U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 PM

201 posts, read 359,497 times

Advertisements

Has anyone received a new reassessment in the mail lately? I received my original one back in July and did not appeal it because it was less then what it was appraised at. I just received another one and they added on 1,000+ sq. ft of land on. The original had 26,000+ and this one had 27,790. I found my deed and it has 25,070. Plus I don't know how much was washed away by the creek over the years. Now I have to appeal it and miss time off work for a hearing. What is going on here? Has anyone else encountered this? As if I am not stressed out enough I have to deal with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 AM

13,315 posts, read 13,779,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley19 View Post
Has anyone received a new reassessment in the mail lately? I received my original one back in July and did not appeal it because it was less then what it was appraised at. I just received another one and they added on 1,000+ sq. ft of land on. The original had 26,000+ and this one had 27,790. I found my deed and it has 25,070. Plus I don't know how much was washed away by the creek over the years. Now I have to appeal it and miss time off work for a hearing. What is going on here? Has anyone else encountered this? As if I am not stressed out enough I have to deal with this.
Well going by your deed you should appeal.........I bet you'll win........
They can't charge you for land you do not have....
Sometimes they will accept the deed as proof and just do it for you without the hubbub...........Talk with the tax people of your town.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 PM

26,426 posts, read 46,704,290 times
We haven't received a new reassessment in the mail lately. We received our new value of $208,200 earlier this year for our home in Pittston Twp., and we thought it was slightly overvalued. We chose not to endure the legal bickering involved in contesting it. That's not a bad investment on my parents' behalf, considering our home is now worth nearly DOUBLE what they paid for it in 1996. We appealed the value of my recently-belated grandmother's homestead in Hughestown and managed to get a reduction.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-19-2008 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-19-2008, 06:43 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,302,462 times
My house is accessed as a 4 bedroom and it is only a 3 bedroom. I'm afraid to say anything...I'm still afraid they'll find a reason why my taxes should go UP!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 AM

182 posts, read 333,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley19 View Post
I recieved my formal appeal a little over a month ago --denied!! At my informal appeal I was told there is definitely something wrong but they couldn't adjust land value at the informal appeal. At the formal appeal, they agreed with everything I said but wouldn't accept some of my information (soil and wetlands map)--denied-no reason given.

How much did your actual taxes go up due to the increase in land they added? If it didn't go up too much (whatever you consider too much) you could do nothing, now and appeal it next year (free). If your at the mitigation stage, it costs about $120 ($111.75 for filing and the rest for copies (5) and postage).

One thing I would say, don't take a day off of work for an appeal. I've been to three of them and none lasted more than 15 minutes. Also, don't expect any answers at an appeal, its very aggravating.

My sister's formal appeal resulted in a $250,000 value reduction in her land/house value. It amazes me how far off some of the values are.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:10 PM

26,426 posts, read 46,704,290 times
Snarky, snark, snark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania