Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times

Advertisements

If anybody has been thinking of buying a Harmon stoker stove that burns coal, do it! Last year we had an old fashioned coal stove that we had to fill almost every few hours... what a pain in the _ SS that was. I use to fight with the thing constantly. You literally had to be home to maintain the stupid thing or it would go out. You then would have to shake down the ashes, what a mess that was. In the spring I posted the stupid thing online for sale and sold it.
We bought the Harmon stoker stove. It burns rice coal. It has a hopper on the back that we fill everyday or so. The ashes drop to the bottom pan and we empty that every 2 days right now. It will be less as the temps go up.. It's great and I recommend it to anybody that is looking to switch to coal for an alternate heat source!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
memoriesbre, glad to here you are happy with your purchase. To tell you the truth I rarely hear anyone say they are disappointed. I'd like to say never but there might have been one or two out of the tens of thousands I've spoken with. Harman makes a a very good product, you can expect at least two decades of use out of it if not more.

As far as your switch from a hand fired unit they do need attention every 12 hours on average but if turn them down you can get at least 24 hours out of them but that really negates the point of having it in hte first place which is to produce heat. They do have one distinct advantage over a stoker, they still work when the electricity goes out and that is somnething to consider especially if you are in a an area tyhat might experience extended power outages.

One very nice thing to keep in mind is nearly every dollar you have spent on the purchase of your stove and fuel to suplly it has stayed right here in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Default its so much easier

We do have a generator in case the power goes out. We have it wired with a second breaker box. I don't know how to start the generator though.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM

If you have a generator power failures become a non issue, some of my members have also set up battery backups purchased as retail products or homemade for short term power loss.

Learn how to turn that generator on, never know when you might need that knowledge.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Since it was mentioned, can someone recommend a generator size for a 1000 sq. ft. ranch. I have a pellet stove from Harmon, an electric stove, and refrigerator I would like to keep powered during power outages. My other half is diabetic and always complaining she's cold so I need a backup plan for her. I would like to have it wired to the house if possible but everyone I've talked to tells me it's an expensive project. Any assistance/recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
The electric stove puts you up into the very expensive range, a whole house generator hard-wired to your circuit breaker panel. But a small 3 kilowatt unit like found in an RV would carry the pellet stove, the refrigerator, and a microwave oven. That small portable unit could be taken out of the shed or garage when needed, and one or two heavy duty extension cords run from it to the kitchen and living room.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
The electric stove puts you up into the very expensive range, a whole house generator hard-wired to your circuit breaker panel. .
I really know nothing of generators but if it's going to drive the costs up significantly cook on the pellet heater. You might need to take some decorative coverings off, I know just about any coal stove could double as a cook stove. you're not going to boil water on it but in a pinch it will work. You could always get a small Coleman propane stove.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Thumbs up Good Job>>> thecoalman <<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I really know nothing of generators but if it's going to drive the costs up significantly cook on the pellet heater. You might need to take some decorative coverings off, I know just about any coal stove could double as a cook stove. you're not going to boil water on it but in a pinch it will work. You could always get a small Coleman propane stove.
I must say there Mr. Coalman, thank you for all you do for the people here on C-D!! I don't post any many of your topic,s but I always make it a point to read them!! Lot's of good info and advice... I even learn alot from your posts... Keep up the good work!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania