Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,379,591 times

Advertisements

Welcome back, JG! I love the picture of the tractors in the NEPA to Poughkeepsie pictures. Hope you don't mind, I made it my wallpaper on my desktop. I think you're tractors are sexy!.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,426,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusonlyvoice View Post
that was amazing george ... You were my role model! I knew it!
lol!!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Welcome back, JG! I love the picture of the tractors in the NEPA to Poughkeepsie pictures. Hope you don't mind, I made it my wallpaper on my desktop. I think you're tractors are sexy!.....
For as long as I can remember, people have ALWAYS been attracted to my butt & my tractors!!!

(sigh.........it's a curse.....)

Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Here's some random thoughts about our trip that popped into my pea-brain in no cohesive order....

1) Out of all the states we stayed or stopped in, the people of NEPA were hands-down the nicest & the friendliest & seemed very happy!! Very impressive given the preconception I had from comments on these threads about the condition & mindset of the area...

2) The nastiest people were in NYC & Virginia...go figure...

3) Out of the areas in NEPA we saw, my favorite was Nanticoke. I LOVE the "hilly village" feel of it as opposed to the sprawl of WB. If we were to move north, I would choose there at this point (though other towns like Jim Thorpe & Bloomsburg also seem to have the same feel via the pix I've seen...)

4) If you've never been, go to The Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke!! Their baked goods are excellent & we STILL can't believe their prices!! While we were waiting for them to gather all our stuff, Bill ordered 2 large coffees, 2 cheese danishes & 1 large cookie & it came to $2.47!!!! Down here that would've paid for 1 cheese danish!!! I even asked the owner how they could stay in business charging so little!!! It felt like we'd walked into a time-warp!!

5) Paul, our XB did extremely well on the trip. Even with all the mountains y'all got up there we averaged 30-35mpg with the car packed to the hilt the whole trip!! It also did well on the snow-packed streets with the AWD. I know you were considering an XB, so that's our experience in your area...

6) I thought it was so cool driving on the Pa Tpke where all the deer crossing signs had red noses stuck on the deer pix!! I wonder if it was a state thing, or if some private individual had a great sense of humor!!

7) Also on the Tpke I was amazed to see the occasional stopping ramps for outta control trucks on the steep inclines!! Never saw anything like that before!!!

As other random thoughts filter through my everyday brain-fog, I'll post other observations...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,566,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Get them from Mom & Pop's in WB!! They are UN-F-N-BELIEVEABLE!!! If there was a close second to sex...
There already is....it's called CHOCOLATE!! (sometimes I think it takes first personally ) LOL

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,566,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Here's some random thoughts about our trip that popped into my pea-brain in no cohesive order....

6) I thought it was so cool driving on the Pa Tpke where all the deer crossing signs had red noses stuck on the deer pix!! I wonder if it was a state thing, or if some private individual had a great sense of humor!!

7) Also on the Tpke I was amazed to see the occasional stopping ramps for outta control trucks on the steep inclines!! Never saw anything like that before!!!
I never saw the rudolph noses on the tpke signs!! LOL I'll have to keep my eye out for them the next time I head to Jersey next weekend. Those stopping ramps look like they'd be fun for sleigh riding down...lol, that's what I always think when I see them...especially the ones heading down the mountain from Bear Creek.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,110,133 times
welcome back from your world tour...If you noticed I merged the other thread to this one....I see you went to brotherhood winery...did you check
out any in new hope...NEPA is really expanding with some of it's wineries also..with wine bars,etc.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
welcome back from your world tour...If you noticed I merged the other thread to this one....I see you went to brotherhood winery...did you check
out any in new hope...NEPA is really expanding with some of it's wineries also..with wine bars,etc.
Thanks coartist!! Hope you had a great Festivus!!!

No, we didn't have time to check out the New Hope wineries...there was a tree down across the road to the pig farm & didn't get removed 'til 1PM so it cut our day in half....we were trapped!!

I was aching to get some New Hope wines you recommended & we stopped at several wine shops along the way & NONE had any wines from the area (which I found kinda odd...). You'ld think the local shops would want to promote area wines in addition to the usual Chilean & NAPA ones....go figure...

I'm hoping to get back up to NEPA soon...when the weather's W-A-R-M-E-R!!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
There already is....it's called CHOCOLATE!! (sometimes I think it takes first personally ) LOL
At my age, sex is at the bottom of the "important" list!! Our friend said it the best..."youngsters don't know what they're doing, but they can do it all night & older folks know what they're doing but could give a crap"... The best form of birth control over 50....NUDITY!!!

Guess we all got our different "runner-ups" to it though... I've never been a "fan" of chocolate...I usually get a craving once or twice a year that a Kit-Kat bar takes care of fast...

Now pierogi's another story.....

Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,569,580 times
Gosh, I have never been to Nanticoke, now I feel like I should try a visit that way oneday.
Noses on the Turnpike signs, funny........I didn't go up to that elevation on Christmas Eve due to ice in the forcast. I stayed on 380 into Scranton then hooked onto 81 towards Binghamton.
I wonder if that was a joke, if so........how cute.
PA is very friendly. I find this area of SC just about as friendly too. People say hi and hello without knowing who you are, same as back home.
The trip looked like fun. I still havn't finished looking at all those pictures.......a ton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania