Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM

14 posts, read 24,875 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in Scranton. He'll be starting the job Jan. 5 and will need a small place to rent until I and our son follow him in a few weeks, maybe months.

We're moving from small town Iowa and are really looking forward to this move. Once he's settled in and is sure the job is what he wants our son and I will move and then we'll need to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment. He's been told about inexpensive rentals in the Poconos (a 40 minute drive?), but I'd like to be closer to his job. Are there any parts of town where a lot of things are within walking distance? (All 3 of us have a car, but I like to walk when possible.)

Finances are a concern, especially in the early months of his job. I'd love to read any suggestions on parts of town to look in (or avoid!).

Any and all comments are appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:41 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Hello there, Bessie!

First of all, welcome in advance to Northeastern Pennsylvania! Despite our various political differences (brou-ha-has?) on this sub-forum I think you'll find that most people here will be readily-willing to assist you with any concerns you may have. Today we're getting a very heavy snow fall, so most of us are cooped up inside anyways; the replies should be rolling in over the next few hours. I'm so happy it's going to be a White Christmas this year!

I'd have to assume that rental prices are probably less expensive in the immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area than they would be in the Poconos because in the Poconos many rental prices are slightly over-inflated to rip off the throngs of people with great jobs who commute daily into NJ or NYC and don't mind paying a premium for a better quality-of-life than what they had back in the city. I know you're accustomed to small-town living, but it would probably be nice for you to live closer to the immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area to be nearer to shopping, dining, worship services (if you practice any faith), etc.

What sort of environment are you looking for? The nice thing about our area is that you can find urban, suburban, or rural settings, and all of them are easily-accessible to one another. Traffic generally flows smoothly, although I-81 can be a terrible hassle anymore at rush-hour with the construction zones backing up the vehicles for miles. Violent crime is rather low, but property crime is about average, in my estimation. We're an area of 551,000, so of course we're going to have our fair share of problems. What area doesn't?

Unfortunately you'll also notice that owning a vehicle is a necessity. Like you I also hope to relocate to a "walkable" neighborhood, but that isn't very practical in our area. I think your best bet might be to look into Hyde Park on Scranton's West Side, as this is a neighborhood I'm also scoping out for an apartment for myself in late-2009. Here you have some nice older homes, sidewalks, a lot of younger families, generally low crime, and the ability to walk to a small downtown district along Main Avenue (barber shops/beauty parlors, restaurants, drug stores, convenience stores, ice cream parlor, a grocery store, churches, parks, etc.) You're also a quick drive (or rather unpleasant walk) to Downtown where you'll find the Steamtown Mall (anchored by Boscov's, The Bon-Ton, and the soon-to-be-defunct Steve & Barry's) as well as a growing arts and nightlife scene. You're also a short drive from Dickson City and the area surrounding the Viewmont Mall (anchored by Macy's, Sears, JCPenney), where you'll find every big-box store and chain restaurant known to man (as well as horrific traffic).

Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello there, Bessie!

First of all, welcome in advance to Northeastern Pennsylvania! Despite our various political differences (brou-ha-has?) on this sub-forum I think you'll find that most people here will be readily-willing to assist you with any concerns you may have. Today we're getting a very heavy snow fall, so most of us are cooped up inside anyways; the replies should be rolling in over the next few hours. I'm so happy it's going to be a White Christmas this year!
Thanks for the reply, ScranBarre! Right now I'm at home in Iowa with a foot or more of snow along with the remains from an ice storm last night. My front door is frozen shut. I'll be happy with a thawed Christmas!

Quote:
I'd have to assume that rental prices are probably less expensive in the immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area than they would be in the Poconos because in the Poconos many rental prices are slightly over-inflated to rip off the throngs of people with great jobs who commute daily into NJ or NYC and don't mind paying a premium for a better quality-of-life than what they had back in the city. I know you're accustomed to small-town living, but it would probably be nice for you to live closer to the immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area to be nearer to shopping, dining, worship services (if you practice any faith), etc.
I would also presume that the prices in the Poconos would be higher, but my husband has almost everyone at his new work place bombarding him with suggestions - the "cheap housing!" in the Poconos being one of them. Right now he's at a motel in Scranton trying to locate a small place for him to move to right after New Year's.

Quote:
What sort of environment are you looking for? The nice thing about our area is that you can find urban, suburban, or rural settings, and all of them are easily-accessible to one another. Traffic generally flows smoothly, although I-81 can be a terrible hassle anymore at rush-hour with the construction zones backing up the vehicles for miles. Violent crime is rather low, but property crime is about average, in my estimation. We're an area of 551,000, so of course we're going to have our fair share of problems. What area doesn't?
We're not looking for a specific type of environment - the immediate concern is affordability and availability. Yes, we are very used to small town living (our booming town has a current population of 27,000), but both my husband and I have lived in much larger metropolitan areas. After moving here it took me quite awhile to adjust to NOT have a mall every mile or so, but it took no time to adjust to a 4 minute drive to work.
Quote:
Unfortunately you'll also notice that owning a vehicle is a necessity. Like you I also hope to relocate to a "walkable" neighborhood, but that isn't very practical in our area. I think your best bet might be to look into Hyde Park on Scranton's West Side, as this is a neighborhood I'm also scoping out for an apartment for myself in late-2009. Here you have some nice older homes, sidewalks, a lot of younger families, generally low crime, and the ability to walk to a small downtown district along Main Avenue (barber shops/beauty parlors, restaurants, drug stores, convenience stores, ice cream parlor, a grocery store, churches, parks, etc.) You're also a quick drive (or rather unpleasant walk) to Downtown where you'll find the Steamtown Mall (anchored by Boscov's, The Bon-Ton, and the soon-to-be-defunct Steve & Barry's) as well as a growing arts and nightlife scene. You're also a short drive from Dickson City and the area surrounding the Viewmont Mall (anchored by Macy's, Sears, JCPenney), where you'll find every big-box store and chain restaurant known to man (as well as horrific traffic).
We don't qualify as a "young family" unless you're referring to mental age. Our son is 19 and will be looking for work.

Any recommended web sites that will help us learn about the area?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 PM

Try some of these for starters:

Events and Tourism in Northeast PA: Happenings Magazine Since 1969
The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce - Scranton! (http://www.scrantonchamber.com/scranton/Default.htm - broken link)
September 2008
Greater Scranton Board of Realtors, Inc. - Home
News Weather Information for Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania | WNEP-TV
PAHomePage.com

Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,111,006 times
you might also want to check out clarks summit...which is approx. 6 miles
from scranton...

Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
you might also want to check out clarks summit...which is approx. 6 miles
from scranton...
Yes. Clarks Summit is nice as well. There just aren't a whole lot of rentals up in that area. There are mostly single-family homes for resale.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM

203 posts, read 574,333 times
There's a half of a double next door to me for rent.
It's a 3 bedroom in West Scranton. The job dept. is a little harder but I can give you some ideas. My oldest is 18, so I have an idea.
I think they're asking $650/ month. I'm not sure what's included. I'll p.m. you if you want more info.

I personally really like where I live. The neighbors are very friendly & we all watch out for each other. The parking of 3 cars is the only concern. There is only room for one out front & maybe one behind the garage with that house.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonWest View Post
There's a half of a double next door to me for rent.
It's a 3 bedroom in West Scranton. The job dept. is a little harder but I can give you some ideas. My oldest is 18, so I have an idea.
I think they're asking $650/ month. I'm not sure what's included. I'll p.m. you if you want more info.
Thanks, WatsonWest. It's a little too early for us to commit to a 3 bedroom just yet. Our plans - as they stand now - are for him to work for at least 2 - 3 months to be sure the job is what he wants and is what it now appears to be. Once he's sure of that our son and I will make the move. I'm not prepared to give up my current job and health insurance until his job is secure.

In the meantime he'll have to find someplace to live there while our son and I maintain an apartment here. Finances are a big concern and will remain that way until all this is settled.

I hope all this makes sense. It's a stressful time for us and we want to make this move in the most financially/emotionally responsible way possible.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 AM

904 posts, read 2,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieBee View Post
Are there any parts of town where a lot of things are within walking distance? (All 3 of us have a car, but I like to walk when possible.)
Hi Bessie, I second ScranBarre's recommendation of Hyde Park (part of Westside or West Scranton.) I recently moved there with my family, and walkability was important to us. It's one of the few neighborhoods with decent amenities withing walking distance, and a lot of other offerings within a 5-10 min drive.

Another place we were considering was the town of Old Forge, as it also is fairly walkable depending on where you live.

Note, though, that Scranton residents have a whopping 3.4% wage tax (vs say 1% in Old Forge), but the lower property prices (and rents I'd presume) often offset that.

I don't have a realtor or site recommendation for rentals-- few realtors seem to get walkability, and rental listings online seem sparse. I'd recommend driving or walking around to find a particular area you like and scope out "for rent" signs around. Some blocks will be nicer than others.

You can get a general sense of the rental market on craigslist as well, but listings usually don't have addresses, so hard to tell if they're anywhere you'd want to live or not:
scranton / wilkes-barre apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Also, you may find this little tool handy for scoping out how walkable a home is: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address Not a perfect measure, but gives some sense.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Thanks, blip! We've got a lot of research to do, but it's the kind I enjoy. The more I investigate the Scranton area the more pleased I am. This is going to be a good move.

I grew up on PA, on the other side :-). Just north of Pittsburgh.

Can someone point me to FAQs for this forum? I'm a long time forum (and usenet) poster here in Iowa, but this set up is unfamiliar to me. What does it mean to add to someone's reputation? What's the point of rating a post as positive? I'm pretty internet/computer savvy, but have the charming trait to not see something that's right under my nose. My google skills are thoroughly underwhelming. I like to post, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania