Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,082 times

Advertisements

The company i work for just laid off roughly 3% of our work force. All "Non essential employees" whatever that means.

I wish the Executives would cut their pay and tighten their belts during times like this rather than lay off working folks with families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:33 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
Jackie 2008 -- yes I'm laid off and the U.C. lines are ALWAYS busy. So I filed online and never received any money !!! So I went to the office in the Stauffer Ind. Park -- anyway -- I was laid off on Nov. 20 - I received my first payment Jan. 7 !!!!!!!!!! Soooo with all the U.C. claims and the phone lines busy a light bulb went off !! I took the civil service test for U.C. claim interviewer and guess what, I had an interview Friday !!! They need help badly, wouldn't you think they would advertise ?? !!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
Jackie 2008 -- yes I'm laid off and the U.C. lines are ALWAYS busy. So I filed online and never received any money !!! So I went to the office in the Stauffer Ind. Park -- anyway -- I was laid off on Nov. 20 - I received my first payment Jan. 7 !!!!!!!!!! Soooo with all the U.C. claims and the phone lines busy a light bulb went off !! I took the civil service test for U.C. claim interviewer and guess what, I had an interview Friday !!! They need help badly, wouldn't you think they would advertise ?? !!!!
Wow, smart thinking on your part, and I hope you get it!!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
The company i work for just laid off roughly 3% of our work force. All "Non essential employees" whatever that means.

I wish the Executives would cut their pay and tighten their belts during times like this rather than lay off working folks with families.
So I guess they weren't essential to start with !!! Makes one feel really essential !!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:43 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Never been laid off but have been through 1 merger and an outsourcing....not fun!! After the outsourcing at my last job, I was collecting unemployment right up to the last week of benefits when I got the call from my present employer!! I've now been here since 2006 and hope to be for a long time. Back in Sept. '92, I was "let go" (whatever that means) from a job and didn't get another one till June of '95. Boy was about to hang myself!! But I kept my hopes up and eventually dug myself out of that hole. So my best advice, Jackie, keep your spirits up because eventually you'll come out on top!! Don't lose hope!!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:07 PM

343 posts, read 603,864 times
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, about my job and my kitty - had him for over 14 years -it was like a family member that died. Getting back to the job - there are people where I worked that are making $80,000, $60,000, $50,000 compared to my meager upper $20's. Nobody on top had to take a cut though.

Originally Posted by nkotb

BTW, nkotb, the unemployment office is in the Stauffer Industrial Park? The last time I was laid off, 10 years ago, it was in Scranton. How did your interview go? Are they still hiring? Good luck to you!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Sorry about your kitty. My Dh was laid off in September in WNC and we heard PA was better. So hopefully you'll be able to find something SOON!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
That always seems to be the way. I've been laid off several times, my resume is now 2 pages long! It always seems they lay off 8 people making not much at all when they could have laid off one manager and achieved the same savings. But since it's the managers making the decisions, they don't fire themselves.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
I was laid off in late June but got lucky and landed a new job in less than two weeks. The new job expects a huge workload, more like the work of two than one. In the beginning I was stressed out to the max when I would see the mountain of work to get done in eight hours. I had heart palpitations, my blood pressure went up and I snapped on a few occasions.

I just hung in there and eventually, the jobs' many overwhelming tasks started to become second nature. At least I have become used to my job and I am finding some easy days now that the holidays are passed. There is still more than enough sales to keep me working full time so I will just keep on keeping on like we all need to.

We just gotta hang on for the ride and hope for a turn around.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Jackie 2008 -- I thought the interview went well, but who knows !!! Take the test, its easy, I guess theres always openings, starts at $14.38 hourly --- www.scsc.state.pa.us
That one office does the claims for 17 counties !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania