U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Our Metropolitan Area is...
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre 19 65.52%
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM

29,617 posts, read 65,648,793 times

Advertisements

This is a topic that's been bugging the hell out of me for years now! Is our part of NEPA entitled "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre" or "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton?" Here's a few local examples that support both:

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA (U.S. Census designation)
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Nielsen Ratings Market

My vote goes for "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre." My reasoning is as follows:

1.) The largest city always comes first in other areas. Think "Raleigh/Durham", "Minneapolis/St. Paul", "Tampa/St. Petersburg", "Champaign/Urbana", "Cincinnati/Covington",
"Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton", "Seattle/Tacoma", etc. In our case, Scranton has a population of roughly 70,000 vs. Wilkes-Barre's roughly 40,000 inhabitants. Shouldn't this be clear-cut enough?

2.) "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre", as I stated earlier, is what the government refers to us as with the U.S. Census Bureau.

Why, then, do I repeatedly here so many people say they hail from the "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton" area? Any answers or other insight into the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 PM

538 posts, read 2,180,600 times
Neither, dog. I believe the US Census calls it the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), even though Hazleton isn't that close.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 PM

142 posts, read 519,448 times
Welp...Hazle-slum is as close to wilkes-berry as Scrantoon is to WB..

Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 AM

3,861 posts, read 10,091,894 times
While the Census bureau does list the largest city first, but that would make the Bay Area, the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland MSA. I think the Census Bureau gets around this by putting San Jose into it's own metro area, and then consolidates it into the SJ-SF-Oak CMSA. However, EVERYONE knows that San Francisco is the center city of the metropolis. So, I wouldn't make the Census Bureau the absolute law on this. Still, unless there's a compelling reason the bigger city rules. A compelling reason would be soemthing such as over the centuries one of the cities has consistantly been the larger one, until recently.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 AM

164 posts, read 138,276 times
Default I got another question....

Who cares?

Some people say both. Are you gonna persecute the ones who say WB/SCR? People are gonna say it how they want, not how people like you want or the govt. want you to say it. PA has enough laws to make it a dictatorship as is. Limiting free speech is crossing the line. You should really put a "who cares?" slot in there.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,910,486 times
It should be Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Scranton is the larger of the two cities. Period. We don't hear other places named "St. Paul/Minneapolis" or "Camden/Philadelphia" or "Durham/Raleigh."

Our airport is named backwards among many other things. Although I have no problem with the Penguins and Pioneers being named "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton" since the arena is in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 AM

414 posts, read 1,591,112 times
The airport is largely in Luzerne County, thus Wilkes-Barre/Scranton makes sense as did the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons in terms of the teams location in Lackawanna County and so forth.....

Scranton does have a larger population, but also a much larger area than Wilkes-Barre's small 8 s.m.--about the size of Harrisburg .Were Wilkes-Barre's municipal boundaries extended to include Hanover Twnshp, Kingston, Larks & Edwardsville, Forty Fort, the Wyomings, Luzerne, Swoyersville, Plains Twnship, W-B Twnshp, Ashley, etc., in other words the nearby Wyoming Valley inner 'burbs, the present population would exceed Scranton's without as much land area.... As it is, Wilkes Barre claims to have the largest centralized business concentration in NePa. I have no way of gauging that right this minute...that's not to say that Scranton isn't the more fully urban 'seeming' of the two, given its condensed, handsome downtown layout & buildings, natch

Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,910,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Scranton does have a larger population, but also a much larger area than Wilkes-Barre's small 8 s.m.--about the size of Harrisburg .Were Wilkes-Barre's municipal boundaries extended to include Hanover Twnshp, Kingston, Larks & Edwardsville, Forty Fort, the Wyomings, Luzerne, Swoyersville, Plains Twnship, W-B Twnshp, Ashley, etc., in other words the nearby Wyoming Valley inner 'burbs, the present population would exceed Scranton's without as much land area.... As it is, Wilkes Barre claims to have the largest centralized business concentration in NePa. I have no way of gauging that right this minute...that's not to say that Scranton isn't the more fully urban 'seeming' of the two, given its condensed, handsome downtown layout & buildings, natch

Sure W-B would be larger if you were to include all those surrounding towns, but then you would have to include towns like Dunmore, Moosic, Taylor, Throop, Dickson City, South Abington, Clarks Summit, Clarks Green, etc, in with Scranton, effectively making Scranton larger once again.

Actually, I think Wilkes-Barre does have the more "urban" feel than Scranton. W-B's neighborhoods seem more crammed together, while many of Scranton's are more spaced apart, giving many of Scranton's neighborhoods a more small-town feel. I do like the layout for W-B's downtown better than Scranton. It boggles me that W-B's downtown is not more vibrant....it has a great setting with the Susquehanna River, Public Square, and a college campus at each end.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 AM

28 posts, read 91,434 times
I just figured it depended on if you were from Luzerne or Lackawanna County. While we are on the subject, have you noticed that it is an either or situation? Either Scranton OR Wilkes-Barre is is prospering - I have never seen BOTH doing well at the same time.

Truth be told - to the outside world, Scranton is more notorious. You can mention to someone from most parts of the US - "I'm from Scranton" - they may look blankly at you and say... "Oh" (cause they have heard of it), but, tell them Wilkes-Barre, and they say "huh?".... you'll smile knowingly and reply... "near Scranton".

Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,839,778 times
Default not to date myself, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAgainInWestPittston View Post
....Truth be told - to the outside world, Scranton is more notorious. You can mention to someone from most parts of the US - "I'm from Scranton" - they may look blankly at you and say... "Oh" (cause they have heard of it), but, tell them Wilkes-Barre, and they say "huh?".... you'll smile knowingly and reply... "near Scranton".
Of course, if they watched "All in the Family", they'll remember that Edith Bunker regularly visited family in Scranton......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania