Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

What are they charging per square foot? My sister is looking to build one that is 1000-1200 Sq feet. Nothing spectacular or any upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,300 times
I guess your talking about houses !! You don't build them, they bring them already built !!
Anyway, if we are on the same subject -- you can buy one anywhere from approx. $50,000 on
up, depending on how many modules you want. Mine is two modules and was less than $60,000, not bad for a home thats ready to move in - in about a month !!!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
I guess your talking about houses !! You don't build them, they bring them already built !!
Anyway, if we are on the same subject -- you can buy one anywhere from approx. $50,000 on
up, depending on how many modules you want. Mine is two modules and was less than $60,000, not bad for a home thats ready to move in - in about a month !!!
What's the sq footage ? Where did you get it? Do you have a crawl space?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Another consideration would be to invest in at least a minimal partial basement or subterranean "panic room" to seek shelter in should a tornado ever come your way. During the violent Lake Carey tornado the only two people to die were killed when their mobile home was struck. Tornadoes aren't as rare in NEPA as you'd think. There were weaker ones as well in recent years in Dallas, Mountain Top, and Promised Land State Park. In lieu of this an inexpensive storm shelter would do the trick. It's rare to get a tornado more powerful than an EF-1 around these parts, but the one that destroyed Lake Carey was an EF-3.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
With the budget I have, I'm pretty much set on the modular route. When I go to build I wont have a year to fart around with stick built homes and custom this and that. I think 1500 sq ft is going to be my limit and that should hold me for 10 years at least. The way I am planning it is a basement with the garage in it.

I like the fact the modules are built under a roof in a factory rather than like my parents stick built house built in the wind, snow and rain.

My dream home is a timber frame barn home but I think that is out of my reach financially right now.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What are they charging per square foot? My sister is looking to build one that is 1000-1200 Sq feet. Nothing spectacular or any upgrades.
Do you want a modular or a mobile home. Theres a difference so tell your sister to be careful. I think that they price the homes according to whats in them, upgrades and stuff. We have a Pleasant Valley Home and we went to their model home village and seen the different models. They can tell you their sales person in the area she is looking to build, I would guess that all modular manufacturers do the same sort of thing.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 AM

I was just going to clarify that. Modular only! No manufactured or mobile. There is a big difference.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Becky we went to a modular home builder and here is a link Pine Grove Housing Group You have to go to Pleasant Valley to see the pictures of the modulars which is on this site. They also sell mobiles on the site at pinegrovehomes. Their model home village is worth going to because you can actually go into the factory where they make the modulars and see them at work. And of course you can go into any of the home models.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Becky we went to a modular home builder and here is a link Pine Grove Housing Group You have to go to Pleasant Valley to see the pictures of the modulars which is on this site. They also sell mobiles on the site at pinegrovehomes. Their model home village is worth going to because you can actually go into the factory where they make the modulars and see them at work. And of course you can go into any of the home models.
Thanks for the link. Do you have any idea what their prices are?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Thanks for the link. Do you have any idea what their prices are?
They dont sell you the modular. They are only the manufacturer. You go there and if you like the modular they will, according to where you live, give you the name of a contractor. All modulars are priced by their upgrades. For example: You can buy one for 150,000 with no upgrades and the same one for 200,000 with upgrades. You have to shop around, but be careful there are many builders that arent reputable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania