Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 03:06 PM

203 posts, read 577,326 times

Advertisements

The closest commuter rail to NYC is out of Port Jervis, NY.
It's about 60 miles (1 hour) drive from Scranton. My husband works in the rail yard. It's a haul just to go to work, but when we started out with no money Scranton was the most affordable area. The house prices rise as you get closer to the NY border.
The train rides are about 1 1/2 hours if you take an express train...I think that how long they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 04:25 PM

14 posts, read 25,017 times
Thanks for the info, WatsonWest. I really like the idea of being close to NYC, but I can't imagine ever driving in for a "tourist" weekend. I've always loved traveling by train, and as mentioned earlier, I'd really like to arrive in NYC at Grand Central Station.

There are lots of things I want to do and explore when we get to NEPA, NYC is just one of many things. I am a bit disappointed there isn't an Amtrak station in the immediate area.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:13 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieBee View Post
Is there a train station (Amtrak) near Scranton? The Amtrak web site doesn't show any in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre? and I'm not familiar enough with the surrounding area to know where else to look. I love traveling by train, have made several trips between here (eastern Iowa) and Denver, CO over the years.

What's the best way to get into NYC for a long weekend? I know we won't want to drive and was hoping train travel would be an option...

And, now that I have your attention: what is proper pronunciation of the latter half of Wilkes-Barre? "bar"? "baree"? "berry"? I don't want to sound like a tourist when we get there.
Hi again,

Seems you can pretty much say whatever you want for WB: The proper way to say Wilkes-Barre

Yep, as others have noted, the passenger trains are long gone. There's talk of restoring commuter train service, but it's at best a long way off.

Here's the schedule for the bus company that does the most trips into NYC's, ehm, legendary Port Authority Bus Terminal. Well, it's not as glamorous as a train into Grand Central, but it works pretty well. From Scranton, PA - Martz Trailways (http://www.martztrailways.com/from-scranton.asp - broken link) Greyhound also runs a couple buses a day..

(I take the bus in for work pretty often-- some wild 'n' crazy commuters do it daily. And that's another reason we liked Hyde Park, you can walk down to the bus station in 10-15 minutes...)

Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Hi again,

Seems you can pretty much say whatever you want for WB: The proper way to say Wilkes-Barre

Yep, as others have noted, the passenger trains are long gone. There's talk of restoring commuter train service, but it's at best a long way off.

Here's the schedule for the bus company that does the most trips into NYC's, ehm, legendary Port Authority Bus Terminal. Well, it's not as glamorous as a train into Grand Central, but it works pretty well. From Scranton, PA - Martz Trailways (http://www.martztrailways.com/from-scranton.asp - broken link) Greyhound also runs a couple buses a day..

(I take the bus in for work pretty often-- some wild 'n' crazy commuters do it daily. And that's another reason we liked Hyde Park, you can walk down to the bus station in 10-15 minutes...)
I dodn't mean to offend anyone...it is just that since leaving the Island and the days of a two mile trip taking 15 minutes...I hate the idea of any long driving time...

Old 12-26-2008, 06:00 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
I dodn't mean to offend anyone...it is just that since leaving the Island and the days of a two mile trip taking 15 minutes...I hate the idea of any long driving time...
Oh, no offense here. I think it's crazy too. Driving from the Poconos daily is even more nuts than taking the bus from Scranton daily, in my book..

Old 12-26-2008, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 88,120 times
Seems like a lot of people are looking into moving back up to NEPA. I went to ESU for school. Moved down to West Palm Beach, FL because thats where the jobs were. I teach 1st grade dual language down here now. I am considering moving back to NEPA (Scranton area preferably Allentown if I can't find a job in Scranton or Mount Pocono). Everyone thinks I'm nuts for wanting to give up the warm weather. But to be honest 80 Degrees year round gets old after a while. No snow....no leaves changing colors. AC running year round. No hills or mountains everything is flat!!!! And all my family is in NJ no one is in FL. I can't wait to get back up to NEPA. Hearing everyone talk about the poconos in this forum is getting me all excited about the move and its still another 700 days away (at least)!!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Don't feel badly. Ten years from now I hope to have my Ph.D., and my peers consider me to be "nuts" too because I like Scranton. The rest of my college peers are more or less saying "Last one out, turn off the lights!" I would love to live in a REAL city neighborhood for a while though---perhaps Brooklyn Heights in NYC, the Back Bay in Boston, Loring Park in Minneapolis, or Shadyside in Pittsburgh (or perhaps all of the above!)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-26-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-26-2008, 10:44 AM

7 posts, read 88,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Don't feel badly. Ten years from now I hope to have my Ph.D., and my peers consider me to be "nuts" too because I like Scranton. The rest of my college peers are more or less saying "Last one out, turn off the lights!" I would love to live in a REAL city neighborhood for a while though---perhaps Brooklyn Heights in NYC, the Back Bay in Boston, Loring Park in Minneapolis, or Shadyside in Pittsburgh (or perhaps all of the above!)

I could do all of those cities because they all get their seasons. I learned from living down here in South Florida that I can't live in a place that has no seasons. When your used to it being a certain way for so many years and then all of a sudden its 80 in January.....and 90 in July.....You get a little bitter with life! I want to wear a sweater darnit!!!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedESU21 View Post
I could do all of those cities because they all get their seasons. I learned from living down here in South Florida that I can't live in a place that has no seasons. When your used to it being a certain way for so many years and then all of a sudden its 80 in January.....and 90 in July.....You get a little bitter with life! I want to wear a sweater darnit!!!!!
Well I'm sure that our very own EnyaGirl would let you shovel her driveway out for her so that she doesn't end up trapped on her front lawn again! LOL!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 AM

14 posts, read 25,017 times
I'd love to hear any comments anyone has on the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire in Manheim. My son and I are big fans and have tried to get to a faire every summer. We've been to the Colorado Renaissance Festival in Larkspur several times, and the Bristol (Wisconsin) Renaissance Faire twice. The first faire I attended was in Largo, FL, but it seems to have ended.

Are there any other fairs within a few hours' drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania