wilkes-Barre area.
Yes, but would you necessarily count the Pittston area in with W-B? Sure its in Luzerne county, but its about exactly halfway between Scranton and W-B, meaning that area could go either way. And Luzerne County towns like Avoca and Duryea are definitely closer to Scranton.

Anyways, this is kind of a pointless debate. This area should be looking to identify itself as one area, rather than two. Personally, I think of it as one area, as I live in Scranton and work in Wilkes-Barre. But I still think the area should be referred to as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, just for the fact that Scranton is larger and more well-known than Wilkes-Barre.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM

28 posts, read 95,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Of course, if they watched "All in the Family", they'll remember that Edith Bunker regularly visited family in Scranton......
Actually, in the book War Day, Scranton was the last city left in the non-affected (by radiation from THE blasts) area and became the jumping off point for those allowed to travel back into NYC. It bizarrely became quite prosperous.

Anyone have other Scranton or Wilkes-Barre references from the outside?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 AM

28 posts, read 95,272 times
The airport is called Avoca International..... the code is AVP.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAgainInWestPittston View Post
The airport is called Avoca International..... the code is AVP.

No..its called Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International....even though there are no international flights out of that glorified bus terminal and political fiefdom. You're lucky if you can get a flight out of state from Avoca.
The problem with that airport is that its run by politicians (Luz and Lack commissioners).....politicians seem to be the be-all-end-all to this area's problems....

Old 03-02-2007, 11:11 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,544,739 times
Quote:
. You're lucky if you can get a flight out of state from Avoca.
You can It'll just cost your first born and most of your savings.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania