Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:25 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,254,359 times

Advertisements

Scranton's St. Patrick's Day parade is getting some more attention thanks to an article in this month's edition of Philadelphia Magazine.

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 PM

96 posts, read 581,823 times
sounds like fun, I'll have to come see it this year.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:56 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,054,149 times
The article was bought and paid for with the appearance fee for your buddy from the office..........Bought and paid for with city $$$$$$$. Nice try Paul anymore crude attempts at trying to make the city out to be something its not?????? Research your info before you post.....The story about that one already went thru channels. We the tax payers paid for it. The mayor put the fix in on that one to try and take away from his rampant spending and the wave of discontent that is washing thru the city right now.

Last edited by johnycakes; 03-08-2007 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: deleted patronizing pronouns

Old 03-08-2007, 05:35 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,904,288 times
weluvpa, now, now, that's not very positive. Let's all take our happy pills and stay upbeat about everything.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:38 PM

222 posts, read 1,405,554 times
ouch someone doesnt like the city. where are hte double cherry blossoms? and what are cool thigns to do in wilkes-barre scranton? if i was planning a trip from south to north what would i have to see and in what order. i could avoid bars and places that serve alcohol, but would be interested in anything else. actually next week i have off 3 days, so im going to get out sunday night to wednesday afternoon. thanks take care. WHAT IS THERE COOL TO DO? ive been to hazelton and that's about as far as ive gone. and hickor run state park. and ricketts glen.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 PM

142 posts, read 576,757 times
Anyone with a contrary opinion to WBS is 'the keep it down crowd'.. Not everything is black and white Paul..
And as far as St. Paddy's day, Scrantoon doesn not need another excuse to drink. They already do enough of that..!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The article was bought and paid for with the appearance fee for your buddy from the office..........Bought and paid for with city $$$$$$$. Nice try Paul anymore crude attempts at trying to make the city out to be something its not?????? Research your info before you post.....The story about that one already went thru channels. We the tax payers paid for it. The mayor put the fix in on that one to try and take away from his rampant spending and the wave of discontent that is washing thru the city right now.

Really? Is WNEP likewise involved with this "conspiracy", as I copied and pasted that text from their web site? How much more does Doherty own?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 AM

414 posts, read 1,772,965 times
If anybody needs it, there is an "Ignore" button that can be found up above within the drop-down contained in "My Settings"; just type in the name of anyone who you find consistently toxic, nasty {(and obviously not interested in topics at hand...here for the thrill of public provocation (as opposed to private disputation) when there are plenty of other sites for trash)}. Anyway, the "Ignore" button excludes the toxic posts, and is safer for consumption than meds or booze. Just a suggestion since there seems to be no useful moderation.......

In this case, Ignore-ance is bliss....

Last edited by WasPA; 03-09-2007 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 PM

937 posts, read 2,877,793 times
I hear it is going to be a great parade. It's one of the biggest St. Patty's Day parades I hear.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,931,781 times
I am Irish, live in Scranton, and I HATE the St. Patrick's Day parade. I dread the day every year. Its a day when drunks line up at 6 a.m. outside of bars to drink 17 cent green beers until they're in a stupor, stumbling around the streets, urinating, puking, fighting, yelling obscenities, and wearing shirts that say things like "f%@k me I'm Irish." And then the parade organizers have the nerve to market it as a family event. Anyone who takes their kids there should have their head examined. I do not understand how on one hand, the city passes an ordinance to protect public health with the smoking ban, yet on the other, promotes an all-day drunkfest that encourages rowdy drunken behavior and drunken driving, and allows bars to open at the crack of dawn selling beer for 17 cents a draft.

Don't get me wrong, I like beer (good beer, no true Irishman drinks Coors Light, green or not), and I'm Irish-Catholic and proud of it, but to me, Scranton's parade day makes a mockery of Irish heritage and plays on negative stereotypes of the Irish as drunks. St. Patrick's Day is not supposed to celebrate drinking until you puke, it celebrates the fact that St. Patrick spread Christianity to Ireland.

This Irishman will stay home with my family. I'm afraid to even drive the streets around Scranton on parade day with all of the drunks out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania